Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to eat with food allergies (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-eat-with-food-allergies-1107020/)

Jo10 May 13th, 2016 08:21 AM

Where to eat with food allergies

Hi I'm from the UK and will be visiting florida for a vacation this year. We will be staying in Miami, Naples and Orlando. My daughter has multiple food allergies and was wondering if anyone can recommend places to eat out that will cater for her needs. Thanks

vjpblovesitaly May 13th, 2016 08:31 AM

Hopefully any place. Your question is broad. You don't mention what allergies. What do you do at home.

nytraveler May 13th, 2016 08:31 AM

Most real restaurants (as opposed to fast food places and chain restaurants - where most food is prepackaed and just reheated) willmake every effort to adjust to her needs.

But you are going to be very clear about what the allergies are. Most restaurants are used to peanut allergies or people who can;t eat gluten - but if she has a long list I would be sure to have it in writing and ask to speak to the chef if necessary.

barrierheather May 13th, 2016 08:37 AM

Any chain sit down restaurant will have allergen menus, and you can see what meals contain what allergen. As someone else stated you can also make special requests. If you are going to disney, they are extremely accommodating. If you inform them that there are food allergies in your party, a chef will come to your table personally and go over the menu, or make suggestions for you. Hope that helps!

Jo10 May 13th, 2016 10:50 AM

Her food allergies are peanuts,tree nuts, eggs, raw tomato, lupin flour, kidney beans,harricot beans,white beans we also have to be very careful with cross contamination. We don't eat out much here as very few places will guarantee it will be allergen free as very often the ingredients are used in the kitchen.

breckgal May 13th, 2016 01:57 PM

Are you going to Disney World? If so, I found that when I was there with my grandchildren last year, who have multiple food allergies, the restaurants are very accommodating. If you make advance reservations (highly recommend), inform the restaurants at that time of exactly what the allergies are. I was told that the chefs review the allergies listed for the next day reservations to ensure that they have appropriate food on hand. When you are seated inform the server and ask to speak to the chef who will come to your table.

Many restaurant menus are online so you can learn in advance just what type of food they serve. Do not hesitate to call a restaurant to discuss the allergies before showing up. If the person who answers the phone seems hesitant or not sure about what is safe, ask to speak to the manager or the chef.

You may find this website to be helpful. It is a guide to allergy friendly restaurants in the US : www.allergyeats.com.

If possible, I would also bring some packaged food from home and certainly pack plenty in your carry-on bag in case of plane delays.

Good luck! I know this is a difficult road to navigate.

williamscb13 May 13th, 2016 05:22 PM

Are you going to Disney World? There's a Facebook group, Disney Chefs Rock Food Allergies which is fabulous.

Inakauaidavidababy May 13th, 2016 05:31 PM

is she allergic to green beans and yellow beans as well as the hybrid haricot variety?

Jo10 May 13th, 2016 09:51 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies.It's been very reassuring
@Inakauaidavidababy we avoid all beans to be honest.
@breckgal thank you for the allergyeats link I've had a good look and it will be very useful.
I appreciate you all taking the time to reply :)