Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to have a late night drink after we arrive from a long flight from the East Coast?

Search

Where to have a late night drink after we arrive from a long flight from the East Coast?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Muggs

We arrive into Honolulu around 10:30pm and even though it will be 3:30am our time thought it would be fun to go for a nice drink before we head off to bed. last year we went all over town and could find nothing that was suitable. We seemed to be the oldest people out there (55). Eveyone seemed to be 16-20 and trying to get into noisey clubs. Any ideas.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:52 AM
p.

We usually celebrate our arrival with a mai tai in the airport bar but I don't know when they close. Have fun.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Marie

Absolutely the airport bar, I can't remember the name of the place, but it was perfect. Mai Tai, Blue Hawaii, or Lava Flow.

Then you can carry on elsewhere.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Rick

its called "Sting Rays" great drinks

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Muggs

Thanks for the suggestion but since we will have all our luggage etc. would rather head into Waikiki unload everything and freshen up before heading out. Will keep Sting Rays in mind on our return flight as we arrive in Honolulu from Kona at 8:30pm and don't leave until 1:00am. Any ideas for a decent place to eat at the airport on our return. Thanks

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Beachgirl

Which hotel are you staying at? A lot of hotels have lounges or poolside bars that might be still open. Especially at an upscale place like the surfrider or royal moana.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Susan

Depending on where you are staying, the House Without A Key at the Halekulani or the Veranda at the Kahala Mandarin.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 11:25 AM
scigirl

I'd suggest the lounge at the Halekulani. Not sure of the hours - so you may want to call. The poolside bar/restaurant closes at 9pm and the inside lounge opens at that time (which makes me think they have to be open past 10:30!). It is a grown-up sortof place (pistacio nuts on the table instead of peanuts - yum), lounge singer and piano player, great puu-puus, and relaxing atmosphere. No shorts, no jeans allowed.