Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   where to live on cali coast???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-live-on-cali-coast-601505/)

darbyvt Mar 22nd, 2006 02:41 PM

where to live on cali coast????

Hi! I'm looking to move to California in April for a 3 month job assignment (I'm a travel nurse). Lived in San Diego and LOVED it!!! Now I'm drying up in Phoenix and miss the beach desperately. I want a beach town, laid back and not too pretentious with lots of young people and lots to do! Basically San Diego but NOT San Diego...thinking Orange County area but I got a possible offer in Santa Maria, any info on this area??

Basically, any info on hospitals (particularly Children's Hospitals) and good towns to live in much appreciated, love Cali and can't wait to come back for some warm sunshine!

suze Mar 22nd, 2006 02:44 PM

Santa Cruz?

J_Correa Mar 22nd, 2006 02:48 PM

Santa Cruz might fit your criteria. It wont be quite as warm as southern California, but it is a good beach town with a laid back atmosphere. It is smaller than San Diego, but has a fair amount going on, esspecially in the summer. As far as hospitals go - there is Dominican Hospital and a birthing center. I am not sure what else.

suze Mar 22nd, 2006 03:15 PM

Santa Barbara?

enzian Mar 22nd, 2006 03:31 PM

I was born in Santa Maria so I'm biased, but it's grown a LOT since I lived there. The closest beach towns---Pismo, Shell Beach, and Avila are small and definitely "laid back", but there's not a lot to do other than the beach.

trippinkpj Mar 22nd, 2006 04:03 PM

I like the Santa Maria, Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo area. Also, Santa Cruz, Castroville, Marina, Monterey and Pacific Grove. I like most of the Central Coast beach towns. I live in San Jose near Los Gatos, so Santa Cruz is only 1/2 hr. from me (in non-commute times).

trippinkpj Mar 22nd, 2006 04:05 PM

Maybe Enzian can elaborate. I think Santa Maria which is inland, is about 20 minutes from beach towns including Pismo Beach.

moneygirl Mar 22nd, 2006 04:43 PM

I live in Grover Beach and work in Santa Maria... it's a great area. There are four hospitals in the immediate area, all in the need of nurses! Two in San Luis Obispo, one in Arroyo Grande and one in Santa Maria.

Of the three cities,San Luis Obispo will have the most young people.. it's a college town. (Cal Poly SLO) The weather is warm and you're 5 minutes from the beach.

You can check job listings at catholichealthcarewest.org.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions.

darbyvt Mar 22nd, 2006 06:36 PM

Thanks for the replies so far! So can I live in Pismo Beach and work in Santa Maria (at Marian hospital?) What is there to do around there? What about weather for mid april-mid july?

I would love a place like San Diego that has good surfing, good places to ride bikes/boardwalks, dog friendly, lots to do and good nightlife. I loved all the good live music all summer and things like Del Mar Fridays. I also liked variety of PB vs. downtown and La Jolla and having the sports teams...I guess it was really the perfect place for me. I do want a beach where I can actually lay out that will be nice and warm....worried it will be too cold and foggy up North.

Gardyloo Mar 22nd, 2006 06:56 PM

I wasn't going to chime in until you atoned and vowed never again to use the term "Cali" unless you're referring to a city in Colombia noted for drug cartels.

But I am spineless.

Pismo is no La Jolla. SLO is no San Diego.

If you want big-town-big-kahuna beach culture, nightlife, yadda, then it's San Diego metro or LA metro. Pismo is nice but the water is pretty friggin' cold, and it's not very big, so once you've walked along the beach, your latte is still half full. Cute, to be sure.

I think you should look around the LA South Bay or Long Beach, maybe Seal Beach/Huntington/Newport in OC, maybe even Laguna. You'd likely have to look a bit inland for affordable housing, but the options will be broader because the market is much bigger.

Santa Maria, Lompoc, etc. will feel pretty small and rural compared to SD. IMO.

