Where's a good place to live just outside New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am thinking about moving back to New York City after many years of living in Dallas. Where is a good and reasonably- priced place to live just outside of New York City? I would like to live in a suburb area and commute to the city to work.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:47 AM

What do you consider "reasonably- priced" and how far are you willing to commute?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I'm out of touch in regards to the cost of living in Dallas vs. New York. At the moment I am paying $610 month for an apartment, but I'm thinking I'll have to pay $800 plus in New York. In regards to commuting time, I wouldn't mind 45 minutes to an hour which is the same drive time for me here in Dallas to my job.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM

Since you say you're thinking about moving "back" to NYC, where did you live at that time?

Being a former resident, you must be aware that the terms "good" "reasonably priced" and "just outside NYC" are total contradictions.

Generally speaking, if the area is close in and good, it will be expensive. It would be hard to find even a studio for $800.

Where in NYC would you be commuting to? Do you need a place within walking distance to public transportation, or will you drive (which raises separate issues of parking availability and cost)? And by "outside of NYC", do you mean NJ, Westchester & LI, or are you referring to the outer boroughs, which are actually part of NYC?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:13 AM

"$800 plus in New York."

Oh my. Even in the suburbs, that's going to rent you a hovel. You could maybe get something like that in the Bronx or maybe Trenton or Jersey City, but I would be somewhat concerned about safety. And you definitely don't want to drive.

Could you afford someting more like $1000 to $1500?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
GoTravel

Sorry but I smell Bunchargum.

First post and wants to know where is a 'good place to live JUST outside NYC' for $800???

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi again, thanks for the advice. I left New York in 1979. I lived on Staten Island but I am sured it has changed since. I have lost touch with friends from that time and am not aware as to which Borough is safer than the others. As you can tell, I am really out of touch in regards to the cost of living around and in New York City. I am open to living in one of the Boroughs or New Jersey. I'm wanting to find a safe, affordable area and be able to commute to New York City. Thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM

Damask, hope you've recovered from sticker shock by now! Obviously, it's not 1979 anymore. Just by way of comparison, a decent 1BR apt. in midtown would rent for app. $2500, so even going outside of NYC, while it will be cheaper than that, it won't be one-fourth of the price.

The only area of the Bronx I would recommend would be Riverdale, and I still think your budget is too low. Pelham Parkway would be a distant second choice. Again, you'd really have to consider a studio apt. as opposed to a one-BR. In Queens, I'd suggest you try Forest Hills, but I have a friend who rented an alcove studio there for $1000 and that was over 5 years ago. I'm sure there are parts of Staten Island and Brooklyn that would meet your requirements in terms of close-in and nice, but not sure about the rental prices. Oh, and just a suggestion: If you do end up in these boroughs, don't tell your neighbors you're living "outside NYC" since you'd not only be wrong, but they may be offended.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
GoTravel

"I am really out of touch in regards to the cost of living around and in New York City. I am open to living in one of the Boroughs "

You've lost me. Last time I checked, the buroughs were New York City.

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:07 PM

There are some great places to live in New Jersey, especially in Bergen County. But cost will defintely be a factor, because even on the Jersey side you would be lucky to find a studio for 800. As for Jersey City, it has changed so much, and is becoming very developed. And Trenton is way to far. If you are single and not concerned about school systems and what not, be sure to try out Bergen and Hudson Counties. Most towns offer trains and buses to the city. Check out Craigslist.com too for apts and to get an idea of what prices are. Happy hunting!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:09 PM

There are a lot of NYC commuters from the Trenton area. NJT is about an hour to Penn Station on the Express commuter trains. While the city of Trenton is not very attractive, the 'burbs of Trenton are very nice.

I live in Bucks Co., PA, about 10-15 minutes from Trenton, and my guesstimate is about 10% of the people living nearby work in NYC. Personally, it's not for me, but I guess it all depends on how you value your time.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:34 PM

Damask ==>

I too left the Northeast to come to Dallas...joined Texas Instruments in 1977. Been back to NY and New England many times but there is no chance I'd ever move back there. Your cost of living and quality of life are going to change dramatically, and not for the better I'm afraid.

A couple of years ago, I sold my home in Richardson and bought a townhome in Frisco. The Richardson home would cost 4 times as much in Westchester County. By comparison, taxes in NY are outrageous. And don't overlook the cost of commuting...much higher in NY.

