Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to go Summer 04 with teens in the New England/New York State/Penn. areas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-go-summer-04-with-teens-in-the-new-england-new-york-state-penn-areas-377136/)

KathyK Nov 18th, 2003 05:39 AM

Where to go Summer 04 with teens in the New England/New York State/Penn. areas

We are looking for ideas on where 2 families with a total of 5 teens could meet this summer for a family vacation. One of us lives in Buffalo and the other in Western Connecticut and we would like to drive not more than 5-6 hours. Prefer an area that offers swimming (a lake would be nice) golf, shopping, and other recreational activities. Would be willing to rent one large house or seperate condos. Willing to spend $150-$200 per night per family.

almesq Nov 18th, 2003 05:42 AM

I'm not sure on prices, but you might want to check out Lake George. Obviously swimming, boating, etc. and lots of activities.

GBelle Nov 18th, 2003 06:17 AM

Cape Cod.

niskyboss Nov 18th, 2003 06:21 AM

Lake George or the Berkshires.

bennnie Nov 18th, 2003 06:29 AM

Maybe you should look into the Mt. Tremblant area of Quebec. To be up front, I have never been there and so you have to be aware that I am not talking from personal experience. But I have looked into it alot and have Quebec friends who summer there. There are condos galore, a beautiful lake, a biking trail, hiking, horseback riding, golfing etc. With the exchange rate its very reasonable. I'm suggesting this because I'm pretty sure its within your criteria for 5-6 hour drive from both locations. Its primarily a winter ski resort but like many ski resorts they seem to try hard to attract visitors in the summer. Plus its about 90 minutes north of Montreal for a day trip that might interest the teens and for shopping.

I usually would recommend the White Mountains of NH - Loon Mountain, North Conway, Jackson which have most of the activities listed above but its more like a 9 hour drive from Buffalo.

Another place to look into is Stowe Vt. - no lake but lots of other activities and a bit closer than NH from Buffalo.

Cape Cod would be a 10 hour drive from Buffalo.

Maybe the Finger Lakes region would be another option. Also have never been there.

mclaurie Nov 18th, 2003 08:04 AM

Can't help with specific accomodations, but areas to look at

Niagra on the Lake, Stratford CT (not sure about swimming), Ithaca area (Buttermilk Falls!), Watkins Glen, Skaneateles!, nw CT-Candlewood Lake, Sherman, New Preston.

KathyK Nov 18th, 2003 11:45 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Bennnie, I've gone to the website for Mont Tremblay and it looks like a definite possiblity. Anyone else?

uhoh_busted Nov 18th, 2003 01:55 PM

White water rafting on the Youghegheny in PA (don't know about that SPELLING!)
It is a blast. I'd suggest the Nemocolin resort, but don't know that it would fit your budget...Still, they may have specials and it could.

stillbrowns Nov 18th, 2003 02:10 PM

I'd go to Lake George in August and spend a day or two in Saratoga Springs at the track/downtown (it's only 20-30 minutes away). Lots of places in Lake George to stay, but you should make your reservations now, especially if you're interested in August.

Other ideas around Saratoga region: A camp on Sacandaga Lake or Schroon Lake in the Adirondacks. They're both beautiful.

BAK Nov 18th, 2003 03:36 PM

If you came to the Rideau Lakes area of Ontario, north of Kingston and south of Ottawa, the kids would learn a bit about a foeign country, the Ct. people could drive north and cross the St.Lawrence over the Ivy lea Bridge, on a rainy day there's lots for teens to do of interest in Ottawa, and US dollars will go a fairly long way.

Look for Smiths Falls, Perth, Merrickville, Kingston, Gananoque as general locations.

BAK

gail Nov 19th, 2003 01:49 AM

My first thought was since neither places are near the ocean, to try to do that - but no ocean within 5 hours of Buffalo.

I like some of the posters suggesting various places in Canada - with exchange rate you should be able to get a deal. You might try posting on Canada board.

KathyK Nov 19th, 2003 05:39 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. We did Lake George about 12 years ago and didn't have a good trip. I was in my "rookie" days of trip planning and we stayed at a tacky motel, had terrible weather and an otherwise bad time. I checked out the Nemacolin Resort and while it looks great, it is very expensive and over our budget. Still working on Mont Tremblay, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up there. I'll post on the Canadian board for more info. If anyone else has other suggestions I'm still listening.

bennnie Nov 19th, 2003 06:36 AM

KathyK - if you do go to Mt Tremblant would you post a trip report when you get back. I would really be interested in reading an American's perspective on the resort. I am dieing to go but really want to go with a group of families. Haven't convinced my husband or my friends yet that its worth taking a chance on. Good luck with whereever you choose.