Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Where to stay and dine in Asheville...
Notices

Where to stay and dine in Asheville...

Sep 1st, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay and dine in Asheville...

Hi there I am planning my first trip to Asheville next week. I looked a the Inn at Biltmore, frankly because the reviews were great and it was priced great. Do you think that it is too far from town? Also it is my birthday and we would love to go to a really great and maybe special restaurant? I would love suggestions.
Sep 1st, 2013, 02:20 PM

French Broad Chocolate is awesome place for something sweet. Off the charts, might be appropriate words.
Sep 1st, 2013, 02:22 PM

It is a little outside of town but it is beautiful. There is a square right outside the main gates and there are several shops and restaurants there that you can enjoy. There are many things you can do on the grounds of the Biltmore Estate - bike, hike, segway, etc. I am not sure what you are interested in, but the grounds are lovely. Another great hotel on the other side of town is Grove Park Inn - it has the MOST fabulous spa. If you love that kind of thing then you should check it out. If nothing else, go up and have a drink or dinner and sit in the wonderful lobby.
You really can't go wrong in Asheville. Parking is easy in the downtown area - there are parking garages in several really good locations for walking around the downtown area.
Have fun! I have to mention that Curate' is a favorite of ours for Spanish tapas.
Sep 1st, 2013, 02:57 PM

Bouchon in the downtown area is another fun restaurant for dinner. French Country style bistro with many mussel specials.
Sep 3rd, 2013, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies... I think we decided on The Grand Bohemian, simply because we can pay with points. WE are still looking for a special restaurant for a birthday dinner. We are driving from South Florida and really looking forward to seeing this part of the country!
Sep 4th, 2013, 05:11 AM

I think that the Grand Bohemian is an excellent choice. It's such a cool hotel, and it's not too far from the downtown area. I have stayed there twice and highly recommend it.

I don't know enough Asheville restaurants to recommend anything for a special birthday, but I agree that, as mentioned above, Curate is definitely worth trying if you like tapas. The owners worked at elBulli, and it's so amazing that they chose Asheville for their restaurant!
Sep 4th, 2013, 10:13 AM

Table is one of our favorites for a special meal. Rezaz will be near your hotel and it's also very good, but maybe not a birthday meal type place. I would agree with a previous post that the Grove Park Inn and/or spa is worth some of your time! Beautiful experience!
Sep 5th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions! I just booked our spa treatments at the Grove Park Inn. I am excited, I also looked at the menu for Curate and thought it sounded like a lot of fun! For birthday dinner I booked the dining room at the Biltmore...Do you think that is a good choice? I am going to look at Table as well. Thanks for help!

Search this Thread