Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to go in early July that has Mountains (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-go-in-early-july-that-has-mountains-289054/)

AmyRF25 Feb 15th, 2003 08:15 AM

Where to go in early July that has Mountains

Hi, I'm looking to go someplace where there are beautiful mountians, and a zoo near by. We don't want to spend too much (of course). We'd like to stay someplace where you can look out of your room and have a breathtaking view....what are some suggestions?!<BR>Thanks!

GoTravel Feb 15th, 2003 10:43 AM

The Grove Park Inn in Asheville, North Carolina.

drsawyers Feb 15th, 2003 02:45 PM

Moraine Park Campground in Rocky Mountain NP. One of the best views in the world. No zoo but plenty of elk, deer, coyote, etc. And only $18/night.

travel_the_4_corners Feb 15th, 2003 03:01 PM

Mt Ranier National Park.

John Feb 15th, 2003 08:55 PM

Glacier national park, Montana

Carla Feb 16th, 2003 02:21 PM

Roanoke, VA. The Hotel Roanoke is a lovely old renovated railroad hotel with a view of the mountains and a 10 minute drive to a zoo. If you don't have to be too near the zoo, go to Mountain Lake, VA. About an hour from Roanoke on top of the mountain by a small lake. Personally, my favorite place in the world

hauntedheadnc Feb 17th, 2003 02:08 PM

Here's another vote for Asheville, NC. July would be a wonderful time to visit, as it will be warm, possibly hot, but likely pleasant.<BR><BR>There is an unusual zoo in Asheville at the nature center, home to a collection of animals native to the mountains of Western North Carolina, including a predator habitat -- but the nature center is more oriented toward children. You may enjoy it anyway, but if you're looking for something more exotic nevertheless, the Greenville Zoo in Greenville, SC is about 60 miles south, in Cleveland Park, in the heart of downtown Greenville -- a good thing, as downtown is worth a look but the rest of Greenville is not.<BR><BR>Asheville is, of course, full of delights other than animals (though you'll see plenty of those in the nationaal and state forests around town, should you go hiking), and those delights include outstanding art, including the Asheville Urban Trail, a 1.7 mile walking trail winding past 30 installations of publid art downtown, and also including galleries where the quality of the artwork in unsurpassed.<BR><BR>There's also natural beauty, in those parks and forests I mentioned earlier, but also in places like Chimney Rock Park, a private nature park southeast of Asheville, and in Dupont State Forest, home of some spectacular waterfalls.<BR><BR>There's also the Biltmore Estate (a search here or looking up www.biltmore.com should tell you more), good museums, great restaurants, amazing architecture, and lots more! I can never say enough good things about Asheville.<BR><BR>If you decide to give us a look, you might want to consider the Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa as one other person has suggested, or possibly the Renaissance Asheville Hotel, right downtown, with mountain views from one side of this high-rise, and city views from the other. Of course, there are more properties offering beautiful views, but these are the two that spring most readily to mind.

dwooddon Feb 17th, 2003 02:48 PM

Park City, Utah should fit the bill for mountains and views. Just a few miles down the hill, the SLC zoo is nice, if not world class.<BR>John - Where is there a zoo near Glacier Park? I must have missed it.

gc Feb 17th, 2003 03:02 PM

Grand Teton National Park.<BR>Stay at Jackson Lake Lodge. There is no more breathtaking view in North America.<BR><BR>Zoo? Who needs a zoo? Take a horseback ride and observe the local fauna.