Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to go and stay in Savannah!!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-go-and-stay-in-savannah-149625/)

Betsy Jan 7th, 2003 05:39 PM

Where to go and stay in Savannah!!!!

My boyfriend and I are going to Savannah in a couple weekends and we were wondering what were some resonably priced hotels or bed and breakfasts in the area. Also we were wanting to try some great restaurants but are sure were to begin. We wanting to enjoy all of Savannah... So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Rita Jan 7th, 2003 05:50 PM

There's a beautiful quaint hotel in Savanah called Presidents Hotel. Each room has a working fireplace and canopy antique beds. Each room is named after a former president. This is a very small hotel no elevators,but very beautiful and as I said before quaint.The hotel is actually and old house that has been restored to the revolutionary period. I'ts right in the center of Savanah near everything. Savanah is a beautiful and historic city you will enjoy it. Hope this helps.

cracker Jan 7th, 2003 07:01 PM

Savannah Bistro in the market area is wonderful. For a fun evening or lunch and inexpensive buffet go to the very famous Lady and Sons right next door.<BR>Wilke's Boarding House is a great family style breakfast and lunch place with real good oldfashioned cheap cooking and you won't go away hungry.<BR><BR>Do a search here. There have been some recent posts about Savannah.

Brent Jan 12th, 2003 10:11 AM

Almost everything you'll want to see is in the historic district, however, most of the hotels in that area are expensive. I recommend using Hotwire.com to see the best deals you can get in that part of town. The Hyatt, River Street Inn are nice and in good locations but pricey. The Westin is very nice but you have to take the ferry to get to everything. If you have a car you can stay in Midtown for probably $40/night at Marriott Courtyard and the like (book through Hotwire.com).<BR><BR>City Market has some good restaurants including the Lady &amp; Sons, Bistro Savannah, and Garibaldi's.

Chuck Jan 12th, 2003 12:29 PM

We stayed at The Foley House. We got a 3 for 2 and paid $389 I believe. We thought it was excellent.<BR><BR>If you have enough money in your budget, go to Elizabeths on 37th for dinner. Also, try Mrs. Wilkes and Lady and Son for true Southern food.

Lois Jan 12th, 2003 12:37 PM

Hi Betsy, yep, I must agree with Lady and Son for the southern experience! <BR>And, though everyone has their own opinions, I would say walk along riverstreet. Its got lots of funky litte shops and restaurants ( its right on the river-as the name states) you will find lots of seafood places but also some continental cuisine too.. depending on what you feel like eating. For the size of the city, Savannah has the 2nd largest Irish population-(other than NY) and there is a wonderful Irish Pub there too. I think the name is Danny Cavanaghs-not positive though. They have good food and live music too.<BR>Enjoy your stay:)

OliveOyl Jan 12th, 2003 03:16 PM

Nope, the Irish pub is Kevin Barry's.

Lois Jan 12th, 2003 03:48 PM

thanks Olive.. couldnt recall..I had some really good corned beef andd cabbage there though!