Reload this Page >

Where is the world's biggest travel disapointment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:18 AM
Steve

It seems like everyplace in the world is trying to get visitors to come to their little piece of heaven. As a regular traveler I find that some places I visit that sounded so great in the travel brochure were just the pits. To be honest, I do not want to waste my time and money again and want to use the experience of people on this board to send me in the right direction.

So my question to the board is: Worldwide, what is the worst travel destination on earth that sounded like it might be great in the brochure? Thanks!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:20 AM
xxx

Reading a post that ask the same question that has been asked and asked and asked.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:22 AM
xo

God, Steve, get a life. This question HAS BEEN ASKED REPEATEDLY and RECENTLY!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:39 AM
OliveOyl

Do I have to spell this out again? LOL Oh eric...are you out there? gt;

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:52 AM
Beverly

Isn't amazing that these "best city" or "worst disappointment" initial questions always sound exactly alike. Methinks there's a big troll out there using multiple names!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:22 AM
Stella

I think that Steve's question was a little more specific than "Where's the best/worse". Jeez, cut the guy some slack. Steve you asked what is the worst travel destination that sounded like it might be great in the brochure?
It's a good question, and I'm not so sure you'd get the truth here either. I remember reading about this wonderful B&B in Pennsylvania, many years ago. Not only did the literature make it sound like Heaven on Earth, every travel review did too. It was the Glasbern Inn (I think in Allentown, should've know better huh?) Anyway, one word that was used constantly to describe this place was Bucolic. The grounds were described as having walking trails, birds singing, wonderful views of the countryside, you get the picture. When we got there, let me tell you what we saw. CONSTRUCTION! Yes they was a development being built behind the Inn property (which I believe the Inn owners were developing). Houses were being built, trees had been removed, my view was of a bulldozer on the hillside. Needless to say I was disappointed. The Inn itself had no sound proofing. So we could hear EVERYTHING that went on next door. Not exactly the romantic getaway in the bucolic setting described in the brochures.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:31 AM
curious

I think Steve has a valid question as well. Maybe someone can save others from wasting time and money on a dissapointing trip. Personally the biggest travel disapointment I experienced was a weekend to Cape May, N.J. People went on and on about how beautiful and quaint it was. Was I disappointed! There were a few nice inns, but the oceanfront was marred by some very ugly hotels and condos. The scenery at home is far more beautiful than Cape May. I guess I was expecting it to be like Nantucket, Kennebunkport, Chatham or some other pretty coastal town. My recommendation regarding Cape May is don't bother!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 11:13 AM
Laura

I think I would have to say that Brighton, England, was sure a big disappointment. Tacky. And I wasn't very taken with the Brighton Pavillion, either. Both look beautiful in the brochures, but not up close in person.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 11:26 AM
Angie

Easily Cancun, mexico. wildy tacky and overdone. Think gatlinburg or Panama City suring the height of Spring Break! Love Jamaica, Barbados and Bahamas in caribbean. Canun on the other hand has a large Walmart and is dominated by restaurants such as TGI Fridays, Outback steakhouse, applebees and the like! Even thought he beach is beautiful, I will NEVER go back!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:03 PM
Jerry

Innsbruck, Austria. Expected to find a more glamorous looking, chic ski resort town, steeped in historic significance. Rather plain. No nice lodgings. Beautiful mountains but better viewed from Switzerland and Italy.

The Alamo (just so no one else has to write in and restate this one).

Pisa, Italy. Don't bother visiting.

The first time I visited Los Angeles in the early 1980's I was disappointed. Coming from the east where large cities are dominated by vibrant city centers, interesting architecture and such, my expectations were all wrong. The downtown in LA is less interesting than Houston's and Indianapolis' for Pete's sake.

I thought Stonehenge was a big disappointment. What with all the folklore/legend/speculation surrounding its origin and significance. Just some rocks in a field, nothing around there, can't even get close to the stones without arranging a special limited tour.

Zurich. Functional, not especially attractive, no frills kind of business center. The people of Switzerland are not exactly poster children for hospitality and seem just as pleased to have you leave their country off the tourism list.

Savannah, GA disappointed me a great deal. Most of the city is dirty and crime ridden. The historic area was smaller than I expected and less well maintained than I thought it would be.

