Where to stay and what to do in Houston??

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay and what to do in Houston??

My husband and I and our 2 yr old son are traveling to the Houston area for a job interview. We will be staying closer to the business for most of our visit but would like to spend the last few days in Houston. Niether of us have any clue about the city and I am trying to figure out where we should stay that would make our two days in the city enjoyable. Any suggestions??
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I recommend staying in the museum district and visiting the zoo and the outstanding childrens museum
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
emd

If you are heading to Hermann Park for the zoo, go to the Cockrell Butterfly exhibit at the Science Museum. Your 2 yr old will be delighted w/all the gorgeous butterflies flitting and landing around him. I hope you can get in there without paying the entire science museum admission, I'm not sure about that.

I agree about staying in the museum district but it can be pricey. If you find a good deal downtown (and Priceline has good deals at 4 star hotels downtown, you generally get the Hyatt or the Hilton Americas) there is a light above ground rail that goes from downtown straight to the museum district/Hermann Park area, a few miles apart.

When are you going?
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM

If you want to be in the museum district, there is the medical center area, which is quite close and has hotels in all price ranges.

IN that area, there are many museums, including fine arts, contemporary arts, weather, health, etc. rice University is about across the street, and is an interesting place. Hermann park has a japanese garden and there are paddle boats and a little train near the zoo.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

We are going the first week of November... nothing like last minute!
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Never too late to try Priceline. Check betterbidding.com to see what going rate is for Houston for the time you are going to be there then bid.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 07:19 PM
emd

Priceline bidding for a 4 star hotle downtown is a sure bet- either Hyatt or Hilton Americas, or very rarely you might get Inn at the Ballpark. Those are all very good hotels and in distance to the light rail to the museum/park district.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 06:46 AM

If you don't stay downtown, the only other area I would stay would be the Galleria area, where there is plenty of shopping and restaurants.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:18 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34713815

This is an old thread with lots of restaurant talk. Perhaps you will benefit from it.