Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to go from Boston, to spend a few days oceanside in late May?

Old Feb 12th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying into Boston the end of May, for DD's Med School Graduation (!!!!!!!!),

We want to add on a short vacation to the oceanside, the following week. Length of stay is a week or less. We will get a car, and probably fly home from Boston, although we don't have to. We could fly somewhere and home from there.

There are so many places to consider, so I'm looking for fodorites' experience and advice for a nice, smallish place where we can relax and spend time outside. I love to see and hear the ocean!

We have been to Martha's Vineyard and P-town only.

Given that it's the end of May, should we plan on going south for warmer weather?

Thanks in advance, fodorite friends!
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 08:39 AM

Congratulations on DD's graduation!!

Unless you go very far south, like to North Carolina you do understand that it will not be swimming at the beach weather unless you are under 20 or wearing a wet suit, but if it is sunny will be great for walking on the beach. That said we have had lovely warm weather, but the ocean itself is still quite cold.

Many of the places in the New England area will have shoulder season rates, and that is nice. Memorial Day is May 26 this year, so that might be busy.

I would consider both north and south of Boston for possible beach sites. The Bass Rocks area of Gloucester is pretty and there are nice beaches in the area like Wingearsheek and Crane Beaches as well as nearby Rockport and Salem for artsy or history places to visit.

The Cape has lots to offer other than P-Town and you could do a trip to Nantucket also.

If you wanted to venture a bit farther you could head to Rhode Island for Newport and any of the south beaches or Block Island. These would be close enough to the southeastern CT sites that you could do day trips there too. The Ocean House hotel in Watch Hill RI is pricey, but very nice and right on a cliff with wonderful ocean views.

Have a great celebration, I'm sure you have earned it!
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, emalloy. We understand the water might be cold, but we don't really need to swim in the ocean. We just enjoy seeing it and hearing it.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 09:21 AM

Go to Providence RI and fly home from there.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 09:38 AM

Ogunquit Beach in Maine is 2 hours from Boston. It's an easy drive, mostly on highway. There is a 3 mile sandy beach to walk on, and a paved walk along the rocky shoreline. If you are looking for good scenery I'd recommend Ogunquit.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

My aunt used to work summers in Ogunquit and I always wanted to go there.

Is it a mistake to go north in late-May, though?
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Take a look at weatherbase.com to see temps and precipatation for May. We've gone to Maine in May and it has been sunny and mild. We've been there in July and it was cool and drizzly. It just depends on the luck of the draw. May is off season for Maine, so unless you are going on Memorial Day weekend, you will find something available at the last minute. Why not wait to make the decision the day before you want to go and have your decision be weather dependent. Obviously, don't go if it is going to rain or be cold. I live 2 hours from Ogunquit and have gone there quite often in the spring and fall. I actually prefer it to summer weekends when it can be very crowded.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 01:54 PM

Ogunquit is in southern Maine. If the weather is good, that time of year is wonderful. Usually not hot enough to be a problem, just warm enough to be wonderful. If the weather is bad you can either go north to Portland or south to Portsmouth NH for restaurants, shopping, etc.

If you have a week, there are lots of choices of cottages to rent. We stayed in a small little cottage colony on the Cape one September weekend. Off season, they would rent for shorter periods. The only bad thing was you couldn't park next to the cottages and had to use carts to haul in luggage etc. It wasn't far and the good thing was there were places to sit on the lawn just before the beach started. Very pleasant and nice to have room and cooking facilities. But I can't remember what town we were in. I'm pretty sure it was this place http://www.seasidecapecod.com/cottagesmain.htm

Congratulations to your daughter!
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Ogunquit is a good choice - the Marginal Way is a beautiful seaside walk. If you want scenic beach walk, also consider staying on the Cape close to the national seashore beaches. These are some of the most picturesque beaches anywhere, with miles of undeveloped beach, dunes and lighthouses. A town like Wellfleet or Chatham would be a good choice. Chances are, the Cape will be a tiny bit warmer than Maine.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, friends. I appreciate your congratulations, too! It is a very big deal, after all these years. . ..

Ogunquit sounds like us. We're more interested in beaches and scenery than night life.