Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   where to honeymoon in CA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-honeymoon-in-ca-212289/)

Amanda May 2nd, 2002 05:36 PM

where to honeymoon in CA

I am planning a honeymoon in Sept. THinking of California, but am very uneducated on the state. Where would be a nice, secluded, romantic place to stay for a week. We are interested in relaxing, having a place where we can walk right out onto the beach, and probably doing some activities like snorkling and bike riding.<BR>We would rent a house, however, I would rather be in some sort of resort environment.<BR>Thnaks for the help.

Emily May 2nd, 2002 06:18 PM

Go to Coronado Island (San Diego). Stay at the Hotel Del Coronado. It fits your description well.

janis May 2nd, 2002 06:28 PM

Amanda: Maybe you have seen photos of wonderful CA beaches and thought it is tropical. The weather in San Diego and LA is warm in September and the beaches are wonderful. But the eastern Pacific is pretty cold. Strolling hand in hand on the beach is one thing - but snorkling is soemthing entirely different. More a wet suit type of place.<BR><BR>How about going to Carmel or Pacific Grove instead - beautiful scenery, lovely beaches (but even colder water), great restaurants and lots of solitude in some of the seaside state parks.

peterb May 3rd, 2002 04:05 AM

Go to the Inn at Depot Hill in Capitola By The Sea. Very romantic rooms. Get one with a hot tub. Their hot tubs are the kind you fill each time with fresh hot water so all is nice and clean. An attentive but inobtrusive staff stands ready to assist with dinner or other reservations. Being in Capitola places you in easy striking distance to Big Sur, Point Lobos, Carmael, Carmel Valley wineries, funky Santa Cruz, Redwoods in the hills above Santa Cruz. A great accomodation centered on one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline anywhere in the world. Tons of great restaurants and things to do. You can be as secluded as you wish. DO NOT miss Point Lobos. Ansel Adams didn't

David May 3rd, 2002 06:19 AM

Carmel, Monterey, and Big Sur would be great places to look into.

X May 3rd, 2002 06:55 AM

What? No "San Jose is perfect for a honeymoon"?

Leslie May 3rd, 2002 08:13 AM

I'm from Los Angeles and agree that, if you want warm, swimable water, then San Diego would be my pick in September and Coronodo Island (Hotel Del Coronado) would be great. Laguna Beach is also nice but with a whole week, you need more to do than Laguna offers.<BR><BR>I honeymooned in Carmel and also agree that this area of Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur, Pacific Grove would offer you alot to do. And, if you run out of things to do, you could take a quick jaunt to San Francisco which is great, as cities, go. Just don't expect really warm swimming water in Northern California at any time of the year.

lze May 4th, 2002 10:17 PM

Hello Amanda, The Hotel Del would be my first choice I think. It is a little bit of paridise on earth! So nostalgic! Lots of history there. As another poster said, Monterey/Carmel area is good also. Hard to choose. The water there will be quite cold I would think. Both places are nice but the "Del" would be for me! They have some fabulous (but very expensive) rooms right on the ocean. How wonderful and relaxing to sleep with the doors open and listen to the surf pounding. CA. has lots of wonderful spots. Hard to recommend just one! Oh, speaking of romantic, how about a light house that is a B&B? The East Brother Light House Station is in the bay at Point Richmond in the SF area. It is fabulous. We were there for an anniversary once. The inn keeper picks you up and takes you over. Cocktails and hors'd ouvers (?) when you arrive and a short history and tour of the little island. Fabulous gormet dinner and breakfast also. Ask for an upstairs room as they have private baths. Oh yes, you cannot shower unless you stay more than one night. Water is in very short supply. You actually are not there a full 24 hours so it isn't as bad as it sounds. Very romantic! There are only 4 rooms available so there are not a lot of people there. You will then have to find something else to do in and around the bay area, but the choices are endless! Have fun........enjoy and all the best to you in your marriage.