Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where should we make dining reservations in San Fran, Napa, and Monterey area ahead of time?

Search

Where should we make dining reservations in San Fran, Napa, and Monterey area ahead of time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Erica

My husband and I are spending 2 nights in Pacific Grove, 2 nights in Napa, and 4 nights in San Fran from June 29th to July 7th. If there are any "must eats"... we'd like some suggestions so that we can make reservations ahead of time. We enjoy a variety of cuisines and like lively places, however we'd also like a romatic restaurant or two as this is our first anniversary trip. We don't mind spending a lot on a couple good dinners (more than $100 for two), but I know right now French Laundry is too expensive (and the food doesn't really seem to be our taste). Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!
Erica

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Ruth

Is Chez Panisse in Berkeley too far out of the way for you?

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:35 PM
kam

Fresh Cream in Monterey. Also, good but not glitzy is the Fishwife in Pacific Grove. In Carmel our fave is Grasings or Portabella. So many in SF----you'll have to do some research at www.sfgate.com. One of our very favorites and not known by many tourists is Venticello on Nob Hill or you might like Chapeau over in the Richmond District. Excellent food at both and not many tourists. In Napa I love Tra Vigne, Bistro Jeanty, and Mustards (the first and old standby) A beautiful brunch/lunch can be had at Domaine Chandon including sparkling wines by the glass with each course. If it's a lovely weekend, book a lunch on the terrance at Greystone, the CIA. I am one of those who live in the area (northern CA) who don't find the French Laundry to be the be all and end all of restaurants. As the above suggestion---Chez Panisse is truly wonderful--not just the food but the people, presentation everything. If you are going to be anywhere near Santa Rosa (which is in the Sonoma Wine area) you might want to book John Ash & Co since he comes straight from Chez Panisse and shared much of Alice Water's philosophy. But--since it's the 4th of July weekend, please don't be disappointed by not booking well ahead. Congratulations.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Bob

Pacific Grove: Make reservations at Fandango's in Pacific Grove. Great place, good atmosphere and you will not be disappointed. Many people staying at Pebble and Spanish Bay come there for dinner.

Another choice for that area is Roy's at the Spanish Bay Resort. Get there early and watch the bagpiper walk across the green as he closes down the golf course for the night. They have open fire pits outdoors to enjoy the ocean and the bagpiper before you go in for dinner.

I believe you would enjoy either one of these places.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:34 PM
johannm

We had a birthday lunch last year at Domaine Chandon in Yountville and it was very nice, the patio is beautiful. Tra Vigne, in St. Helena is also worthwhile. Auberge de Soliel is said to be very romantic, but I have only visited, never eaten there.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Kevin

John Ash and Co is good Near Santa Rosa, but I would also recommend The General's Daughter just off the historic old square in Sonoma Town. It's an old victorian house (General Vellejo's daughters') with outside dining, great food and wine and topped off with a stroll around the old square. We had a fabulous anniversary meal there for around the $100 mark.
For something very different, try the Kasbah in San Rafael, just north of San Francisco, the food is excellent and the ambiance is great. A memorable night.
Enjoy
Enjoy.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:50 AM
a

When in Napa, a MUST visit to dine is Auberge De Soleil, for it's location and view. I believe it is in Rutherford, which is the name of the town but it is in the Napa area. We had lunch there one day after visiting the Napa wineries.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:49 AM
lizbeth

Hello Erica,
Here are two places that pleased me recently in San Francisco:

Bacar
448 Brannan Street 415/904-4100
Very eclectic, innovative menu. Great wine list with many choices by the glass. I had the petit fours plate for dessert - it was enchanting, like food for a doll's tea party. Try to get a table upstairs - downstairs can be fun with a view of the open kitchen, but it gets noisy fast.

Meetinghouse
1701 Octavia Street 415/922-6733
This is a nice location if you want to get away from downtown, as it's on the edge of Pacific Heights. It's in a pretty building that used to be an apothecary. The food is based on American classics, but refined and taken in new directions. For dessert, (can you guess my favorite course?) if the house-made ice cream/sorbet assortment is on the menu, you MUST order it. I dined at the Meetinghouse for the first time about five years ago, and the plum sorbet I had then still lingers in memory because it was like ingesting a whole summer's worth of fruit and sunlight in every spoon!

The service at both these places is warm and caring. While neither Bacar or Meetinghouse falls into the "ultra-deluxe" category, I'd plan on spending about $90-$100 per couple if you have wine and several courses.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:01 AM
seamus

In San Francisco, two suggestions: Betelnut in Cow Hollow, pan Asian very popular and if you like a great California wine list with reasonable prices, Plumpjack Cafe.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Tony

A new place in St. Helena, Martini House, is excellent and the current hot spot in the Napa Valley due to rave reviews it recently received in several publications. You might also try Julia's Kitchen at Copia - excellent, unique meals. For making dinner reservations in SF or Napa, try the web site opentable.com

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:46 AM
sharon

check out the thread "Dining Deals in San Francisco!"

there are some great deals right now that you should not miss.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:20 PM
L

yes,

I was going to say Fandango in Pacific Grove. Also Fi-fi's French food by Safeway, on Forest Avenue, in Pacific Grove is excellent. Do not let the area fool you. Inside you are in Paris. In that same court is Vito's Italian, classic Italian, high class food.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Kal

Alooohaaa,
Another thumbs up for Martini House in St Helena.
Our anniversary and their Opening Night were on the same da this past Nov so we went. Had blast. Def. needed reservations that night and to be on the safe side, we always call restaurants to see if they accept them.

Bouchon's in Yountville has one of the better oyster bars on the Left Coast.
French atmosphere. Nice place like similar to the mentioned Bistro Jeanty, also in Y'ville just down the street.

Napa Valley Grille, also Y'ville still puts out an excellent plate.
Good luck.
Kal