Salt Lake City. The pinnacle of dullness for a city its size.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:11 PM
Cindy

I think this is a perfectly acceptable question. Indeed, one great thing about this board is that one can cut through all of the brochure hype easily.

That said, I guess it's time for my annual cruise ship industry rant. Ah, they make it look so great in the brochure. Just you and your travel companion, alone on a secluded beach, alone at the pristine pool, alone in your two deck chairs sipping a drink, alone and gazing into each others' eyes at dinner.

The minute you get on board, you get a life boat drill, and then find every inch of the ship positively packed, no privacy anywhere but your little dark cabin, with music and general announcements blared at you day and night to intrude on any intimate moments you might be planning.

For me, and IMVHO, once is more than enough.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:29 PM
GOL

Ireland. Maybe I expected more, but once is enough.

The "Horseshoe Curve" in Altoona, PA. First, the roads they make you take to get to it are as circuitious as the Railroad. Second, the only way to get a perspective on the curve is to look at the postcards by the cash register. There are on lookout points. You can walk or take a cable up the hill, and see/hear a train pass. But you can not get the perspective to appreciate the reason and purpose of this Railroad wonder.

It's like trying to see the NYC skyline standing 1" away from the World Trade Center.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:36 PM
Lighten Up

Maybe Steve is new to this site. We were all first-timers once. Give him a break. You loosers who remember all previous messages should get away from your computer once in a while.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:05 PM
traveller

I was terribly disappointed with
Fiji. While I thought the Native Fijians were wonderful, we could not walk anywhere without being accosted by store owners (not Fijian) who literally grabbed us and tried to pull us into their stores to buy, buy, buy or even worse, the street vendors who just wanted us to go down a dark alley for a great deal. This was in Nadi. The islands were quite lovely though. Maybe I am getting jaded as I have travelled a great deal but I expected more in terms of relaxation and beauty.

I was truly impressed with Venezuela the first time I went in 1990 but upon my return in 1998, found that the coup and the change in government had made a great difference and things were not better.

Cabo San Lucas, well I really don't need to say much more than the name.

On the plus side, NZ, Australia, England, Ireland, Montana, South Western USA, some parts of Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Alberta - all have been great.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:03 AM
Sal

Without a doubt, Lava Hot Springs, Idaho. What a great marketing machine they have. We thought we were headed for a little slice of Nirvana. Instead, we found a dumpy town that my kids found a little scary.

OO - I can't even utter the word so soon after the recent debate, but yes that is THE worst.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:28 AM
OliveOyl

We cannot, nay we MUST not, let our voices be silenced Sal. LOL That's my #1 too. GATLINBURG. There, I said it.

#2 is Cancun followed by Acapulco. It's not that they were so terrible though, unlike #1. They just fell FAR short of expectations. Acapulco, with machine gun armed soldiers patrolling the beach and unidentifiable debris floating in Acapulco Bay. And Cancun was as if someone had picked up some entire US city and plunked it down in Mexico. I could have stayed home and seen more diversity.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 04:59 AM
sue

i agree with "Lighten Up". i was thinking of asking the same question that steve did, now im glad i didnt while looking thru responses. To "xxx" and "xo" maybe you spend too much time on this board???!!people like you may "turn off" newcomers to fodor site. remember everyone has been a "first" timer to this.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 05:44 AM
Al

Agree with most of the above, but can add a few of our own: Land's End, Cornwall, England; Great Smokey Mountains, North Carolina; Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin; Tiajuana, Mexico; Miami, Florida; Dallas, Texas; Estes Park, Colorado...and the grand prize winner: Liverpool, England.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:04 AM
Karen

In the US, I would say Tombstone, Arizona. OK Corral, Boothill Cemetary and other attractions are done so poorly and there is not a decent restaurant in town...It could be alot more interesting and made to look authentic. It is a shame, there are so many people that want to see what they have read and heard about.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:29 AM
Beachbum

I could not agree more with cindy. What I anticipated a cruise to be, and what it was in reality, was the difference between a Yugo and a Mercedes. It could not end fast enough. And they continue to send me offers for my "next exciting week of relaxation and entertainment!". In a word - "never".