Search

Where on Oahu for 5 nights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where on Oahu for 5 nights?

Hi,
My husband and I are taking a quick trip to Oahu to see a concert in September.
We fly into Honolulu on Friday. The concert is in Honolulu (at the arena at the Neil Blaisdell Center) on Tuesday night.
We're not big on crowds or nightlife so we thought we would stay at Turtle Bay Resort for the first 4 nights, then stay in HI or Waikiki for the night of the concert.
But...now that I've been reading about the Kahala and the Halekulani, I'm tempted to avoid the trek North.
Will the Kahala give us the feeling of a real getaway? Is the beach very crowded?
Or should we consider someplace else altogether?
We don't really want to cook for ourselves much so I don't think a condo or house rental would be ideal.
And advice would be greatly appreciated!
LB
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:15 AM

The first time we went we stayed at the Royal Hawaiian at Waikiki beach, nice but not fantastic. The next time we choose to go West to the Marriotts Ko Olina Hotel (spelled right?). Awesome! Great location just 15-20 minutes from teh North shore. Beautiful location and fun place to stay. It is very popular with the Marriott crowd, everyone wants to stay there. We loved it and was still not to far from everything else.

The first time it felt like a chinese version of LA and the nest time Hawaii.

Have fun!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not pick the Halekulani this point because of the construction in the area. Perhaps it would not bother you once you were in the hotel, but...

How about the other end of Waikiki (if you choose to stay in the city) towards DiamondHead, maybe the New Otani. It's a quiet stretch of beach down that way, near Queen Kapiolani Park.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:54 AM

How about the JW Marriott Ilihani?
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I haven't stayed at the Kahala but my husband and I always drive around in that neighborhood when we visit Waikiki. I'd think it'd be a great option for those who want to be close to Waikiki but still want some peace and quiet. It's about a 10 min drive from Waikiki.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

first of all, thanks to all of you for replying.

1. I'm checking out the Ko Olina/Ihilani. Did you find the lagoon near the resort very crowded?

2. New Otani doesn't feel quite right for us.

3. Suze, thank you for letting us know about construction near the Halekulani. I think it's too central for what we want anyway. And it's nice to cross one off of the list!

No votes for Turtle Bay or the Kahala? Any reason?

Thanks again! (And I promise a detailed trip report

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM

low,
I've not stayed at the Ilihani, but I suggested it as it seemed to meet your requirements for low-keyness and it is not as long a drive as the north shore. Good luck in your search.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Would that be for Nine Inch Nails?

Ko'Olina is about 45-50 minutes (not 15-20 minutes) from the north shore & about 45 minutes from Blaisdell Center.

Traffic to & from Ko'Olina can really get bad.

My vote is for Kahala Resort & Hotel if you do not want Waikiki. You would not have to change hotels. It is only 5-10 minutes from Waikiki & yet is isolated.

Turtle Bay Resort is about an hour from Honolulu/Waikiki.

September after Labor Day is a low number of tourists so you should be able to find lodging fairly cheap.

Lots of private beach houses, condos on www.vrbo.com

Lots of Oahu info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

As you can see from the list, there are a lot of things to see & do in & around Honolulu. So Maybe Waikiki is the place for you. There are a lot of inexpensive condos in Waikiki & many are a lot better value than a hotel.

There are hundreds of restaurants in Waikiki.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Okay, we're from L.A., so we definitely DON'T want traffic. Gonna have to cross Ko Olina off of the list.

Dusty, you caught me! My husband is a HUGE Trent Reznor fan. I describe him as a preppy with a goth heart.

So, now I'm leaning toward either
1. staying at Kahala the whole time or
2. staying at Turtle Bay for 4 nights and the Kahala for 1 (or 2 if I can talk my husband into it).
I just wish we had more time to do Oahu justice!

Kahala is a bit more expensive, but you seem to get a much nicer room for the money. (The cottages and suites at TB are outrageously priced.)

We did find an amazing deal on a TB Villa at vrbo, but the logistics aren't really appealing. (We're sort of suckers for maid service, too.)

Thanks again!
Still mulling,
LB

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't vote further because I only stay in Waikiki... & at cheaper places ;-)

I just happen to know the new Trump Tower among other construction projects, is going up right near the Halekulani.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:34 PM

I think I would also agree with staying at the Kahala. If you are from LA and are sick of living your life in your car, take the closer hotel. The Kahala is just far enough out of Waikiki to be away from all the madness. And since it's an upscale hotel, you know it will be civilized digs!

At the very least, do the Kahala for 2 nights (including the one with the concert). Another tip: with the closure of TGI Fridays across the Blaisdell, there are fewer places to eat before the concert. And the area is already devoid of enough culinary options! You could go early and park the car, then walk to eat.

