Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to dine in San Francisco before Beach Blanket Babylon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-dine-in-san-francisco-before-beach-blanket-babylon-562083/)

walliemo Oct 2nd, 2005 10:58 AM

Where to dine in San Francisco before Beach Blanket Babylon

Hi everyone,

We will be seeing a 10:00 Saturday night performance of Beach Blanket Babylon. Can you suggest somewhere close to the theatre for dinner? We like all kinds of food and budget is not a big deal. Thanks in advance.

localgal Oct 2nd, 2005 11:27 AM

Moose's!!!

Patrick Oct 2nd, 2005 11:53 AM

While BBB is in North Beach and surrounded by Italian restaurants, I was going to make the same recommendation as localgal-- Moose's is our traditional before (or after) Beach Blanket Babylon place!

jtrandolph Oct 2nd, 2005 08:03 PM

Third vote for Moose's. Enjoy.

LoveItaly Oct 2nd, 2005 09:37 PM

Evidently Ed Moose is or has sold his restaurant but will stay around for awhile. I sure hope that this great restaurant doesn't go downhill. It is a great place to go to although sometimes IMO the staff has an attitude. And sometimes (but not always) I have felt the food is overpriced, but not to the point it is a big deal.

Another good but casual restaurant that I enjoy is the MonaLisa Restaurant which is just a few doors down from the cross street Vallejo on Columbus.

North Beach Restaurant is an old SF restaurant that many like also.

North Beach is a compact area, so whereever you choose to dine you will be close to the BBB. Have a wonderful time in SF!

girlonthego Oct 3rd, 2005 04:03 AM

I'm with LoveItaly and liked the MonaLisa. We had dinner there after our matinee on a Sunday and the food was delicious and it was also very reasonably priced.

mikemo Oct 3rd, 2005 05:46 AM

We also went to Moose's after the Sunday early evening performance.
Should have gone before as they were out of several items.
M

acwsf Oct 3rd, 2005 11:12 AM

There are many restaurants around that area - some good, some fine. In that area, I like El Raigon for Argentian (=steak), Trattoria Contadina, Cafe Jaqueline (only if you have a lot of time) for something romantic, House (pan-asian). Moose's is good, but has suffered a lot of chef turnover in the past few years. I haven't been there recently to comment.

suze Oct 3rd, 2005 02:46 PM

This has nothing to do with the play but I love the restaurants on Belden Place, like B44, et al. (google it, there's a website). It's basically in the financial district, tucked away, an alley full of fun and interesting restaurants (plenty near enough to North Beach to make a 10pm show with no stress). It's quite unique and VERY "San Francisco" IMO.

LoveItaly Oct 3rd, 2005 03:02 PM

Hi suze, good suggestion! Beldon Place is the former alley right off of Bush Street. I love Plouf's. If one is a lover of mussells this is sure a great restaurant to go to. Although since I always get the dish that is loaded with garlic don't order that before going to the theater, LOL.

Budman Oct 3rd, 2005 04:16 PM

We loved Beldon Place and especially Ploufs, but isn't it a hike to somewhere close to the theater? ((b))

LoveItaly Oct 3rd, 2005 04:38 PM

Hi Budman, I would think that probably after dinner at Plouf's or any other fantastic restaurant in Beldon's Place probably that most people would want to take a taxi to BBB. The restaurant will be glad to call one. One could just wait on Bush St where Beldon Place begins.

I have more than once walked from Beldon Place to North Beach (walk off the dinner so to speak) but didn't have a show to go to. Just wanted to go to North Beach for espresso and to enjoy the enviroment which is a bit different then having to be at BBB at a certain time. Best wishes!

bill_boy Oct 3rd, 2005 05:08 PM

I'm a big fan of B44 and the Northern Spanish dishes in the restaurant. Go for the Paella with squid ink - it's tops.

BTW, for the benefit of those wishing to map the street online, the correct spelling is BELDEN Place.

LoveItaly Oct 3rd, 2005 06:37 PM

Yes, it is Belden Place. To clarify further it is off of Bush between Kearny (west) and Montgomery (east).

But closer of course would be eating at a North Beach restaurant as you will be right there by BBB. Enjoy!

walliemo Oct 7th, 2005 06:57 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Now I just have to make up my mind. You've given me plenty of ideas. I'll report back when we return. Thanks again.