Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

where to stay 3 nights washington dc with family of five?

Jul 6th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

We are having our once in a life time trip, 7 days Orlando, 3 days new orleans, 3 days washington dc then 4 days hawaii. Where is a family friendly (safe) place, close to all the touristy things or at least close to transport to the touristy things (white house, memorials, arlington any other suggestions?) It seems that hotels in America don't cater for families of five and we have to book two rooms, so $100 a night per room is our max budget. Is it safe in Washington DC? are there any MUST DO things? WE would appreciate any help!
Jul 6th, 2003, 05:29 AM

trishfromoz,

Washington DC is a very safe city.

Have you considered suites hotels? The DC area is full of them and they most will accommodate a family of five. I seem to recall you posting elsewhere that you had older kids who could not share a bed?

I'd recommend the Washington Suites Georgetown which is not really in Georgetown but at the perimeter, about a 3 block walk to the Foggy Bottom metro station. It's in a very safe area, has restaurants and a nice grocery nearby. It's major appeal tho is the set up is more like a one bedroom apartment. Very spacious living/dining area (with pullout queen sofabed), full sized kitchen and separate bedroom. The bedroom can be one or two beds and rollaways are available. I'm sure that could accommodate your $200/night budget. Website is www.washingtonsuiteshotel.com.

There is a relatively recent thread that discusses downtown suites hotels and and touring ideas. Some complain if you top a post here so I'll direct you to this url:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34414324 (called Family of 5 Needs Help Please)

When are you visiting Washington? Specific interests for you and the kids? I would think the many Smithsonian musuems would be a must do. Air and Space and the History museums seem especially popular with kids. The White House is closed for all but a couple of a tours (school groups and US military/vets). I'm' sure you'll get lots of good input on what to do.

Sounds like a fantastic trip and you certainly are going to cover a lot of territory.
Jul 6th, 2003, 06:07 AM

There are several Embassy Suites in DC, which offer two-room suites with a kitchenette and a sofabed in the livingroom, and two double beds in the bedroom. They also offer huge free breakfasts, which are a great saver of time and hassle as well as money for vacationing families.

The one in Alexandria is right across the street from a Metro station, the one in Chevy Chase is literally on top of the Friendship Heights station, and the one in Crystal City is a few blocks from the Metro. Not sure about the others.

You didn't give the ages of your kids, but in my experience, being very close to a Metro stop, to avoid hikes in the morning and especially at the end of the day, is better than having to walk farther to a stop that's closer-in. We recently stayed at the ES in Chevy Chase (got a great bargain) and found it absolutely delightful to just almost literally ride the escalator up from the train station into the hotel!
Jul 6th, 2003, 08:37 AM
esg

agree with Embassy suites. We stayed at 22nd street location. Remember this being very nice hotel walking distance (about 1/2 mile?)to georgetown where we spent all our nights. Moderate long walk to lincoln memorial. Metro stop not too close though. Has small pool. I recall as expensive for an embassy suite but we'd go back.
Jul 6th, 2003, 10:47 AM

For good rates on ES and other hotels, go to www.washingtondchotels.com.
Jul 20th, 2003, 06:51 PM

Hi,we stayed at the Carlyle Suites in dupont circle. Was 44 dollars per adult and kids were free. was a suite so 2 beds and fold out couch. We were there over july 4th. was about 2 and half blocks to the metro line. Was very clean and convenient. would recommend!
Jul 20th, 2003, 08:47 PM

www.inn-dc.com
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:48 AM

We stayed at Summerfield Suites at Embassy Square (wyndham hotel), 1 1/12 blocks to Dupont Circle metro. Great neighborhood, free breakfast, nice small pool, 1 BR suite with two full beds, pull out queen sofa, full kitchen. Had excellent service and convenient downstairs parking (in/out no problem). The metro really is a 2 minute walk. Convenient stores, CVS, etc and restaurants all around. Would definitely stay there again! Got a great wyndham webrate for $94.00 a night.

Only 3 days in DC is not a lot of time but you MUST see the monuments at night. Go after 9pm, very safe and less crowded. You can even park around them (for free), otherwise, park the car and take the metro. I would not stay any further from the metro than 2 blocks, you do so much walking in DC and with kids, having a "home" close is so nice at the end of the day. Have fun.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:46 AM

The Embassy Suites in DC (Embassy Row area)is also running some good summertime rates and it includes a full breakfast-well worth it when traveling with 3 children. also an indoor pool which is great if the weather doesnt cooperate. The washingtonhotel website offers some great rates for it, as well as many other suite style hotels.