Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where should I stay in NYC when going to a Yankees game??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-should-i-stay-in-nyc-when-going-to-a-yankees-game-488479/)

kab3164 Nov 30th, 2004 08:28 AM

Where should I stay in NYC when going to a Yankees game???

What do you think is the best hotel to stay in when going to a Yankees game and doing sightseeing in NYC? I am looking to spend about $150 - $200 a night. Thanks.

Rachel Nov 30th, 2004 09:43 AM

for our annual trips to NYC to see the yankees, we just stay wherever in Manhattan we get the best bang for our buck. we like to stay within a few blocks of Grand Central so we can just hop on a subway. The subway drops you off right at Yankee Stadium. Yankee Stadium is not in a part of NYC where you probably want to stay.

nytraveler Nov 30th, 2004 09:51 AM

Yankee Stadium is in The Bronx - not Manhattan - and there are no hotels nearby (and if there were you wouldn;t want to stay in them - rental by the hour).

You stay in Manhattan to do your other sightseeing and then take either the train or the boat to the Stadium - along with 50,000 others. Either way the trip is fast and simple.

JJ5 Nov 30th, 2004 09:54 AM

When I did this, I didn't need much direction. We just followed the crowds at the subway station to the Bronx.

Coming back at night it was mobbed, but we just needed to know when to get off.

AllanNYC Dec 1st, 2004 02:49 AM

FYI, you would take either the 4 or D train to Yankee Stadium. It's a quick ride from midtown Manhattan, maybe 20-30 minutes.

Both trains are easy to cath in Manhattan. The 4 runs along Lexington Ave on the East side and the D runs along Sixth Ave.

k_999_9 Dec 1st, 2004 05:18 AM

The Yankees? Do they still have a team? I'd double-check before making plans.

nytraveler Dec 1st, 2004 05:27 AM

Really? 26 world series wins - and you think after 1 in 86 years by the Red Sox the Yankees are done?

(There's a t-shirt showing Babe Ruth - saying "Red Sox in 2090".)

mclaurie Dec 1st, 2004 05:28 AM

Here's the subway map
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

The B,D or 4 train will get you there. You might check the Beacon Hotel on the upper west side. It's popular and has apt style rooms with kitchens in a nice residential area near the Museum of Natural History.

k_999_9 Dec 1st, 2004 05:30 AM

Keep watching the History Channel, nytraveler. That's where the Yanks belong.

Now, back to the 21st century: the Sox and Yanks are tied, 1-1, in World Series championships.

(Oh, man, I'm loving this.)

Ryan Dec 1st, 2004 05:46 AM

K999,
If you are going to try and rank out a Yankees fan, at least be smart enough to do it right.

The first year of the 21st Century was 2001, not 2000.

k_999_9 Dec 1st, 2004 06:41 AM

Ryan, Ryan, Ryan: Love ya, man, even though you are a Yanks fan. But you have sunk to a new low: dredging up trivia in place of a real argument. Next you'll be jumping alll over me for typogrpahical errosr.

Ryan Dec 1st, 2004 06:49 AM

Trivia? Around here we call it a CALENDAR.

Perhaps in Boston there was a year Zero. As for the rest of the planet...

k_999_9 Dec 1st, 2004 07:16 AM

Boy, when those Yanks fans start using ALL CAPS, you know they're fired up.

OK, you win: The Yanks have exactly no championships in the 21st century. Maybe things will get better when they acquire Pedro. Then you can hope for the Pedro thing in place of the dead Bambino thing.

BTW, how many days in Feb. next year?

kab3164 Dec 1st, 2004 07:23 AM

Ryan,
What about any hotel suggestions for me??? Thanks.

Ryan Dec 1st, 2004 07:32 AM

The Stadium is fairly easy to get to whether you're on the East Side or West Side of Manhattan as there is a subway line from both sides of town that go to the Stadium stop.

I'd suggest you pick a hotel that you like that fits your budget. Numerous threads here can give you some suggestions for hotels. I'm not a good person to answer this as I've spent exactly 1 night my life at a NY hotel.

There

nytraveler Dec 1st, 2004 09:37 AM

Unless you are going to be spending every day at the stadium I would simply pick a hotel in midtown based on price and general convenience. If the Stadium is where you will be spending most of your time I would get a hotel right near Grand Central so you can easily take the 4 train.

See this for directions:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...ns_parking.jsp

AllanNYC Dec 2nd, 2004 01:33 PM

Hey Yankee fans... How about that Jason Giambi?

Ryan Dec 2nd, 2004 01:40 PM

If I'm Steinbrenner, I'm looking to void his contract and claim he misrepresented his true physical condition. Clearly, he's damaged goods and he shouldn't be paid for performing to a level that he obviously did get to without some chemical help.

BTW, if Barry Bonds has any shred of moral decency left, he retires from the game before breaking Aaron's record.

fehgeddaboudit Dec 2nd, 2004 06:10 PM

You're not very good at this k999999 / ahhnold.

k_999_9 Dec 3rd, 2004 11:57 AM

Whatever "this" is.