Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

where to stay & eat near seattle airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we're flying into Seattle later in the evening, we thought we'd just stay somewhere near the airport, for convenience, the first night, and then head into downtown the next morning.

So I was wondering, which of the "airport" hotels would be our best choice? Obviously we don't want to spend a ton (around $100 preferably) and don't expect luxury, but convenience & cleanliness are always priorities.

Also, are there any decent places to eat near the airport? Looking for a non-chain restaurant, ideally, that wouldn't be too hard to get to, since we'll be tired. Oh, we'll be picking up a rental car as soon as we arrive as well.

Thanks for any input!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

I just read my above post and do apologize for my excessive use of commas. Yikes!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM

You don't have to stay near the airport if you don't want to. Seattle proper is ~20 minutes from SeaTac, which will be easy since you have a car and are arriving later in the evening (likely skipping Seattle traffic). There's really not much around SeaTac--the closest I can think of is a mall, which will have an abundance of chain restaurants.
And you didn't use too many commas. They're all in the correct spots.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:47 AM

Well, to try and make up for your excessive comma use, I'll try and keep my commas, as fun as they are to use, to a minimum, ok?

;-)

Ok, head to http://www.resideo.com/us/washington/seattle/ and click the "Check Availability" button. Choose your dates, submit the form, then use the 'distance from' selector to sort the results around the airport -- that'll put the closest results first, and show you exactly how far away they are from the airport.

Look over the results, see which ones are within your price range, then check for reviews over at tripadvisor.com.

When you've made your choice, go back and book the room online!

Hope that helps..good luck!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM

I agree, definitely worth the drive to Seattle if you're going to have a rental car. No sense in restricting yourself to seatac...
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not stay by the airport (it's ugly down there). Seattle is barely 1/2 hour away, an easy drive on I-5 freeway, and you'll have hundreds more choices of places to eat & sleep!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM

Note that two lanes of I-5 at the south edge of Seattle will be closed August 10-29, and the authorities are begging drivers to choose alternate routes. I would take 99 (aka both Pacific Highway S and International Blvd) into town...it forms the eastern boundary of the airport property. Ignore signs that direct you to I-5 if you will be here between those dates.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Bobmrg -- thanks for the tip. That's when we'll be there!

thepeters -- thanks for the link; it's very helpful.

To everyone else who replied, I do realize that the vicinity of the airport is not the most scenic spot for a vacation. That is why we're spending the following four nights at the Inn at the Market, and the three nights after that at the Wedgewood in Vancouver.
I also realize that the drive into town probably isn't all that difficult, especially if you live there. However, for people (like us) who have never been to Seattle, will be arriving after dark, possibly in the rain (who knows?), tired, and hungry, we decided that we might just as well save a couple hundred dollars and a little stress, and crash somewhere near the airport. We'll just want a shower and a bed.
Does that make any more sense than my first post?

Any other suggestions?
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM

The nicest hotel at the airport is the Marriott but I have a feeling it's more than $100. The Red Lion's pretty decent, and there are all the usual chains like Hampton Inn.

There's actually a good Thai restaurant out there called Bai Tong, at 15859 International Blvd (Rt 99, the main drag down there).

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM

Ditto the Bai Tong recommendation.

There's a hotel directly across from the entrance to the airport that used to be a Wyndham...it's something else now but I can't think what. It's decent enough for an overnight with your requirements (shower, sleep). The company I used to work for had a corporate rate there of around $80/night. A block or two north of that is a 13 Coins restaurant. Not the greatest, but it seems you're just looking for convenient. There's also a DoubleTree, a Red Lion, and a Red Roof Inn in the same area.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM

blm1, I should mention that the road construction affects only the northbound lanes of the freeway...heading back to the airport strip from town is unaffected.

Another vore for the Bai Tong, btw.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My parents stayed at the Raddison recently. I'm not sure where they got there rate/booking but think it was around the price you seek. It was compmletely adequate and the dining room was not bad either.