Go visit and see for yourself.

ed Mar 22nd, 2006 07:12 PM

The LA area has several Childrens' Hospitals LA Childrens, Miller Childrens' a part of Long Beach Memorial, Mattel Chidrens' at UCLA, and Children's Hospital of Orange county.
Cottage Hospital in Sant Barbara has an excellent Peds. Department. :-B

darbyvt Mar 22nd, 2006 07:33 PM

First--sorry about the "cali" thing, just lazy typing! All these tips only have me more overwhelmed! There are just so many beautiful places to see and different things to do. I got a glimpse when we drove down the PCH from San Francisco but it was a quick one.

Seems like the Southern areas closer to Long Beach might be more what I'm looking for, save all the Northern parts for road trips. I'm from Virginia Beach on the East coast, so I guess I'm just trying to find a little piece of home along with new adventures so far away! ---not to mention I have to find a job and move in three weeks so crunch time can be stressful!! :)

darbyvt Mar 22nd, 2006 08:25 PM

Also, Ed---I'm familiar with all those hospitals but still get confused as to where they all are exactly. If I were to live in Manhattan, Hermosa/South Bay ish areas, what would be best commute wise? Any ideas on what beach towns are closest to what hospitals? The one thing I do NOT want to do is live in the middle of LA! Thanks!!

enzian Mar 22nd, 2006 08:59 PM

Gardyloo---thank you, once again you said what I should have. As a third generation Californian (my grandparents were born in California, and my paarents both grew up in Santa Maria), I can't stand this "Cali" thing.

I think the South Coast beach towns will be more to Darby's liking. Maybe Del Mar? San Clemente? Oceanside?

LoveItaly Mar 22nd, 2006 10:59 PM

Hi enzian, as a third generation California also I cringe when I see California or CA referred to as cali or Cali. But I have mentioned it so many times and have been so put down that I just don't respond to post that use cali of Cali in their title. I am interested that you and Garydloo mentioned it.

darbyvt, like using the name of people in a proper manner it is good to use the name of areas in a proper manner, whether feeling lazy or not. Best wishes that you find a spot in California that will work out for you .

Gardyloo Mar 23rd, 2006 04:45 AM

And now that we've beaten up poor darbyvt about place names, let's get back to the point...

None of the major childrens hospitals are especially close to MB/HB etc. Miller Hospital would be convenient enough from Long Beach, and in fact, reading your post, I think you might want to give a long look to the Belmont Shore area of south Long Beach. Variety of housing, fun shopping/restaurant/bar scene along 2nd St, good beaches close by, and okay access to the freeway system as well as the OC beaches.

Or look north to the Venice/Ocean Park/Santa Monica area, where commuting to LA Children's would be feasible I suppose.

darbyvt Mar 23rd, 2006 09:23 AM

Ok I PROMISE never to say Cali again no matter how lazy I am! :) I think the Belmont Shores, South Bay areas sound good. I think really there is something good all down the coast, I think I will enjoy wherever I end up, even if it's is up north. Even if it's not hot sunny beach weather, sounds like there is still tons to do and appreciate. I guess wherever I get the best job offer is where I'm meant to be, for three months anyway! Thanks again!

I'm realizing too that my setup in San Diego, great apartment with hospital only 6 min door to door is pretty rare and not to get my hopes up to find it again in California! :)

enzian Mar 23rd, 2006 10:45 AM

All is forgiven----I apologize for bringing it up. I have tried to think of a way to shorten the name, but can only come up with the postal abbreviation CA. Certainly "Cal" won't work; that is always the University.

It sounds like being a travel nurse gives you wonderful opportunities to live in different places while practicing your profession. Is this a specialty within nursing? In other words, is it a career path that one can choose? It sounds like a real plus for people thinking of entering nursing.

bodi Mar 23rd, 2006 11:12 AM

CA is short, quick & clear *and* respectful, N CA or S CA are also perfect. Equally, SF, SFO or East,North or South Bay. Thanks!

edensmomma Mar 23rd, 2006 11:27 AM

I second the vote for the peds dept. at Cottage Hospital if you like the Santa Barbara area. They have used travelers in the past and I think most were housed in the Goleta area. As an RN, I'd probably not want to work in Santa Maria (just my preference).