Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to buy wine late at night near Tucson airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-buy-wine-late-at-night-near-tucson-airport-803282/)

beanweb24 Aug 27th, 2009 07:21 AM

Where to buy wine late at night near Tucson airport?

I'm traveling from Seattle to Tucson for a girls' spa trip to Miraval. My plan is to fly into Tucson late at night (arriving 9:30 p.m.) then meeting up with my travel companions the next morning (9:30 a.m.) before taking the Miraval shuttle to the resort. We've upgraded our rooms to patio rooms at Miraval, and know that we'd like to partake in a few happy hours with wine. I know we can buy wine at the resort, but for the sake of saving some money and having more choice, we'd like to buy 2-3 bottles ahead of time and take them to the resort with us.

I'm staying my first night at the Hyatt located at 6885 South Tucson Boulevard. Do grocery stores sell wine in Tucson? Are there any nearby the Hyatt that I could walk to (or take a quick cab to) and that would be open late at night?

Thanks!

lennyba Aug 27th, 2009 08:58 AM

Groceries stores sell all types of liquor in Arizona - it's not state controlled like in WA.

I looked up Safeway stores and found one at 9050 E. Valencia, which wouldn't be too far by cab. I wouldn't want you walking around down there late, I must say. Most grocery stores here aren't 24 hours.

PS: One of my neighbors works at Miraval. Are you having any spa treatments?

beanweb24 Aug 27th, 2009 10:08 AM

We're willing to take a cab...just more concerned about whether or not the stores will be open late! I'll check on hours for the Safeway you recommended.

Yes - I'm definitely getting spa treatments. We'll be there for 3 nights, and I have a $450 spa credit to use...and will probably go over it (if history is any indicator). Any tips on which are some of the "best" spa treatments to do? Right now my choices have mostly been around various massage therapies. :)

lennyba Aug 27th, 2009 10:19 AM

I can ask her! I haven't been there myself. Massage sounds pretty darn good, especially if you're going to be hiking.

beanweb24 Sep 28th, 2009 07:15 AM

Hi lennyba -

We ended up getting wine the morning after arrival from Fry's...the taxi guy recommended it as being a little bit closer.

Please tell your neighbor that I loved Miraval. I did get a few spa treatments (sweet slumber from Connie being my favorite), but also spent some time challenging myself (equine experience, quantum leap II, and the climbing wall). Totally fantastic trip - loved it!!!

lennyba Sep 28th, 2009 07:54 AM

Glad you had a good time! It was a beautiful weekend here, wasn't it?

beanweb24 Sep 28th, 2009 08:28 AM

The weather was GORGEOUS. It's going to be a shock tomorrow in Seattle when the high (might) reach 60. :(

lennyba Sep 28th, 2009 08:34 AM

If it makes you feel better, it's supposed to be 105 &*%W#*# degrees here again through Wednesday. I am SO SICK of hot. Counting the days til my next Seattle trip, when it should be gloriously gloomy and drizzly.