The Blaisdell area is surrounded by 3 streets and my high school: Kapiolani Boulevard (south), Ward Avenue (west), and King Street (north-ish). You could walk out to King Street and turn right. (McKinley High School will be on your right). Keep walking a couple of blocks and along the way you will find various restaurants within about 10-15 minutes; more restaurants if you walk farther.

You could walk along Ward Avenue toward the ocean (south) and there will be various restaurants along the way as well, probably the same time distance.

There are a few on Kapiolani either way as well.

I suggest doing that because that's what I often do for concerts. It's tougher (to me) to eat first, then try to fight the hordes for a parking space at the Blaisdell.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:35 AM

Hey Melissa,

another mckinley grad here!

i also suggest the kahala. i've only stayed there once (back when it was a hilton) but LOVED it, and strolled along the beach in the evening. very quiet and private. i think, a long time ago, that prince charles and princess di stayed there overnight, more privacy and security. i think they might still run shuttles to waikiki and ala moana if you don't want to drive all the time.

the restaurants are good (tho pricey) but there is kahala mall nearby with several dining options, plus bowling and movies. it's a relaxed part of town and one of our hangout spots. there's several restaurants and casual places to go and try something and chains like chili's and california pizza kitchen.

ihilani is VERY nice but lots of people end up going into town anyway for stuff to do when they get tired of hanging at the pool or beach. it's really in 'nowhere.' turtle bay is usually very windy and sometimes too cold to be out much.

as for eating and the concert, we grab a snack beforehand then go eat a late dinner afterward, getting out of the parking lot as quick as possible!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 05:04 AM

lowhedgerow(or anyone)- Can I ask what you didn't like about New Otani. I too am looking for a hotel in Oahu for about 5 days in October, and New Otani was one I'd been considering. Thanks...
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Melissa-- Thanks for the scoop on the Blaisdell area! I can't imagine where else I would find such great information.

Beatle-- I've never been to Oahu or stayed at the New Otani. My feeling was that it's for people who want to stay in Waikiki but want things a bit quieter. For me, it felt like it wasn't removed enough to feel like a real escape. It's a hotel among many hotels, no tropical resort feel. Also, it doesn't have a pool. May or may not be important to you. But again, I haven't been there, so what do I know?

Right now, my plan is to try to get my husband to stay out the week. that way, we can have Turtle Bay for 4 nights and Kahala for 4 nights. I know we want to visit the North Shore to snorkel and see Turtle Beach and we got a good deal on our room at TB.

Still...TB has a good cancellation policy so I'll keep my eye out for any deals at Kahala or Ihilani.

Thanks again!
LB
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM

A close friend stayed at The Kahala and loved it! Don't think you could go wrong. I really like the New Otani, not as luxurious as the Kahala, for sure, but immaculately clean with the most wonderful panoramic views in their Ocean View jr. suites, of the lights of Waikiki and the ocean. Now a non-smoking hotel, as well.

The ocean is like a calm, sloshy, saltwater bath in front of the hotel so you don't actually need a pool there.

Have a good trip.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I had no idea Nine Inch Nails was doing a concert here! I saw them at the Lollapalooza festival a bazillion years ago (now I'm dating myself) and they were great. Not so sure if I could get up the energy to see them now, though.

Personally, I like the idea of the Kahala hotel. It's close enough to downtown Honolulu so that you're not going to encounter severe traffic issues, yet it's still out of the hustle and bustle of Waikiki.

I've rarely seen the beach at the Kahala being very crowded, though the sand is a little bit on the rockier side.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:33 PM

machbird, what year? or is it impolite to ask?

There's quite a few of us on fodors.....varying years....
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Well, my husband is 50 if that makes you feel any better. You're never too old for angst!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Aloha lowhedgerow,
I think that if I were you I would book my entire trip at the Kahala (no need to change Hotels). You can drive into Waikiki or where ever else for that matter as it is not too far away from anything really. But it is not at all "Waikiki" crowded. For the night of the concert call down to the front desk and have them get you a Taxi, then you are just dropped off at the front door to the concert (no haslte parking) and you can enjoy the concert and take a Taxi back to the Hotel. My husband and I do this from Kailua all the time as we dont want to haslte with the parking at events and who knows maybe we have a couple of drinks and then we dont have to worry someone else is driving!
Enjoy your trip!
Mahalo,
Jeanne
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM

i would say the kahala is good if you want to do stuff around the island, and turtle bay is good if you want to do nothing but hang out and relax.

melissa, class of *ouch* '87. where does the time go? i actually remember you on this board from a few years ago, i posted under 'islandgirl' from the UK before the registration thing here. the majorly long 'cheap eats in honolulu' thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -