Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to go in a limo in Boston/north of Boston - age 16 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-go-in-a-limo-in-boston-north-of-boston-age-16-a-613378/)

gail May 6th, 2006 03:02 AM

Where to go in a limo in Boston/north of Boston - age 16

My daughter and her friend (with identical summer birthdays) want to rent a limo for their 16th birthday and take some friends anywhere - the limo is the idea, not the destination. (They have been watching way too much MTV I fear). She is willing to chip in, and is never over-the-top in her requests, so we are willing to go for this.

So, if you were a 16 year old girl taking a limo-load of other 16 year old girls on a 4-hour joy ride with some stops, what might they be. We will include a meal somewhere - but that should be fun, not necessarily high-end expensive. I am thinking some very non-limo destinations like mini-golf, the beach. My daughter is just so enthralled with the limo that she needs some suggestions. Will start and end north of Boston. (I have vetoed the idea of riding by houses of cute boys and honking the horn). Thanks.

seetheworld May 6th, 2006 04:19 AM

Hi gail.

Just to get this straight, they will stop and eat during the four hour tour -- that might consume a good part of their limo time (a bunch of 16 yo girls eating and talking...talking...). But, I could be wrong, I have sons...they just eat. :)

Bear with me because I have a terrible sense of direction, but how about a drive over the bridge (name escapes me) and along the Charles River into Cambridge -- they could stop and roam the bookstores together or grab a coffee. Then they could drive past Fenway or something...

C'mon, don't be a "no fun" mom (okay, so that's my nickname in my house)...I'd let the girls ride by the houses of cute boys and honk! I'll have a cute boy home in about a week and a half, lol. ;) :D

djkbooks May 6th, 2006 04:53 AM

How about heading to Rockport?

There's fabulous shopping and waterside dining on Bearskin Neck.

Or, Perkins Cove in Ogunquit?

escargot May 6th, 2006 05:06 AM

I think since what the kids like is as you said, the idea of being in a limo, having it wait outside all their destinations for them, you'd be better to have them plan a route with quick stops, - unless they want to spend an hour eating or getting manicures or something.

Have the limo pick up all the friends one by one, then do short stops at all their favorite haunts (I'm assuming some of the allure is so people they know can actually see them enjoying their limo?) -

I don't know your area enough to suggest exact spots , but I like your ideas of mini golf, beach, 'd do the ice cream stop, the "oh quick we have to run into these three stores" stop, a lunch where they can eat outside or on the beach, that type of thing.

and a ride by all the cute boys houses to honk ! :)
What cute boy wouldn't like a group of girls hanging out the windows/sunroof of a limo to beep and wave at him? In todays day, if a 16 yr old girl wants to rent a limo with girlfriends, and isn't asking for a lot of other things that involve boys other than riding by their houses and beeping, I'd let them beep all day !

Also, tell her to remember her favorite cd's so the limo driver can play all her favorite music !

virginia May 6th, 2006 06:22 AM

to eliminate a long lunch burning limo paid time how about a drive thru or hot dog stand type place - where they can hopefully be seen/recognized!! i too vote yes for driving by the boys houses -likely they will get bored with this pretty quickly anyway. and think mini-golf or go-carts would be fun. then maybe a ride out to marblehead?

gail May 6th, 2006 03:05 PM

Thanks - I now see the wisdom of going to several shorter-stop places rather than one dinner someplace. My daughter laughed when I told her my "imaginary friends" here thought it was OK to honk at houses of boys - so that may be back on the agenda.

We are now thinking in terms of something like Kelly's in either Revere or Saugus, perhaps mini-golf, ice cream, and honking at boys. She also reminded me that merely stopping at various houses to pick up her friends, take photos of each other, etc. will consume a significant amount of time.

escargot May 6th, 2006 08:17 PM

Gail: the day sounds like it's working out to be a wonderful sweet 16 celebration for the lucky girls!
Maybe even put together a cute 'goody bag' surprise for the girls - something simple like maybe you can hunt up some cute matching sunglasses for them all to up the cool factor :)

wantsomesun May 6th, 2006 11:52 PM

I think Kelly's is a good idea they can eat right on the wall and "be seen" with the Limo.

How about the Mall in Danvers? Do a little shopping then get back in the limo and head to Kelly's.

Hope they have a GREAT time.

dfrostnh May 7th, 2006 02:19 AM

I've been hearing great things about a craft store in Somerville called Spark. They offer private parties. See their website for project options. A lot of 16 yo would love to make their own jewelry. Of course, it's a two hour stop but maybe a fun way to end the day. BTW I agree, honk when they drive by cute guys.

gail May 8th, 2006 02:11 AM

Thanks again. And my daughter actually thinks my "imaginary friends" have some good ideas. Especially like idea of eating at Kelly's on the seawall.

cantstayhome May 8th, 2006 06:14 AM

Another dinner/logistics idea - if they want to do a longer dinner, they could all meet at the restaurant, then have the limo pick them up there and cart them around. Maybe ice cream at Revere Beach instead of Kelly's (although I can't remember anything around there other than Kelly's - it's been too long since I've been there!). I vote for the honking, too - much better and safer than chatting online :)

nina May 8th, 2006 12:17 PM

I would think the whole point of renting a stretch limo at 16 is to be seen at a scene, so think of the neighborhood that would be the most hopping on a summer night and head that way. They definitely don't want to park.

Harvard Square? Hanover Street? Kenmore Square? Somewhere on the Cape?

bakergirl May 8th, 2006 01:00 PM

Yeah, my first thought was Kelly's on Revere Beach, but I like the idea of the girls meeting for lunch/dinner and then having the limo go from there. Don't know "how North" of Boston you're talking about, but how about having lunch outdoors at Not Your Average Joe's in downtown Newburyport and then getting picked up from there. Could travel down Rte 1 and go to Middleton and play mini golf or hit some balls at the driving range at Richardsons Dairy. Could then get sundaes and sit outside at Richardsons or drive down Nahant and Revere Beach and get ice cream at Kelly's Creme and, of course, see and be seen on the wall. That'd probably do it for the 4 hours.

If, on the other hand, your "north" is closer to Boston, they could start with Revere Beach and Kelly's for food and cruise into Harvard Square and walk around and take in the sites and street performers and get ice cream at Toscanini's. They could swing by the Galleria Mall and take a short cruise down the Charles (http://charlesriverboat.com/Charles%20River%20SS.htm) for an hour and then head back.

I'm sure they'll have a blast!

cybor May 8th, 2006 01:21 PM

My neice and nephews loved Salem as teens - perhaps they could take in a quick witch tour - the views up that way by Beverly and Marblehead are stunning as well and not too far from Boston.
Good luck - lucky kids!