Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   where should we stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-should-we-stay-599666/)

Lear33 Mar 16th, 2006 06:43 AM

where should we stay?

I am considering surprising my sister with a trip to NY in April/May for her birthday (if her husband will watch the kids). Neither of us have been there before. We would be doing the ordinary tourist stuff, seeing the sights. Any suggestions of which neighborhood to stay, and names of nice hotels or apartments that would have a great view would be helpful.

Thanks!

GoTravel Mar 16th, 2006 06:59 AM

New York is a big state. Which city?

bobludlow Mar 16th, 2006 07:30 AM

How long might you plan to stay? What kind of budget do you have for the hotel/apartment?

mclaurie Mar 16th, 2006 08:28 AM

There is no one best location in NYC. The most popular area these days is Times Square, but it's also the most crowded and the most expensive. Budget is a key issue.

The nicest views, imo, are of Central Park and that will cost a pretty penny. The Essex House and the Ritz Carlton Central Park are 2 places with park views.

The Marriott Marquis, the Renaissance and the Hilton Times Square all have good views in Times Square area. The top floors of the Sofitel would also have nice views.

Lear33 Mar 16th, 2006 02:53 PM

We haven't firmed up dates, I think we'll be staying around 4-5 nights. We are traveling to NYC, sorry I wasn't more specific.

suze Mar 16th, 2006 03:27 PM

OK New York City then. Will you share a double room, or you need two singles? Besides a great view any other requirements? Price range?

(We're not picking on you but better details really will help you get answers.)

Lear22 Mar 17th, 2006 09:20 AM

We will be sharing a room. I'm still trying to decide what's more important, a good price (as long as it's a clean hotel), or go all out on a view of the city in more expensive place. What do you recommend? Lear22 = Lear33. Thanks...

nytraveler Mar 17th, 2006 09:59 AM

New York is not primarily for viewing - it's for seeing and doing.

If given the choice between spending a fortune on looking out a window - or using the money for shows, nice restaurants etc, I would definitely go for the latter.

bobludlow Mar 17th, 2006 12:46 PM

Just ask for an upper floor - practically any hotel will have an interesting view unless you live in another large city. All of those buildings! The busy traffic! Plus nytraveler is right - you'll remember your travels through the city streets far more than the view from your hotel window.

But for something a little different (and in honor of St Paddy's Day) I nominate either of the Fitzpatrick hotels. Nice rooms, very cheery staff, and great Irish bars downstairs to end your nights out. Plus where else will you find a speed-dial button on your phone for Aer Lingus?