Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to go for August honeymoon in Flordia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-go-for-august-honeymoon-in-flordia-299651/)

PamelaY Mar 21st, 2003 07:34 AM

Where to go for August honeymoon in Flordia?

Hello,<BR><BR>My fiance and I are trying to plan our honeymoon and at forst we were looking into Hawaii but it is a bit pricy for us. Ou budget is $3500.00 so any resort suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We want to stay on a nice tropical beach close to nightlife, shopping, fine dining, etc.. Nice pool is a must too. Thanks!<BR><BR>Pam :)

rjw_lgb_ca Mar 21st, 2003 07:47 AM

If your heart is set on Florida in August, I would strongly recommend the Keys. There are numerous threads on this board regarding things to do there. I can only remind you that August is pretty darned hot in Florida, and it's also hurricane season.<BR><BR>How about the West Coast? Good ol' San Francisco, combined with a spin into Wine Country, could be beautiful. Santa Barbara, San Diego, Newport or Laguna Beach (or the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel, in Dana Point).... All of these places are lovely, close to things, the weather should be great, etc.

PamelaY Mar 21st, 2003 09:00 AM

Thanks for the info! I know it is really hot in August in FL and we really had our heart set on Hawaii but $3500 does not cut in Hawaii. We are looking into Calf. too so between the two we will decide. Thanks again!

andy Mar 21st, 2003 09:27 AM

For $3500, you can stay at the Ritz Carlton in Naples at their summer rates--RIGHT on the GULF with spectacular views....and get a car to explore the area--plus the restaurants in town will also have summer special prices--- so $3500 will go a long way in Naples FLA--

LilMsFoodie Mar 21st, 2003 11:19 AM

Long Boat Key Club on Long Boat Key. Sarasota. Incredible beach, and all your other wishes will be met there. LMF

JackOneill Mar 21st, 2003 11:23 AM

<BR><BR>As mentioned, I think the Ritz in Naples is probably the best honeymoon spot in Fla.<BR><BR>You could do the &quot;old&quot; Florida thing and go to the Breakers over in Miami. But that seems so . . . tired.<BR><BR>Then, there's South Beach (and please don't call it SoBe.) But, then, it's way too hip for me. And way too many people, as well.<BR><BR>Yeah, California. Big Sur. Post Ranch Inn. Overlooking the cool Pacific.

JackOneill Mar 21st, 2003 11:26 AM

<BR><BR>I meant the Breakers in Palm Beach, not Miami. I had South Beach on my mind as I was typing.<BR>Sorry.

buckeyemom Mar 21st, 2003 11:31 AM

Have you checked into Bermuda? Don't know if that's in your budget or not.

PamelaY Mar 21st, 2003 12:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! No, we have not considered Bermuda...we were a little scared to go to the Carribean due to hurricane season but FL is at risk of hurricanes too in August so maybe we should consider the Carribean. So many decsions and we just don't know what to do yet. It is fun looking into all of this though but we are finding now is the time to get everything reserved because everywhere is really getting booked up quick. <BR><BR>Thanks again for the suggestions!

mclaurie Mar 21st, 2003 04:26 PM

Pamela you should have a look on the caribbean message board here for some more info on Bermuda &amp; elsewhere. The ABC islands (Aruba, Bonnaire &amp; Curacao) are outside the Hurricane belt as are Trinidad &amp; Tobago. It will still be hot &amp; not high season so rates may eb in your favor.<BR>The other thought is to have a look at the website Luxurylink.com for ideas &amp; possibly good packages. This website gets luxury properties for great prices. Some yo bid on (like Priceline) &amp; others you can just buy.<BR><BR>You've gotten good advice for Fla. if you decide to go that route.<BR><BR>I thought about Mexico but I think the weather is just too iffy at that time of year.<BR><BR>Lots of good luck.

Paul Mar 21st, 2003 05:34 PM

My comparison of Naples vs. Palm Beach in August:<BR>I prefer the Atlantic Ocean breezes in August, but the island is pretty dead. Several Worth Street shops are even closed. There is some nice activity downtown West Palm, however.<BR><BR>The Ritz in Naples is quite nice, but perhaps the temperatures might be a little warmer and the air a bit balmy if the breeze is low. The Gulf water will be quite warm, and I would prefer the water of the Atlantic. The city of Naples is always facinating.<BR><BR>For me, it would be a coin toss between these two areas.<BR><BR>Happy Trails,<BR>Paul<BR>

aprilkrueg Mar 22nd, 2003 02:53 AM

Hi Pamela, <BR><BR>My husband and I did the same thing last year... and I must tell you - living in Miami as we do - it is HOT during August, sometimes miserably so. And of course, since it's the rainy season, you can expect daily afternoon showers... <BR><BR>We got married last August, and honeymooned in the Virgin Islands for a week since you're looking for nightlife and such, I'd suggest St. Thomas as it's more populated. We actually stayed in St. John at Estate Lindholm (which I highly suggest) but St. John is a little lacking in nightlife - but the beaches are absolutely amazing. <BR><BR>

buckeyemom Mar 22nd, 2003 04:57 AM

Another idea is Aruba. The trade winds make it bearable and hurricanes do not strike there.

joan Mar 22nd, 2003 05:25 AM

Well, Pam, I live here and I agree with everybody else: it's TOO HOT in August! Your budget would work nicely in the breezy Caribbean - August is the off-season, and the kids in the US are going back to school earlier and earlier, so if you go late in the month you'll have a kids-free honeymoon - and even better prices. The Luxury Link suggestion is a great one - just be sure it's a bargain compared to summer prices. Congratulations!

SuzieQ Mar 22nd, 2003 06:05 AM

The Ritz in Naples. It is just beautiful!

LN Mar 22nd, 2003 08:11 AM

Hi Pamela<BR><BR>There are some really luxury high-end resorts that would be better priced in august in Florida but they'd also have a lot fewer guests and be a lot quieter.<BR><BR>On your honeymoon I'm sure you'll want, at least, a little nightlife to be mixed with the fine dining, shopping, etc. I honestly don't think you're going to find this in most Florida cities including Naples. Most Floridians leave Florida in August and people with money are NOT going to visit the Ritz whether it's in Naples or Arlington VA when it's horribly hot.<BR><BR>Find yourself a lovely island (Bermuda, Aruba, Bahamas, St Kitts, Nevis, any one of them) with resorts that cater to newlyweds and I think you'll be delighted with your complete honeymoon.<BR>A honeymoon should be memorable and not two newlyweds sitting across a table in a dining room ALONE!!<BR><BR>PS Hawaii is wonderful - but there are many islands on the east side that are really great too and don't take as long to get to.<BR><BR>God bless and I wish you much health, happiness and joy in your marriage.

PamelaY Mar 24th, 2003 09:44 AM

Hello,<BR><BR>Thank you so much everyone for all your suggestions and really nice comments! I really appreciate all the great ideas and my fiance and I are going to start looking into the Carribean a little bit more. Thanks again!<BR><BR>Pam :)