Reload this Page >

Where to shop and stay in DC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 06:46 AM
Michele

Where is the best shopping in DC? We are two women coming in for a weekend and want to know where to stay so that we can shop and not have to drive around in the city. Malls are fine. Which are the best? Which hotels are newest and nicest but still economical? Hope to get a great weekend rate and not have to pay for parking. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 07:31 AM
Judy

As far as I recall, there are no decent hotels in DC proper that offer free parking. If you go out to the suburbs, there's no charge since they usually have outdoor lots. One example would be the Bethesda Marriott. (Also not too far from a Metro stop) But if you only have a weekend and really want to take in the sights, it may not make sense to do that. Depends on what you want to do.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 11:56 AM
sam

Tysons Corner is a fabulous mall right out on the west side of the beltway--

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 12:41 PM
Susan

Check the rates at the Ritz Tysons. They usually have good weekend rates with free parking and breakfast.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:02 PM
Nikki

Michele
Forgive me please but I must ask "Don't you have any shopping or any malls where you live? I read your note a couple times and I can't quite comprehend someone coming here to stay at a hotel and go shopping.

There are lots of malls around here with pretty much the same stores that are throughout the country. But in Georgetown we do have some shops that you won't find around the country. Oh - but you said you wanted malls.

Are you sure we can't talk you into seeing some great history around the Washington DC area??

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:20 PM
Mike

I actually understand why someone who doesn't live near a big city would want to shop, so I won't give you too hard a time.

I would avoid Tysons, since it is really just an awful place beyond the shopping and you will be completely stuck if you go there.

I would try something near Pentagon City. There is a mall (Fashion Center) with a Macy's and a Nordstroms, plus all the usual stuff. There is a Ritz, but also some more reasonably priced places near by. The great thing is that Pentagon City is on the Metro, so you can go into the city.

Another fun place to shop, although there are a lot fewer stores, is in Chevy Chase. Hechts, Lord & Taylor, Saks, Nieman Marcus plus Filenes Basement and other stores. It isn't a mall, but probably the biggest "one stop shopping" It is at the Friendship Heights Metro. There are a couple of hotels nearby, including a Holiday INn and an Embassy Suites.

I wouldn't hold my breath on free parking anywhere near DC; welcome to the big city.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 07:27 PM
Marti

Actually, I just stayed at the Ritz Carlton Pentagon City, it's connected to Fashion Center Mall, and it was a great deal, $179, which included parking and breakfast. Parking and breakfast would cost you $50 easy, so you're getting a 5 star hotel for $129. More important, the Metro is right outside the door, so when you want to take in some DC culture, you're minutes away.
Have a fun trip!!

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
Stephanie P.

Michele:

I'd suggest staying in the suburbs of D.C. and then getting a subway into the city. I'd suggest staying at Best Western in Old Town Alexandria, VA. You can easily drive to the subway stop (King Street-yellow line) and then take the subway. There is plenty of shopping and restaurants in this town too. There is a Giant Supermarket right across the street from the Best Western on Washington Street. The others are right, there is a Pentagon and Crystal City - mini-shopping malls in the subway system. In D.C. get off at Metro Center (main hub of subway) and there hopefully will still be Hecht's in that area, along with the Old Post Office and The Shops at J.W. Marriott. You could also take subway to G.W. Univ. stop and then take a short taxi ride over to Georgetown on Saturday or Sunday.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:07 PM
Christina

I agree with Mike, I think those are the best suggestions. I hate Tysons, I wouldn't recommend anyone ever go there-- it's a mess with the traffic around there, there's no metro, and there are two malls, far apart and one is nothing special at all. Within the city, I'd recommend Georgetown because they have a nice mall there on the waterfront as well as some other stores along the streets so you'd feel more in the city than just any mall, and they have a mini-mall in Union Station but it depends what you want to shop for, it doesn't have dept. stores.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:21 PM
Christina

As for parking, I don't think the nicest and newest hotels have free parking. The Omni up near Woodley metro is a nice historic hotel with some rooms with good views to the south and it was just refurbished -- they have a large outdoor lot and a large property so that might be a good spot for you, it's within a block of a metro also and there are lots of good small ethnic restaurants nearby. I think they do charge for parking, but it may be less than some other hotels with smaller space, you could ask.

The Savoy Suites on Wisconsin Avenue near the National Cathedral does have free parking, actually, and that is a central location just above Georgetown (www.savoysuites.com). It's not one of the nicest hotels, though, but quite economical. I think they may have a shuttle to a metro station, I'm not sure.

I'd look for the best hotel deal you can find, and forget about getting free parking, just pay for it. Parking is a minor cost compared to the hotel, and if you get a good deal on the hotel it will more than make up for paying for parking (probably $15-20 a day in most downtown places). If you are just coming for shopping in a mall, though, stay in the suburbs.