Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   where to have lunch in Gloucester, MA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-have-lunch-in-gloucester-ma-538688/)

tinathetoad Jun 22nd, 2005 10:04 AM

where to have lunch in Gloucester, MA

We are making a stop there. My DH wants to see the crows nest....fine with me, I just do not want to eat there. I have been told it is YUCK...What are some lunch suggestions in Gloucester?

Thanks

tinathetoad Jun 22nd, 2005 10:14 AM

ttt

gyppielou Jun 22nd, 2005 10:20 AM

Head over to the Rocky Neck area - maddfish grille - I think. Or drive up to Rockport and have lunch at the end of the pier, the place on the left...great views/food.

ahhnold Jun 22nd, 2005 10:22 AM

Do NOT go to The Crows Nest. The location in the film is fictional and the real one is a dive.

Go to The Madfish Grille on Rocky Neck. Nice spot and deck.

tinathetoad Jun 22nd, 2005 10:30 AM

I digress... I am thinking of stopping in either Essex or Ipswich. I hear that Fried Clams in Essex is good and the Clambox in Ipwsich.

We are driving down from kennebunkport, ME

bm Jun 22nd, 2005 10:40 AM

Farnham's in Essex is my favorite for fried clams, shrimp etc. Avoid Woodmans - big tourist trap IMO.

tinathetoad Jun 22nd, 2005 10:42 AM

I will cross off Woodmans then. I will look at Farnams. My DH LOVES clams....

janiekins Jun 22nd, 2005 11:23 AM

What is the Madfish Grille like???

ahhnold Jun 22nd, 2005 11:40 AM

Madfish is nice. Separate bar and restaurant right on the cove. The Rudder next door is great as well.

Madfish is a great place to have a sandwich and beer and watch the boat traffic.

Dreamer2 Jun 22nd, 2005 11:52 AM

The clams in Essex and Ipswich are truly the best in the world (imho), BUT sadly, you won't be getting them. Red Tide has closed the local flats. Shellfish is being imported. Luckily lobsters are not affected.

Kehsutton Jun 22nd, 2005 12:24 PM

Dreamer2 speaks the truth. Lobsters, crabs and fish are safe but not local steamers, clams, quahogs, cherrystones, littlenecks, mussels and the like. You'll have to go to RI for non-Red Tide affected areas.

eriberri Jun 22nd, 2005 01:53 PM

Any of the smaller seafood places along that road (Rte 133) in Ipswich and Essex are great! There is an awesome ice cream stand "white farms" in Ipswich that is a must for us on our way home to Rockport from Maine.

If you don't feel like Seafood Fortune Palace has good Chinese (for the N Shore of Boston at least)!

Dreamer2 Jun 22nd, 2005 04:57 PM

If you should want a lunch in Ipswich instead, I highly recommend Ithaki (Greek). Right downtown, near the train depot. Very authentic, very very delicious!

cigalechanta Jun 22nd, 2005 05:19 PM

On the other hand you can have shell fish but it will be farmed and not local as we like to support our fishermen.