Where to camp in MN/WI?

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to camp in MN/WI?

We are looking for a place to go tent camping in Minnesota or north/western Wisconsin. Here's what we are hoping to find:
- secluded or semi-secluded campsites (room enough for two tents).
- boat rentals (either a large fishing boat or a pontoon).
- shower/bathroom facilities near by.
- hiking trails and/or great scenery.

We do not have any kids, so children's acitivies are not important, but we will be traveling with our dog, so the place needs to be pet friendly.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Check out the MN state parks. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/index.html. I'm sure WI has a similar site. How secluded are you looking for?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM

The best resource for what you are looking is the ACOA website, which will give you loads more info than you will find here. I don't think alot of the folks on this site do alot of camping.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

shouldercat: Thanks for the link. By secluded we were just hoping to avoid the "camping park" feel and have our own space w/o neighbors in view... but we are flexible.

travelbuff: I'll check out the ACOA website and thanks for reminding me I might not get many camping responses--this website as been so helpful for me for other trips that I thought I'd try for this one as well.

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Starting south and working north, our favorite parks for camping are: Frontenac, Wild River (avoid the low number sites - they are prairie), Jay Cooke, Tettegouche. Some of the parks have backpacking sites which would have even fewer people around. Another good website is http://www.exploreminnesota.com/ You can pick and choose your specs and get a list of both private and public places. Wherever you end up, remember your mosquito spray!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM

We have favorite parks, but the killer part I think is the boat rental part. That I know nothing about, and I suspect if you are looking at state parks, which are the closest thing to what you mention, you'll have a tough time. Bear Head Lake, Scenic, and McCarthy Lakes in MN all meet your criteria. There may possibly be boat rentals up by Voyageurs National Park. I think you should focus on the baot rental part first and then see what you can come up with.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM

ACOA stands for ....?