Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to go for family vacation in Feb., presidents week.

Mar 26th, 2002, 10:24 AM
nina

It's never too early to start planning a trip, especially when that trip is one of the busiest vacation weeks of the year! Unfortunately, our board of Ed. saw fit to change our spring break vacation from a week in March to Presidents week in February, one of the most god-awful times to travel.

Can anyone help with suggestions for a great vacation spot (not necessarily the US), for a family with 2 boys, who will be 10 and 13 then? Don't want to ski as I think the lines will be a nightmare. I also want to avoid places that charge a premium for that week, but I've a feeling that might be impossible. I was thinking possibly Arizona. Is it warm enough to swim then?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Mar 26th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Ellen

Nina, what do the boys enjoy? Outdoors stuff, swimming, museums, zoos? My 13 yo son and I had a great time in DC in February 2001, and I was about to suggest that, until I read you comment about hoping for swimming. Give us some clue about what you enjoy, not just that you want to avoid crowds and lines; knowing where you live would help, too.

Mar 26th, 2002, 10:52 AM
nina

They, and we love the outdoors, my husband and I like natural beauty but most importantly someplace that the whole family can have fun. We love Europe and are considering that as well, especially since Presidents week is not observed there, but flights from the US are! That being said we just returned form WDW and Universal and actually had a ball, much to my husband's surprise. What I'm looking for are places that other families have been at that time of year and really enjoyed.

We live in the Northeast (CT), and don't mind flying anywhere, well, maybe not halfway around the world, but short of that, I'm open to any suggestions for fun family trips in February. We will be in DC this summer on our way south.

Thanks for the response.

Mar 26th, 2002, 01:09 PM
xx

how about a cruise?

Mar 26th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Val

We cruised over President's Week; it was a mob scene. Try another week, if you want to cruise.

Mar 26th, 2002, 01:54 PM
nina

Thanks. Has anyone gone anywhere over Presidents week that wasn't a mob scene? What was that school board thinking!

Mar 26th, 2002, 02:18 PM
val

Nina: Actually, we've been to Hawaii the past four years over that exact week and except for areas around Lahaina, and right in Kona town, we never felt crowded, even on the best beaches. Lots of hidden places. You may pay more, but worth it. We're going again Feb. 03 and I'm planning it now.

Did try Arizona for our President's Week one year many years ago, heading south to Tucson, Tombstone, Bisbee, etc. Weather was bad on that trip (we had planned to head up to Kitt Peak near Tucson to visit the observatory), but that adventure was SNOWED OUT! So you never know with Arizona. Then another time we stood on the south rim of the Grand Canyon, same time of year, and it was over 70 degrees!

Personally, I love the mid-winter break we have. We used to have a long spell between winter holidays and spring break and it is a great time to escape the cold, if you know where to go. Our only goof-up was trying the cruise over President's Week. I guess a dud every once in awhile isn't too bad though!

Good luck. Planning a trip is half the fun.

Mar 26th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Nancy

Nina-
We did the Arizona trip this past President's week. We flew into Phoenix and drove up to Sedona for three nights at the Enchantment. From the Enchantment we day tripped to the Grand Canyon for a helicopter tour. A MUST DO! We then drove to Scottsdale for five nights. It was warm enough to swim the last few days. Sedona was not warm enough to swim. We mountain biked and hiked and took jeep tours. I loved Sedona but did not care for Scottsdale too much. It was a city with 1/2 mile blocks and lots of shopping. I enjoyed northern Arizona more and wished we had explored south of Phoenix.