Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to leave my car for a week in DC if I'll only need it sometimes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2009, 06:53 AM
kit
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am driving to DC the first week of May to "turnover" my rental condo in Dupont Circle for the next tenant. There is nothing but street parking near my unit. I will be staying in the unit...

I am looking for suggestions of where I could park it in the suburbs that I could get to easily by bus or metro for when I needed to make Home Depot runs, visit old friends in the area, etc.

I know some of the outlying metro stops have "long term parking" but am unsure how long-term that is and if spaces are available, etc. I feel I need a plan before driving there. (I'll be driving in from Indiana...)

Thank you for any suggestion you have!

Kit
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Not sure if this would work but I would contact the local police sub station and see if you can get a parking permit for the week you will be there by showing the mortgage contract or a bill that comes to that address in your name if you have one. I know as a resident I get one of these passes for my friends by going to the station at 16th and V and showing my driver license. Takes about 30 seconds.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Some of the info you seek is right on the Metro website:
Multi-day parking is available at three stations: Greenbelt, Huntington, and Franconia-Springfield. Each of these stations has between 15 and 17 spaces allocated for multi-day use of up to 10 days. Availability is on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no charge for multi-day parking beyond the regular fee, paid with a SmarTrip card on the day of exit if exiting during collection hours (10:30 a.m. - midnight on Monday - Thursday, and 10:30 a.m. - 3 a.m. Friday).
http://wmata.com/rail/parking/

Another option is DCA's long term lot if you don't mind paying $12/day.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 07:16 AM
kit
Original Poster

THanks, Denice...I would have never thought of that. And thanks also, VJP...I did read that. I am uncomfortable driving so far to risk not getting one of the very few spaces that are allotted on a first-come basis. I need a solution I can plan on...

$12 a day at DCA doesn't sound so bad, actually...
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
kit
Original Poster

Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM

I just want to second denice's recommendation for the parking permit; that's what I've used when visiting my daughter in Adams Morgan. If you can't find a space, then DCA could be your fallback plan.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM
kit
Original Poster

With the parking permit I just find a space somewhere on the street? Are there complex rules for street parking like in NYC? Since I won't be ddriving away every day to work, I would definitely be leaving it there for a few days at a time...

I will try to find the contact info for the police station for Dupont...just wondering how parking on the street actually works. Thansk!
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM

I think in the neighborhoods (as opposed to streets mainly w/office buildings such as 19th) the sign will say Parking from ___ to ____ Monday through Friday and underneath that Zone _ holders excepted (or permitted not sure which). I work in the Dupont Circle are and notice that on the signs when I am walking in the neighborhoods on my lunch hour.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM

We stayed at a really nice Best Western in Alexandria. They had free parking and a free shuttle that took you to the train station, although we also walked it a couple of times as well. The hotel had a sense of tranquility about it that we liked.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM

I suggest long term parking at Reagan National because it's easy to get to via Metro. You could also park at long term parking in Crystal City for less money and take their shuttle to and from the metro just get off metro at Crystal City.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Fortunately, the parking isn't as complicated as in NYC; IIRC, there's one morning or afternoon per week when the street has to be cleared for street cleaning. I know I parked near my daughter's house for 5 days (including a weekend) without moving at all.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Your best bet is probably the parking pass but if you get desperate you can drive around Georgetown and Woodley/Cleveland Park - there are some portions of streets that are "lost" parking due to the fact that there are no signs at all there. Generally the street signs will tell you all you need to know about when to move your car. And heed them -- it's easy to get a ticket just 2 minutes after the designated limit.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 08:33 AM

I live at 15th and T NW and am in Zone 2. You need to know the zone you live in when you go to the station to request the parking pass. Just look at one of the parking signs on your street and it will tell you the zone.

Street Cleaning - it is inforce now and the same sign will tell you what day it is and that you can't park there for that time limit...ususally 2 hours....that day. Example...is is Monday on the right side and Tuesday on the left side of my street from 9:30 until 11:30a.m. If you leave your car during that time it can be ticketed or towed. Ticket is $35.