Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where should i stay in Baltimore for Preakness? Where is close to track?

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to the Preakness Stakes May 16th. I'm trying to book my flight today with hotel but every hotel I call says they are 30-45 mins away from the track (even though the hotels are in Balt).. Is Baltimore that big? Are there any hotels near the track? We will also be going out to meet friends in Baltimore. Need to know where to stay so im not taking $100 cab rides. Thx
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 08:31 AM

I would stay in Fell's Point or the Inner Harbor - plenty of hotels to choose from (unless they are all booked). The track is outside of the tourist area in Baltimore - I agree with the 30-45 minutes when you consider the # of people that will be going there.. It will be an expensive taxi ride to the race but outside of that a cab wouldn't be necessary. have you considered renting a car? There may be buses that run from the Harbor to the race considering the amount of people.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:51 AM

Pimlico isn't in the best neighborhood, which is probably why you haven't found any hotels near it. Here's some info from the public transit on the best ways to use transit to the track for the Preakness:

BEST TRANSIT OPTIONS TO PREAKNESS

From Towson-Lutherville-Timonium-Hunt Valley-Southern PA:

Take Light Rail to Cold Spring Lane Stop. Take connecting Shuttle Bus to Pimilico ($3.50 Day required). Pass

From Glen Burnie-BWI Marshall Airport-Linthicum-Severna Park-Annapolis:

Take Light Rail to Cold Spring Lane Stop. Take connecting Shuttle Bus to Pimlico ($3.50 Day required). Pass

From Downtown Baltimore:

Take Metro Subway from Charles Center or Lexington Market to Rogers Avenue Station. Take connecting Shuttle Bus to Pimilico ($3.50 Day required). Pass

Or, take Light Rail to Cold Spring Lane Stop. Take connecting Shuttle Bus to
Pimlico ($3.50 Day required). Pass

From Owings Mills-Reisterstown-Glyndon-Old Court-Milford Mill:

Take Metro Subway to Rogers Avenue Station. Take connecting Shuttle Bus to Pimlico. ($3.50 Day required). Pass

From Mt. Washington-Falls Road-Cold Spring-Northern Parkway-Cross Keys:

Take Park & Ride Express Bus from Poly-Western High School to Pimlico ($3.50 round trip).

I found this via a link on pimlico.com under FAQS. You might want to check them out in deciding where to stay.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:08 AM

Toddy:

If you want to be close to the track, the only option is the Radisson Hotel at Cross Keys. It's only a mile or two from Pimlico, and it's in a completely different neighborhood (Roland Park). Your friends could very easily pick you up there on the way, or you could get a cab since it's a short drive. The area right around Pimlico is iffy, but if you go a mile to the north or east it's fine. Just don't go west or south.
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:53 AM

I certainly am not an authority, but I drive the interstate near the race track regularly and have the impression that there are several hotels there. If you want to stay near the track, look for hotels in Timonium, MD. Timonium is a suburb of Baltimore (due west) and is the location of the race track. However, be aware that this location will put you far away (relatively) from the non-track 'action' in Baltimore. You have to make a choice.
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM

Hi Polly-

The Preakness is at Pimlico race track, not at Timonium - you're right, there are a number of hotels around there, but unfortunately the Preakness is not!
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM

I don't know if you are aware of the changes that apply this year, but if you plan to be in the infield, they are not allowing any beverages to be brought in. This means BEER, sodas , and I think even water. The price for the infield ticket is $50!!!!
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM

For me one of the highlights of the Preakness is the news reporting on the infield clean-up the next day. I just hope the new rule doesn't make it less interesting!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM

Hey smetz---thanks! LOL! All these years, I thought that the Preakness was run at Timonium. Thanks for clearing that up. You can tell how important horse racing is in my life!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM

Polly - But it sounds like you do have some familiarity with the "non-track action" in Baltimore!