Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Where to buy summer clothes in New York City in January

Where to buy summer clothes in New York City in January

Dec 7th, 2000, 01:37 PM
Danuta

Where to buy summer clothes in New York City in January

One week before our departure in the end of January for St. Lucia we will be in New York City for a few days. Are there any places where we can shop for summer clothes this time of the year? Also where is the best place for my husband to shop for a suit under $500? Thanks

Dec 7th, 2000, 01:49 PM
Ess

Danuta, my mother calls summer clothes at that time of year "cruise wear" and I think most of the major department stores carry a line of warm weather vacation clothes - Saks, Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Bloomies. etc. They probably have sites online. As far as a man's suit for under $500, I'm not sure but I think Moe Ginsburg(?) is a big men's shop with discount prices. I don't often shop for menswear, maybe someone else has some advice on that one.

Dec 7th, 2000, 01:59 PM
annK

Daffy's is one of the best places to go, as is Filene's Basement, Moe's Syms, Today's Man, Rothman's and Century 21.

Dec 7th, 2000, 02:19 PM
lisa

Most of the more upscale department stores will have what they call "resort collections" at that time (in other words, clothes to wear on vacation). Not nearly as extensive a selection as you will see in the spring, but a few bathing suits and shorts and such, mostly higher-end. I think you will find more of this kind of stuff at Saks and Nieman's than you will at, e.g., Century 21.

Have a great time in St. Lucia -- it is gorgeous!

Dec 7th, 2000, 06:05 PM
edie

get ready to pay top dollar for a bathing suit at any dept store that time of year. $80 and up...total rip off, but if you didnt buy last summer and need new stuff, resort wear collections at dept stores is your only choice.

Dec 8th, 2000, 12:21 AM
Kate

You might want to check some mail order catalogs, such as Lands End for a bathing suit and cover ups. Or take just a couple items and shop for a few cute new outfits once you get to your destination. At this time of the year, you're going to be paying top dollar in NY, so you might as well wait and shop on an island with a better selection of appropriate attire for the local weather - just a thought

Dec 8th, 2000, 03:29 AM
AC

Hi Danuta:
I second the catalog idea for cruise or resort wear. Lerner, LandsEnd, etc.
JC Penney sell a really nice selection of Men's suits in a variety of price ranges. All on sale right now! Also have a nice selection of women's clothing www.jcpenney.com. Also Men's Wearhouse has a great selection of everything for men a a terric prices. Good luck!

Dec 8th, 2000, 08:19 AM
phyllis

danuta-
try century 21 which is in downtown manhattan, across from the world trade center for men's suits. you may also find "resort wear" as well. also for bathing suits, try any of the big sporting goods stores like modells or sports authority. there are usually bathing suits, shorts and things on sale year round.
phyllis

Dec 8th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Parrot Mom

The dept. stores will have their "resort/cruise" clothes..right after xmas...the good part is that you have a great selection, but New York being New York...you'll pay top dollar.. See if TJ Maxx or Marshalls is available.. as for bathing suits...well at least you will have a selection.. and if worse comes to worse...buy somethng in St. Lucia...Have a great time.. We are going to the D.R. the first week in February..

Dec 9th, 2000, 03:16 PM
Danuta

Thank you all for your great suggestions

Search this Thread