Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where is your favourite place in the USA ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-is-your-favourite-place-in-the-usa-960528/)

kodi Dec 27th, 2012 10:18 AM

Where is your favourite place in the USA ?

I recently enjoyed a road trip all around Bryce Canyon , Zion and the Grand Canyon . I was thrilled to see such beauty .
I would like to do more road trips in the USA . Where is your favourite place? ... Beautiful scenery .... Favourite city? Where would you recommend I go?

I have also,been to Tennessee and also parts of California and loved it

maitaitom Dec 27th, 2012 10:25 AM

Cities:
NYC
San Francisco
Chicago
Seattle
Washington DC
San Diego

Love the wine country (Sonoma, Alexander and Napa valleys in California)
Yosemite National Park

((H))

abram Dec 27th, 2012 10:27 AM

I don't have one single favorite place.

For theater and museums, I love NYC.
For skiing, Utah and Colorado.
Everyplace we've been had something interesting to offer. We've done road trips in New England, Tennessee, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York's Hudson Valley, Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin.
We liked the cities of San Diego, Phoenix, San Francisco, LA, Las Vegas.
Still so many places we haven't been!

suze Dec 27th, 2012 10:35 AM

Vermont!!! it's fabulously beautiful. I love the people and the atmosphere there. Actually most of 'new england' really... Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine are all gorgeous and interesting.

California is my next favorite state. It's where I grew up. Rich in history and natural wonders.

The Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington) where I live now are spectacularly beautiful too.

sassy_cat Dec 27th, 2012 10:43 AM

My top 3 favourite states in order..

Hawaii.. fabulous beaches, great hiking opportunities, snorkeling, whale watching, and more
Utah.. A hikers dream with red rocks galore, also ski resorts and views to die for.
California.. a bit of everything for everybody from cities to nature

I also love NYC and New Mexico

sassy_cat Dec 27th, 2012 10:47 AM

For a road trip with stunning scenery I'd pick the 4 corners AZ, UT, CO, NM if you have at least 2 weeks or more.
CA would be my next choice or for a shorter trip.

november_moon Dec 27th, 2012 10:47 AM

What a question !!! This will be good for several hours' worth of day dreaming :)

Ok - so...

California - of course - like sassy-cat said, a bit of everything for everybody. I don't think you can beat CA. Wonderful coastline, great beaches, mountains like you won't believe, great cities...

New Orleans - stole my heart the first hour I was there :) And there are good places for road trips in that area too.

Washington DC - such a treasure trove of Americana and so much of it is free. AND they have great public transit so you can go everywhere and see everything without having to find parking :)

spirobulldog Dec 27th, 2012 10:57 AM

Cities-
Portland, OR
Seattle
San Francisco
San Diego
Washington DC
New York

National Parks
Yellowstone
Yosemite
Arches
Mount Rainier

A few scenic places that aren't National Parks-
Columbia River Gorge
San Juan Islands
Hwy 1 between San Francisco and LA
Oregon Coast
Hwy 12 in Utah
Beartooth Hwy
Buffalo River area in Arkansas
Burney Falls

Since you mentioned National Parks at the beginning of your post, if you haven't been to Yosemite or Yellowstone, those are must do's, IMOP.

nytraveler Dec 27th, 2012 11:43 AM

My first must dos are NYC and Washington DC. but then, I'm a city person.

But, for beautiful countryside - I love upstate New York when the fall colors are at their height. Not as dramatic as mountains or gorges - but beautiful rolling countryside with lovely lakes with incomparable color.

Tomsd Dec 27th, 2012 12:00 PM

As noted - so many great choices - and don't forget possibly flying into Salt Lake City - and visiting the classic old/victorian themed mining town/ski area - Park City - and from there - up to Yellowstone. You could go on to Glacier, Montana and through Idaho on the way back to say Wash state, and/or Oregon.

Tomsd Dec 27th, 2012 12:01 PM

However - if you want some early American/colonial history - Boston down through DC and Philly would be great.

Dickie_Gr Dec 27th, 2012 12:19 PM

Charleston

suze Dec 27th, 2012 12:53 PM

how in the world did I forget Hawaii?!?!?!?!? Probably because I don't think of it as a "state" although certainly it is. More like paradise here on earth!

Place that #1 on my list above, please. suze

wekewoody Dec 27th, 2012 03:46 PM

Yosemite National Park - Tuolumne Meadows when the wildflowers are blooming. The Valley when the dogwoods are blooming and the falls are gushing.

kodi Dec 27th, 2012 04:18 PM

Oh what wonderful answers !! Thank you all so much . I had forgotten Hawaii too and fortunately I have been there . Seems I have so,many new places to visit . Ad so,many new places in my bucket .

yestravel Dec 27th, 2012 05:56 PM

Hi Kodi! U must come visit DC. My favorite city is San Francisco. I love driving up the coast from SF into Oregon. both states have gorgeous coastlines.

Shanti Dec 27th, 2012 06:07 PM

Yosemite. The valley in winter and early spring. The high country the rest of the year.

Favorite areas would be northern California and southern Utah.

I'm not really big on cities (well, except for Paris but that's not pertinent for this thread) but San Francisco is interesting and it's got a great location with stunning scenery.

kodi Dec 27th, 2012 06:48 PM

Hi yes travel ! Washington DC is certainly on my list .
So many beautiful places to visit .

Ackislander Dec 28th, 2012 01:37 AM

Nantucket
New Mexico
Montana mountains
Sonoma
New Hampshire mountains
Maine coast

New York
Washington
Boston
Toronto
LA
Philadelphia
Bay area and San Francisco

suewoo Dec 28th, 2012 02:33 AM

Cities:

Charleston
DC
NYC
NO
Memphis

Country
Hunting Island, SC
Acadiana in Louisiana
Monument Vally, AZ
Canyon de Chelly, AZ
Badlands, SD (it's like being on the moon, but with gravity)