Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where is the most beautiful place to spend 1 night in Idaho on route from Spokane to Canadian border?

Where is the most beautiful place to spend 1 night in Idaho on route from Spokane to Canadian border?

Old Jun 15th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in final planning stages of trip and am looking for a suggestion of where to spend 1 night in Northern Idaho. We will be flying into Spokane and heading to Banff area and might spend a night in Idaho. I want to get some driving under our belt so don't want to stay too close to Spokane.

Since this is going to be our only visit to Idaho I would love to see what people say is the most special, beautiful. We would be interested in low key hikes, lakes, rivers, etc. Whatever is quintessential Idaho in this region is where I would like to go.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Ike

Just east of Spokane. I would go to Paws Up myself........

http://www.cdaresort.com/

http://www.pawsup.com/resort/
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Ike - CDA is too close to Spokane and although Paws Up looks lovely it is in Montana and doesn't seem to be on the way to Canmore/Banff where we are heading. Any other suggestions?
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Ike

Fly to Calgary, rent a car, drive to Banff and stay at Chateau Lake Louise, drive up to Jasper and spend a few days at Jasper Park Lodge. Experience Canada. Next time fly to Boise, ID and drive to Sun Valley. Drive up to Darby, MT and stay at Triple Creek Ranch then drive back to Boise. Or fly to Missoula and stay at Paws Up and Triple Creek. Wyoming is nice too. Fly to Jackson and stay at the FS Hotel.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM

What route are you taking between Spokane and Banff? Are you coming into MT?

Sandpoint is beautiful, but it's only an hour and half from Spokane.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Ike, sorry but I am a little overwhelmed with all of your suggestions for routes and places where I have no plans of going.

I am flying into Spokane from Boston arriving late at night and staying overnight there. We will get up in the morning this Thursday and head out. Our destination is checking into a timeshare Friday sometime in Canmore. Originally we were going to go straight to Jasper but realized it was too to far to go for 1 night and then head to Canmore.

Kurieff, to be honest we aren't totally certain the best way to go from Spokane to Canmore. I think we are going through Cranbrook but don't have the exact route. I am definitely open to suggestions if you have any.

So for all day Friday and Friday night is where we need to decide where to stop, but I want it to be not just a place to stop but a great area and something really worth stopping for. On our way back 10 days later to Spokane airport we will also be looking for a place to stop, this time closer to Spokane so we don't have such a long drive to the airport the day we fly out.

I hope this isn't totally confusing. I would love a great suggestion.For some reason we are just frozen with coming up with a good idea. We have been so busy planning our week in the Banff area that this has just not been coming together.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Ike

Fly to Spokane....get in your car........drive about half way to Banff and stay at a the Best Western in Bonners Ferry.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Ike

Why are you flying to Spokane from Boston to get to Banff........look at a map. Unless you have kin folks in Spokane your best best is to fly to Calagary from Boston and drive about two hours to Banff.............
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Ike

You need to stay in ID a week.......

Since this is going to be our only visit to Idaho I would love to see what people say is the most special, beautiful. We would be interested in low key hikes, lakes, rivers, etc. Whatever is quintessential Idaho in this region is where I would like to go.

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:55 AM

Ike, I'm guessing airfare to Spokane was a good deal. It's hard to get good airfares into ID, MT area.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Juldie, your question mirrors some of our vacation discussions. I think that Ike's suggestion sounds good. Our quandry is that I think Idaho might take a few days stop on its own. I'm interested to hear others' opinions on this.