Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

where to go on a budget within driving distance of Detroit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Montieth

We don't like to fly and have already been to Cleveland, Chicago, Toledo, Toronto, Lemington and Ann Arbor. We really enjoyed Cleveland but have been there several times.

We really liked La Crosse Wisconsin and went there several times when we lived in Minnesota. Now it is too far to drive. Just looking for a little getaway that fits our budget. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Upper Midwesterner

Check out Michigan upstate. I have a friend who really enjoys visiting Traverse City over on the other side of the state. The UP is also very scenic. Door County, WI is very Cape Cod-like with neat shops, picturesque, and somewhat closer than La Crosse. Northern IN has some neat Amish cities with beautiful B&Bs and fun flea markets if you like that too.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:03 AM
me

Try Mackinac Island, beautiful or Sioux Ste Marie also Niagara Falls, or Rochester, all in driving distance...and East Lansing for a Michigan State game.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:51 AM
jvs

The Lelanau Peninsula(Michigan's "pinky finger") is so incredibly beautiful. Its probebly peak leaf season there right now. Northport or Leland are nice towns for B&B's. Very relaxing. Wineries, Sand dunes, shopping, Hiking, fishing.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 10:07 AM
sandy

OHMYGOSH! You should come to Toronto! Your US dollar is worth twice as much! Talk about budget travel! Every price you see, you can virtually deduct half - hotels, restaurants, shopping...I'm so jealous!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:53 PM
xx

I also live in Detroit. What about the Pocono's? We've been in the fall. BEAUTIFUL time to drive to Pennsylvania.
Trees are beautiful, the Mountains, etc.
It's a nice resort for relaxing. Lots of honeymooners. The only negative is that it's a 10 hr drive from Michigan.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 04:18 AM
xyz

What about Buffalo and Niagara Falls?

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 01:51 PM
OK GO

Must agree with Sandy, go to Toronto, the CN Tower is great. They exchange rate is about 1 and 1/2 times ($1000 USA becomes $1500 CAN!) However, usable goods such as restaurants and hotels are not included on the tax refund, you must spend over $50 and have it checked at the US Border when you return. We exchange $$ in Windsor and traveled thru Ontario, don't be depressed when you change your money back! Fall in Canada is beautiful!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 04:49 AM
montieth

Thank you all of you for your replies. You've given me so many ideas for this trip and future trips as well. There were some I hadn't even considered before like Door County area in Wisconsin, Rochester, NY and the Amish country in northern Indiana. Again, thanks, so much for your wonderful responses.