Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Where to live...Laguna Beach vs. Newport, Hermosa or Santa Monica?

Where to live...Laguna Beach vs. Newport, Hermosa or Santa Monica?

Mar 1st, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Where to live...Laguna Beach vs. Newport, Hermosa or Santa Monica?

I am so lost in my search for a rental and need the insider help. I cannot decide between the places listed. Here is what experience I am starting with:
Huntington Beach - Lived there, liked it, but it was missing diversity and things to do.
Laguna Beach - LOVE IT, but cannot live there...don't ask. So this can be the comparison or benchmark to what I like. Beach trendy vs. Urban trendy. So how do the following towns compare to Laguna?
Newport Beach - Love the shopping, interested, but worried it is an "older" community and not sure what kind of beach life they have.
Hermosa - Sounds like it is fun, good nightlife, but it is surrounded by a lot of sketchy areas, so how does it compare to Laguna?
Santa Monica - Love it, housing is tough, but I can try, don't know anything about the nightlife, beach life or how it compares to Laguna. I know it is more urban living, but wondering if it really is a mix of urban and beach life? THANK YOU.
Mar 1st, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

If it helps also, I have no kids, I'm a professional working out of my home, and female (thus need somewhat of a safe place). Like the nightlife, dancing, beach life, art, culture, etc.
Mar 1st, 2006, 06:00 PM

I live in Manhattan Beach, so I'd say you'd love our sister city, Hermosa. Great place to walk around, clean beach, restaurants, nightlife, shopping. Mixture of housing available, old beach apts. or expensive condos. I have friends and relatives who live there, and none of them are near sketchy areas. You have Redondo to the South and East and MB to the north.
Mar 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM

Yeah, sketchy areas around HB?

I'm guessing here... work/commute doesn't enter into the equation?

What kind of "beach life" are you looking for?
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:26 AM

Manhattan Beach would do it for me.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:02 AM
lvk

I'm not sure what "sketchy" areas you think surround Hermosa Beach. I lived there as a single female and never felt unsafe there or in any of the surrounding towns.

My vote would be Hermosa or Manhattan. You would be close enough to L.A. to enjoy the "urban" life, but would still live in a non-urban, beachy location.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:54 AM

Great boutique shopping & restaurants in MB and not quite as many people just hanging out in the vicinity of the pier as in Hermosa.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Well, there is a definite majority in the responses as to an area...Hermosa or Manhattan Beach. I did not mean to offend anyone with the "sketchy" remark. I just noticed on the map that Compton and a few other "sketchy" areas were to the east. Thank you for your help. I'll head to Hermosa tomorrow. Any additional input or comments are always welcome!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:14 PM

Come on now-- Compton is 13 miles east of Hermosa Beach!!

There are some rough-ish parts of Redondo Beach, maybe, but nothing like what you seem to be fearing.

if you find yourself a scale map of the greater LA area, you will have a better idea of the real lay of the land (and its true vastness).
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM

I also am flabbergasted that you would have lived in Huntington Beach for any length of time and don't know anything about the beach cities in LA County-- especially Hermosa. It's the closest equivalent to Huntington, as far as I'm concerned, but it's much more interesting.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:22 PM

rjw, you don't really think that many from OC go north of the Orange Curtain, do you?
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

You would think I would know, but I don't. When I lived here last, I traveled for work and spent probably a total of 4 months out of that year in California.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM

mlgb:
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:44 PM

What a delicious dilemna. Keep us posted so I can live vicariously thru your relo adventure.

I live in Indiana but have been to Manhattan Beach 3 times in the past year with plans to go again in August for the International Surf Fest (first weekend in August- awesome and crazy beach volleyball tourney is the highlight- check it out). Love that town!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:30 AM
lvk

Hey amwosu, did you ever see any whales on your last visit? Sorry our weather wasn't better for you.

Search this Thread