Where to Start w/ 2 Days in Asheville, NC!

May 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Where to Start w/ 2 Days in Asheville, NC!

My husband and I will be heading to Asheville for the first time in Aug. for two days before we head up Blueridge Parkway. The 2nd day will be the Biltmore. Our drive will get us there the day before at dinnertime. Could someone suggest the best street and/or location we should head to for walking around and checking out restaurants and shops? (and the best place to park would be helpful). We have a GPS so we could plug in a particular place if that would help us get started. Thank you!
May 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM

What type food are you interested in? I can't recall the best places to park but I can tell you the places we loved for dinner.

Limones (pronouned lee-mo-nays) has a Tex-Mex flair, Savoy (not downtown but worth the drive) has a varied menu, Tupelo Honey is more casual and features Southern cuisine. We really enjoyed all of these!
May 26th, 2010, 01:47 AM

Albemarle is fabulous B&B place to stay in Asheville. Nice Italian place just up the street.

Biltmore is breathtaking!
May 27th, 2010, 08:53 AM

I also, highly recommed Tupelo Honey. My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner there with my niece and her friend while they were students at the university. I don't remember the street name, but if you look up this restaurant and park anywhere nearby you will enjoy the walk around that area. Lots of restaurants and quaint shops. As I remember we parked in a public parking lot about three blocks from the restaurant. Asheville is a nice town. Also, if you enjoy wine do take the time to try wine tasting at Biltmore.
May 27th, 2010, 08:59 AM

I was there a couple years ago and we stayed at the Renaissance Hotel downtown. It was a great location for walking into town.
Jun 5th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Wherever you end up staying, you should definitely park downtown (a parking garage is easiest) and check out as many of the side streets as you have time for.

From Pack Square most of the cool places are West. If you walk South on Biltmore Ave.(25), I wouldn't go past the French Broad Food Coop. Going North on Biltmore Ave., stop around Woodfin St. and turn around or take Woodfin West to N. Lexington and go South on Lexington.

West from Pack Square, you can take either Patton Ave. or College St. until they merge, which is about where you will find Tupelo Honey - well worth stopping at, especially if you'll be downtown walking anyway.

Two more great places to walk are around the Grove Arcade (Battery Park Ave.) and Wall St. which is between Battery Park Ave. and Patton Ave. Find a good map, or maybe just zoom all the way in to Asheville on Google Maps and you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

If you have limited time, just stick with the streets around Tupelo Honey (which is on College St. very close to the Patton/College merge). Have a great trip!
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

I much appreciate everyone's input!
Jul 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM

If you have time when you visit the Biltmore, I highly recommend the Legacy of the Land tour. It was fun and informative.

Mrs D
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Whether you eat there or not, you might want to look inside the McDonalds located at the Biltmore Village just outside the entrance into the Biltmore. Travel Channel rated it the world's most unique McDonalds in the world...but the food is still the same.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:12 PM

Don't know if you've left for this trip yet, but if not, DON'T MISS lunch (or dinner) at Salsa. It's a casual restaurant on Patton St. just a few doors down (literally) the street from Pack Square, the center of town.

Salsa has the most creative food I've had in years -- a combination of Mexican and Island w/ a little Mediterranean/Indian flavors thrown in for good measure. The portions are HUGE -- plenty for two to share. It's my favorite restaurant in NC. We live in Charlotte -- and frequently drive up for the day; we never miss lunch at Salsa.

Another on our must-do list is a visit to the Blue Spiral Gallery. If you like contemporary art, this is one place you'll want to see. All of the streets around Pack Square -- within about a 2-mile radius or so have great fun art galleries, funky shops (L.O.F.T across from the Mellow Mushroom is a fav -- stands for "lost objects, found treasures") and if you like history, the Tom Wolfe house is open to the public for self-guided tours.

Downtown Asheville is a very walkable town -- you can walk around all day and find great places to explore.

Have a great trip to one of the lovliest cities in the US!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM

Our favorite restaurant in Asheville is Bouchon! It is country french food and we have never been disappointed in the meal - we go to Asheville once or twice a month and it is always worth a visit. It is on Lexington Ave. which is right off the downtown square. ashevillebouchon.com/
I woud recommend driving up to Grove Park Inn and having drinks on the veranda or in the bar and soaking up the history of this place.
It is a great town!
Aug 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM

There is a realy neat bookstore called Malaprops in this downtown area - not many locally owned bookstores left. All around this area are so many "neat" little shops to wander through. Hope you have a great visit. Ask a local where you should go - they will be more than glad to help you. We have gotten tips on so many places to visit.