Unless you HAVE to move to NYC, I'd think long and hard before I went back there.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:05 PM

Wow - you are out of touch and in for a big shock. $800/mo is not going to get you very much unless you are very far outside NYC. If you are trying to keep your commuting time down to between 45 and 60 minutes, especially if you are thinking in terms of "door-to-door" time, your choices are going to be very limited and you probably won't feel safe. Either consider upping your rent budget to somewhere around $1,200 for a commute under 60 minutes or increasing your travel time to something like 1 1/2 to 2 hours door to door and you might find something suitable in the $800 to $1,000 range. Just so you have an idea, I used to live in northeastern Bergen County (about 18 miles from my mid-town office) and I rarely spent less than 90 minutes on my morning commute and just about 10 minutes less on my evening commute. That was driving my own car, taking public transportation took even longer.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:37 PM

Since most previous posters have covered the realities of the real estate market here...

Have you not negotiated a NYC appropriate salery for whatever job you will hold here? If you are a career person, it seems likely that your job would pay well enough to live better than $800 a month.

Other option: Roommates? Yikes.

Craigslist is a good suggestion. Start there.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:48 PM

Have you looked into job opoortunities in NYC? I know our real estate is going to be stratospheric vs Texas - but I think you'll find salaries are considerably higher too.

The risk is taking a transfer within a company - that offers an increase for NYC that sounds good - but is actually way too low for an NYC salary.

Also- will you have a car in NYC - or can the money you currently put towards that go towards rent?

Really - $800 is not realistic at all for a decent area without a massively long commute. Even in the outer boroughs a decent apartment is more in the region of $1200 to $1500.

For examples - look at NYTimes.com real estate section - and perhaps Craigs list - for Riverdale, Astoria, Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill etc to get some ideas.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:04 PM

Damask ==>

I just did a couple of calculations using the cost of living calculators available on the web. As an example, if you make $100,000 in Dallas, you would need to make $143,000 in NYC to maintain the same life style. And that tain't gonna happen.

As I said before, take a good hard look before leaving Texas.

JimM
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:28 AM

Well- I don;t know what salaries are like in Dallas. But - once you're been working for a while - which presumably the OP has - since she/he says moving back after a long time -and naturally depending on what you do. - $143,000 isn;t a huge salary in NYC.

FYI - the average salary (not household income - but salary for eveyone who has a job) in NYC is $76,000. And I believe the lox man at Zabar's makes about $85,000 (granted lox is expensive - but it's still slicing fish.)

So I would seriously investigate the job market before deciding that $800 is all you can afford.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:24 AM

I own a few small rental houses in Queens and you can get something for $800 per month.... That is what I would rent my one bedroom for.

I currently rent a large one bedroom with a decent sized back yard with a parking spot in the driveway for $1150 per month. A few years ago I was getting $1000 per month. BUT....this is in Jackson Heights which is a very safe historical and convenient neighborhood. The trip to Manhattan is 15 minutes by one of two express subways which are three blocks away from this 3 family house.

See the people at re-max on Northern Boulevard. You'll find a decent apartment in Woodside or Jackson Heights for $800 - $1000....easily.

Vacancies are few so if you see what you like be prepared to make a decision on the spot.

FYI a three bedroom apartment in that same private house goes for $1475....not too bad. All the tenant pay is electricity. I provide heat and hot water.

My inlaws rent their first floor small one bedroom apartment for $700 per month. This is in College Point, another great neighborhood. You'd have to take a bus to the subway to get to Manhattan.

Manhattan prices are obnoxious but to get something affordable try Woodside, Jackson Heights, College Point, Whitestone, or Bayside in Queens.

In Brooklyn try Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Brighton Beach, or Greenpoint. All of the neighborhoods are virtual United Nations. They are all very safe and very convenient.

Good luck.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM

First -- before anything -- are you coming *with* a job or do you plan on coming here and *then* looking for a job? HUGE difference. NYC is COMPLETELY different from what it was in '79. I would visit first and see how you feel after you recover from the many shocks you will experience.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:41 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is you can't use the rent someone else is currently paying as an indicator of what your own rent would be, especially if they've had their apartment for a long time.

The rent control/stabilization laws in NYC are such that they tend to keep rents artificially low for those eligible apartments. However, once a tenant moves, the landlord is entitled to a big jump, or in some cases becomes exempt from the laws.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -