Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to go on FL West Coast in May/June 2005?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
I am trying to plan a vacation for myself, my husband and our year old daughter for next spring.
I can't decide where in FL to go.
I definitely want the west coast, and was thinking Marco Island/Captiva/Seista Key, but I need a little help.
We're going to rent a condo, but want a great beach (not too many shells so that my daughter can walk around easily), some kid-friendly restaurants within walking distance, a little 'downtown' area, too. It doesn't have to be super lively, but I don't want it really sleepy, either. Somewhere in between.
Sorry if this is vague, just hoping for some ideas. I realize that Captiva was hit pretty hard by the hurricanes, so that might be out. Anywhere else we should consider?

THANKS!!!
Trish
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Of the three, I prefer the beach at Siesta Key. The Gulf is beautiful and the sand is like baby powder. Also, plenty of nice condos to choose from on Siesta. Marco is also nice, but not as nice beaches. (IMO)
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM

You know, it's taken a beating but I'd go to Captiva if I were you. I've heard most of the hurricane damage is off the island and the buildings are repaired. I think it's such a great place for toddlers and young kids. The sand is nice, and there's no asphalt. And there's a few artsy places to walk to, a little grocery, lots of restaurants. The beach is great.

Marco is nice too for kids but it's a little sleepy.

Also nice is Siesta with its pretty sand, restaurants and shopping. Sand Key on Clearwater has nice sand. And Treasure Island too (although Sunset Beach has shells to boot).
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 02:08 PM

I would second the idea of Siesta - soft white sand beach - Siesta Village is fun and casual. Great places in Sarasota for the little one, especially the water splash fountain and playground on the beautiful bayfront in downtown Sarasota (and it is free).
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 03:11 PM
LN

IMHO the Gulf bvarrier island of Siesta, Longboat, and Anna Maria are truly the nicest beaches anywhere!

Sanaibel, Captiva, and most of Charlotte County took a heavy hit during the hurricanes this year and it's difficult for them to come back to par so quickly. We were there about 4 weeks ago and they still have a work to do. It's hard getting contractors in to do work when so many need the services of roofers, carpenters, etc.

Marco Island is beautiful but getting on and off the island can take quite a while!

Sarasota and Bradenton are great cities to explore and Tampa is less than an hour to some great airports. It takes us 2 hours nonstop to Tampa and then 45 minutes to our little beach cottage.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Longboat Key remains my favorite, but Siesta is also very nice. The nicest thing about LBK for me, an avid bike rider, is all the room to ride bicycles.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:31 PM

Just saw this thread. I don't have a year old child but I love Long Boat Key!! That is where I would go.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Anna Maria Island is also very nice, and it's very family oriented. Incredible soft white beaches, little shopping centers, lots of less-expensive condos etc. I'm not quite as sure about restaurants within walking distance, you can certainly get this in some places on Anna Maria but not all of them.

Captiva was the first place that came to mind, since you can easily walk to a number of restaurants if you stay in the right place. It is more expensive though.