Reload this Page >

Where to meet friends and lovers NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Sloane

Not really a travel question anyone have any ideas on where singles can meet? I am in my early 40's and just moved to the upper east side and looking to meet friends and then some. Any clues out there?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:29 AM
xxx

Myabe you should try the personal ads in the New Yorker. Or I'm sure that they have singles evenings at places like the Met. Hanging out in Central Park is probably a good place to meet people. Why not sign up for some classes? Cooking, tennis, painting, yoga, etc...
You live in a huge city with activities going on 24 hours a day. Go out and live life and I'm sure you'll meet people along the way.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:52 AM
phil

When I was single, (which only ended last year) I thought the best way to meet people was through volunteer work. I made several great friends that way and dated several people I met, as well. (The reward of volunteering was the main reason, the meeting people part was an added bonus.)

You might want to get in touch with New York Cares. It is a volunteer agency that has numerous projects that you can participate in.

In terms of places to meet people, post work, the bars in and around mid-town are good. My favorites include Tao on E. 55th, Morrel's Wine Bar at Rockefeller Center, and the Royalton on 44th. You might want to check out Gustavino's in the tower of the 59th St. bridge. Last time I was there, about 6 months ago, the crowd on a Friday was a little older than the normal upper-east side 20 somethings.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Sloane

to the top as Friday evening rolls around any more suggestions?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:24 PM
jhm

1. Volunteer groups, definitely. City Harvest, etc. etc.

2. Religious organizations.

3. 92nd Street Y lectures.

4. Classes at the Met, Museum of Natural History or MoMa.

5. Drip Cafe on Columbus on the Upper West.

6. Classes at the gym (Upper East -- probably Equinox).

Good luck -- welcome to NY!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Joey

I meet my friends at the Y and my lovers at the Port Authority