Where to eat in Alaska?

Search

Where to eat in Alaska?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to eat in Alaska?

We are traveling to Alaska in May. Flying into Anchorage. Driving to Seward for two nights. We will then drive to and stay in Talkeetna, in Denali, in Fairbanks, and in Valdez. We are looking for reasonably priced restaurants to enjoy lots of fresh seafood! How about king crab legs? Are there any seafood buffets to sample a variety that are good?
If you have other places to eat that you want to recommend that is along our route please let me know those as well. We love local places! Thank you for any recommendations.

Also I am in need of 2 Tour Saver Coupons if anyone has these and aren't planning on using them.....Stan Stevens Boat Tour from Valdez 2 for 1 and McKinley Scenic Flight Tour 2 for 1. Thank you!
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 02:10 PM

We found that the food in Alaska was generally pretty pricey, and the farther in one went (say, Denali) the more expensive it was. I paid $20 for a simple grilled cheese sandwich in a casual bar-type place in Healy. Guess it's the price of transporting it there.

There was a place in Seward that specialized in serving "a bucket of butt" (halibut cheeks), can't remember the name but it is in the little shop area near the cruise lines. Never saw anything along the order of seafood buffets. Lots of salmon, that is a big industry.

Will be interesting to see what others suggest here.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM

I never saw a seafood buffet in Alaska either.
We kept our dining expenses in check by eating a big, usually inexpensive, breakfast and one other restaurant meal each day and planning a small picnic type meal, wine and bread and cheese with fruit, for either lunch or dinner. We enjoyed wonderful fish and chips made with fresh halibut and caught and cooked our own salmon. Locals will tell you where they eat if you ask. Just be sure you are ordering the fresh catch seafood. It is all amazingly good. Nothing I buy in a fish market in the lower 48 will ever taste as good again.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 02:23 AM

You might want to think about some picnic lunches. After you leave Anchorage heading north to Talkeetna there isn't much after you get past Wasilla until you're in Talkeetna. Most of the restaurants are local types. In May, you might be too early for the salmon season.
We ended up buying crab legs at a large supermarket and cooking them where we had kitchen priviledges.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM

We had very good king crab at Ray's waterfront restaurant in Seward. It's in the small boat harbor, very easy to find.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all thus far for your suggestions. "Bucket of Butt" was hilarious. You sent me researching and I found it at Thornes Showcase Lounge. Might be a place we get some 'to go' because it reviews as a 'smokey' environment. I did find a place called Smoke Shack that sounds good. Good idea 'dfrostnh' on just gettin some crablegs and fixing them myself. Might have one night we can do that. I guess we could do that here at home but it just feels like something we want to eat in Alaska! lol Ray's looks like it has a nice view 'china_cat...thanks.

Any suggested areas in Fairbanks that were especially good?
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 06:03 AM

cma3, glad you liked it! Like you, we avoid smoky environments, DH's lungs just cannot take it. But unfortunately, by and large that is what you will find in Alaska. They are pretty wide open when it comes to smoking regulations still.