Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to for views - VooDoo Lounge or Stratophere Tower? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-for-views-voodoo-lounge-or-stratophere-tower-366085/)

Cher May 22nd, 2008 06:11 AM

Where to for views - VooDoo Lounge or Stratophere Tower?

My hubby and I (late 40s) will be visiting LV next month and on one evening want to head over somewhere for some great views of the strip at night. VooDoo Lounge and Stratoshere Tower have been recommended. We're not big drinkers so I don't care about hanging out too long at a bar/lounge and we're not into the club scene at all. We will have a car that evening since it's rented for one full day for some day trips (Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire State Park), so we have flexibility on where to go. (We're staying at Bellagio). On this particular evening, we've left our plans open and were thinking of driving downtown to see the Fremont St thing and then going to the Stratosphere Tower Observation Deck or the VooDoo Lounge for probably just one drink and to catch some views.

Any recommendations?

NeoPatrick May 22nd, 2008 07:17 AM

I've not been to the top of the Stratosphere, but at the VooDoo lounge, what I liked was being able to get a drink and then go outside to the huge open deck and sit and look at the view in relative calm and quiet as you enjoy your drinks, rather than through the glass of the restaurant/bar.

Cher May 22nd, 2008 07:51 AM

So you can be outside at the VooDoo Lounge, but not at the Stratoshere Observation Deck? Seems to be a definite plus to go to VooDoo...

Gekko May 22nd, 2008 08:09 AM

Two of my favorites for the views:

-- Foundation Room at Mandalay Bay

-- Eiffel Tower across from the Bellagio's fountains

Ida101 May 22nd, 2008 08:14 AM

You can go outside on Stratosphere Tower, it is one deck up (stairs) from the deck where the elevator stops.
You can even make some thrills-rides up there.
http://www.vegas.com/attractions/on_...heretower.html

travelinwifey May 22nd, 2008 08:53 AM

Mandalay Bay Foundation Room (only open to the public on Monday night) or Mix Lounge @ THEHotel at night and Stratosphere during the day. Night viewing is much better obviously. Have a great trip:)

Gekko May 22nd, 2008 09:03 AM

I've never had a problem getting a reservation at the Foundation Room.

I think the "not open to the public" thing is just to discourage walk-ups and people in sweatpants.

travelinwifey May 22nd, 2008 09:20 AM

Dunno, I do know people pay 5k per year to have every day access. Local businesspeople do this. When I dined there it did open to the public later in the evening on a Friday I believe....

Attnymom May 22nd, 2008 09:39 AM

I would go to the Mixx Lounge at The Hotel at Mandalay for one drink just for the view. You are outside 63 stories up and the view is amazing. Be sure to visit the bathroom while you are there - while you are (ahem) sitting, the wall in front of you is entirely glass and the view is amazing! Very surreal experience, but not for those scared of heights . . .

djkbooks May 22nd, 2008 10:50 AM

I think the best views of The Strip are from the top of the Eiffel Tower. Right in the center with panoramic views.

The views from the Eiffel Tower restaurant are nice as well. And, you can go just for drinks. No cover, no admission. Views from seats at the bar of the fountains at Bellagio are terrific.

bashfulLV May 22nd, 2008 11:07 AM

The VooDoo Lounge is a great place and the last time I was there they "comped" the ladies. Otherwise I believe the cover charge to go up there is about $10 per person. But it's worth it for the view - IMO.

tenthumbs May 22nd, 2008 11:11 AM

Haven't been to the VooDoo lounge, but I have been to the Stratosphere. The view is great, and you can get a drink and go to the outdoor observation deck, but I don't remember any place to sit and enjoy a drink. If it's serenity you're looking for, the Stratosphere may not be the best place~the screams from the thrillride patrons are less than peaceful!

Scarlett May 22nd, 2008 01:12 PM

You can go outside at the VooDoo Lounge or just stay in the Lounge..you can have drinks (which are very very good) or a nice dinner.
We had some really nice seafood there a couple of times.

It is right across the overpass from the Bellagio ..
The Freemont Street thing is ok but I loved going to the Golden Nugget, where I whined and complained about the smoke, til I stuck $1.00 into a slot machine and won $500- :D

Have fun :) and Good Luck!

marly528 May 23rd, 2008 02:47 AM

The Stratosphere Tower has great views and a couple of unbelievable rides. I couldn't believe that people actually paid money to go on them.Crazy!!, but worth seeing. Outdoor is not peaceful because of the rides, but there is an indoor bar and restaurant with great views.
Worth noting that when my daughter and her hubby went 2 years ago, they were not allowed to go up Stratosphere Tower at night unless they were going on the rides, or dining in the restaurant. I don't know if this is still the case, but I would check it out.

uptowngirl2418 May 23rd, 2008 06:04 AM

We went to the Ghost Bar at the Palms.
Loved the view since it is off of the strip and you can see everything. Went there on a Monday or Tuesday night to avoid the crowd.
Liked it better than the Strastosphere because of the rides.
Didn't make it to VooDoo Lounge which does look really nice.

Cher May 23rd, 2008 07:27 AM

Thanks for all the advise. The evening we are looking to do this will be a Wednesday evening the last week in June -- so not sure what to expect for crowds. It seems that the VooDoo Lounge sounds like a must do!

Nicci May 23rd, 2008 08:09 AM

We went to the Stratosphere specifically for the views from the outdoor deck at night about a week ago. There was not a charge and we were not required to have drinks or dinner.