Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where should I go that's warm this winter with my husband and baby? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-should-i-go-thats-warm-this-winter-with-my-husband-and-baby-1030301/)

acebeer1 Nov 16th, 2014 02:25 PM

Where should I go that's warm this winter with my husband and baby?

I would like to take a trip this winter with my husband and will be 1 year old this January or February. I would like to go somewhere warm and was originally thinking carribean, but am a bit put off by the chikungunya virus. I would love Hawaii but its a bit far I guess.

I was thinking Miami and drive to the florida keys. Ive been to miami many times, but never the keys. Corpus christi was also suggested. We are traveling from NY so hoping to stick to a shorter flight, 3 hours and under. Any other ideas for fun warm places with a baby? What about New Orleans, Savannah Georgia, or Myrtle Beach? Do those places get warm in the winter?

Thanks!

Ackislander Nov 16th, 2014 02:54 PM

None of those last places is go-in-the-water-at-the-beach warm.

The Keys are a good idea as are Naples and Marco Island on the West Coast of Florida. The later in February you go, the more reliable the warmth.

With a toddler, I would suggest a VRBO apartment rental rather than a hotel unless it isn't a vacation without someone bringing you drinks by the pool.

nytraveler Nov 16th, 2014 04:33 PM

The only places in the US with guaranteed warm wether that time of year is Hawaii, Puerto rico and virgin Islands.

Other than that you will get more moderate weather than NY - but no guarantee of really warm/beach weather.

acebeer1 Nov 16th, 2014 07:56 PM

Is New Orleans a baby friendly city?

NewbE Nov 16th, 2014 08:29 PM

I'm sorry, I don't really know what that means. New Orleans will not be warm in February--not cold, but not warm. South Florida will be warm. But only you know if you'd rather go to the beach, or spend time in a city.

Ackislander Nov 17th, 2014 02:57 AM

New Orleans is not a baby friendly city.

Gretchen Nov 17th, 2014 03:43 AM

Many places will be warmer than NY.
Thanks Ack--that was straightforward and correct. Odd question!!
The suggestions of the Keys or Marco area are good but Florida "can" be downright COLD.

acebeer1 Nov 17th, 2014 07:14 AM

Obviously I know that places will be warmer than NYC! I also didnt think that NOLA was baby friendly but you'd be surprised there are a bunch of blogs about how its a great city with a baby.

Thanks for your responses. At this point we are leaning towards flying into Miami and driving to the keys. Corpus Christi in TX is an option too, though I know less about this option. Hawaii is also an option in my dreams.

ChiSue Nov 17th, 2014 08:19 AM

LONG (and expensive) flight to Hawaii, especially with a baby. You'd want a separate seat for him/her, too. (I'd always prefer to see a child in a carseat, in a separate seat, but you might manage with a lap baby on a shorter run.)

Don't count on hot unless you go south of the Bahamas in winter. We've done cruises and stayed on St. Thomas/St. John -- and other Caribbean islands. Awful to be cold in Florida with unheated lodgings.

Gretchen Nov 17th, 2014 08:41 AM

I wasn't being snarky about being warmer than NY. If you aren't going to sit around a pool, a trip to Charleston could be VERY enjoyable--warmer than NY, and perhaps quite warm, but you never know. and there is a LOT to do. It is pretty similar in "tone" to your asking about NOLA.
Any town can be "baby friendly". NOLA probably is, and especially if you live there. It isn't my idea of a place to go with a tiny baby for many reasons.

BigRuss Nov 17th, 2014 08:51 AM

<<Is New Orleans a baby friendly city?>>

Ackislander is right, it is not. It is one of the oldest cities in the country and its condition (streets, sidewalks, numerous buildings) as well as the nature of its restaurants (many are small and cramped) render it not baby-friendly.

Dickie_Gr Nov 17th, 2014 09:04 AM

I agree that all your suggestions are at best a big risk. The lows fall down as far as the North Bahamas. We have been "cold" with lots of wind in The Bahamas in February. You really need to delay until around Easter if you want definite wamer weather South of SC.

The Turk and Caicos are a surer bet and there are some reasonable rentals.

What's your budget?

Jet Blue offer some very cheap direct flights to the T&C after Christamas.

nanabee Nov 17th, 2014 06:59 PM

My first choice would be Hawaii, but it is a very long flight as you've mentioned!

Southern California will be nice - it won't be hot, but it'll be in the mid 70's that time of the year (no rain is expected as we're still in a draught) with clear blue skies. There will be lots to do with a young child - the SD Zoo, Legoland, Balboa Park, etc.

nanabee Nov 17th, 2014 07:01 PM

drought...opps!

Maggi Nov 17th, 2014 08:12 PM

We just got back from Aruba and really liked it. We could use American cash, great food, driving is easy and there are lots of public beaches. We rented a gorgeous 3 bdrm house with a private pool for $1400 for the week.

Dukey1 Nov 18th, 2014 03:01 AM

Depends on what you mean by "warm." In Hawaii, Oahu in particular, the average temperature is about 80 degrees and yes, you can, go into the ocean swimming all year long.

Down here in South Florida some people find the ocean a bit cool to swim in during the winter months and parts of central and northern/northwest Florida get occasional frost and even "freezing" temperatures.

If you want guaranteed "warm" and in a place that isn't so "far" as you feel Hawaii is, consider somewhere like the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico.

carolyn Nov 18th, 2014 02:56 PM

If your heart is really set on Hawaii, you might think of breaking the trip with an overnight in Los Angeles or whatever city your flight goes through to give Baby a night's sleep--both going and coming, of course.

acebeer1 Nov 18th, 2014 06:51 PM

Hawaii is an 11 hour flight from here so yes it is far. We will go there someday with older kids probably. I've been to the carribean several times and love it, but want to avoid it this year due to the chikungunya virus that is going around there. I think we will chance it with Miami and the keys. Anyone done that drive with a baby? How was it?

Gretchen Nov 19th, 2014 03:42 AM

Have you driven 4 hours anywhere else with the baby? There's certainly plenty of places to stop and walk around on the way.

ChiSue Nov 19th, 2014 06:54 AM

There's also the desert -- Phoenix, Palm Springs, etc.

I would not stop enroute to Hawaii unless you really want to see the stopover city and plan to stay more than just overnight. It's a hassle to leave the airport and return, pay for transportation, hotel, meals, and to go back through TSA again (90 minutes before your flight departs). A baby will sleep as well on a plane as off -- which may not be for long, but no worries about *baby's* health (or sanity).

I also would not *drive* to Florida in *winter*, baby or no baby.

Might you leave baby with a trusted relative for up to one week? My mother managed well with our DS, with a little assistance from a part time nanny.

It's nine hours Chicago-Honolulu; eight on the return (tail winds). Returns are usually redeyes.