Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to have a great lunch near The Art Institute in Chicago (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-have-a-great-lunch-near-the-art-institute-in-chicago-364148/)

Pat2003 Oct 7th, 2003 11:07 AM

Where to have a great lunch near The Art Institute in Chicago

I would appreciate your suggestions for a nice, doesn't need to be any cheap place, for lunch when we visiting the Art Institute. We would like to spend a couple hours in the museum, then have a nice lunch and return to the museum. Thanks

cd Oct 7th, 2003 11:18 AM

Directly across from the Institute on Michigan is West Adams Street. A few blocks up on W. Adams on your left is Berghoffs, a fine German restaurant with wonderful food. You can check it out at: www.berghoff.com/

kindra178 Oct 7th, 2003 11:21 AM

There are two Russian food places right near the museum on Adams. both are good. Unfortunately, there aren't that many great places for lunch very close by. Zoom Kitchen (sandwiches, salads) is located at Jackson and State, as is Chipolte. My Thai is located in the Music Mart at Jackson and State, and had pretty good Thai food. Taza is located at Wabash and Madison and has great salads. there is an au bon pan and Taco Fresca nearby as well.

bbkay Oct 7th, 2003 11:24 AM

The Art Institute has a very fine restaurant in the Museum. Years ago it was for members only, but now is open to the general public and is great! I have not been there for several years, but have heard of no changes. Check out the website to confirm. This is a fine dining room overlooking Grant Park. It is not the cafeteria on the lower level.

SAB Oct 7th, 2003 11:27 AM

There is a really lovely restaurant in the Art Instititute, I believe it is the Restaurant in the Park.

bbkay Oct 7th, 2003 11:28 AM

PS. If you complete your musuem tour before lunch you could taxi up Michigan Ave. about a mile or so to the Water Tower area. There are tons of fine restaurants there. Bistro 110 is a great place for a french bistro type lunch. www.metromix.com is the website run by the Chicago Tribune. It has LOTS of information on museums, restaurants, clubs, etc. Check it out!

Pat2003 Oct 7th, 2003 11:40 AM

Wow! That was fast. Thank you cd, kindra178, SAB and bbkay.
Kindra178, do you recall names of both Russian restaurants?

Is the restaurant in the museum a coffee shop type? We are looking for something more upscale

Bbkay, would you personally recommend Bistro 110 for dinner?
I know about metromix.com but when I read some of reviews I get discouraged, what I found there are usually nice reviews of any place, then one or two reviews that make me think if this place should be even considered. How do you decide?

SAB Oct 7th, 2003 12:15 PM

The Restaurant in the Park is definately not a coffee shop --it is very much a white table cloth restaurant. Lovely food, service, and setting.

Maggi Oct 7th, 2003 12:27 PM

Pat, we had lunch at the Russian Tea Room, right across the street from the Art Institute.

Here's a description:
Located just steps from the Art Institute, this family owned and operated spot is filled with old-world charm. Russian music, artifacts, food and staff take guests on a culinary adventure. The décor is dark and romantic with heavy wood, deep reds, chandeliers and large booths. The menu, offering Russian favorites from caviar and vodka to Roasted Pheasant with Armenian brandy, is a history lesson of Russian eating and drinking traditions. Numerous vegetarian options are available.

uhoh_busted Oct 7th, 2003 01:10 PM

I had dinner at the Russian Tea Room last year about this time...it was delightful. I also had a wonderful lunch in the restaurant at the Aquarium on the waterfront -- It's a bit of a hike, but we did walk from there to the Art Institute. If you make reservations at the restaurant, you don't need to pay admission to the aquarium. Actually, we'd started with the morning at the Field Museum, then walked to the aquarium and had lunch there (this was at the "nice" restaurant -- there may also be a more cafeteria-style place with more um, predictable museum-food.) The views facing back to the waterfront and Chicago skyline are extraordinary, and the food was quite good.)

marilynl Oct 7th, 2003 01:11 PM

Pat, I would agree on the restaurant within the Art Institute being what you are looking for. You won't find anything relaxing in that area, which is in the hustly bustly loop area. This may be a silly question, but do they let you back in on the same admission?
I like Bistro 110. The food is good, typical bistro fare but very good. It is somewhat crowded and noisy, though.

alex Oct 7th, 2003 02:05 PM

Located next to Russian Tea Time is Rhapsody, a lovely upscale restaurant located in the symphony building and open for lunch during the week. We frequently go there for recruiting lunches and I have never found it noisy or bustling. It has a beautiful wine room and a full wall of windows overlooking a garden/patio area. Wonderful for dinner as well.

kindra178 Oct 8th, 2003 05:49 AM

I forgot about Rhapsody. Great suggestion.

Pat2003 Oct 8th, 2003 06:33 AM

Great suggestions. Thank you all