Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where is the best Zoo/the best Aquarium in the U.S? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-is-the-best-zoo-the-best-aquarium-in-the-u-s-309290/)

Maira Apr 21st, 2003 06:17 PM

Where is the best Zoo/the best Aquarium in the U.S?

I take every opportunity I get to visit a zoo or and/or aquarium. There are however, occasions when I wondered whether a particular zoo/aquarium is worth the time and $$. Just this last Sunday I visited the New England Aquarium in Boston and was highly disappointed; did loved San Diego (how could you not?) and Bronx Zoo. Gladly surprised by New Orleans and Waikiki's. <BR><BR>Care to share which zoos/aquariums you recommend? Which ones are a &quot;don't bother&quot;? What about the Denver Zoo?

hotdogz Apr 21st, 2003 06:47 PM

National Zoo, Washington, DC<BR><BR>Definitely worth the $$, because it is free! (your tax dollars at work!)

LaurenSKahn Apr 21st, 2003 06:52 PM

Ok, I am going to vote for the Aquarium in Baltimore, MD, with the one in Long Beach, CA, coming in second. This is just from the Aquariums I have seen, mind you. I have seen the one in Monterey, CA, that everyone raves about but the one in Long Beach is better.<BR><BR>For zoos, I am going to vote for the San Diego Zoo based on what others say because I haven't seen it. The National Zoo in DC is free (I live in the DC area) but it has a lot of problems and is not supposed to be one of the better zoos. San Diego is the one everyone talks about.

SloPugs Apr 21st, 2003 07:02 PM

I haven't personally been to a better zoo than the San Diego Zoo. New Orleans was ok, but it was October, and everything looked so &quot;Brown&quot; (the vegetation) and dry.<BR><BR>I personally haven't been to a better aquarium than Monterey Bay Aquarium. The kids (but not me) went to Long Beach, and told me that they didn't like it as much as Monterey. The one in New Orleans was ok and so was Scripps Institute in La Jolla, CA.

Burnham Apr 21st, 2003 07:04 PM

Best Zoo: San Diego<BR>Best Aquarium: Monterey, Shedd (Chicago)

Rudy Apr 21st, 2003 07:06 PM

I've visited many zoos and consider the San Diego zoo to be the best. As for the best aquarium, the Baltimore Aquarium is superior. It's the National Aquarium, and deserves to be.

Patrick Apr 21st, 2003 07:25 PM

For the US, San Diego's is the best zoo I've seen, by far -- but not anywhere near Singapore's. I'm not an expert at aquariums, but Monterey is surely nicely done -- and the sea life center at Seward, Alaska which is somewhat limited in scope is outstanding.

BarbaraS Apr 21st, 2003 07:26 PM

My family really enjoyed the Tampa aquarium this year.

Lunardi Apr 21st, 2003 07:30 PM

Best zoos: San Diego and Columbus<BR><BR>Best aquarium: Monterey Bay Aquarium

Idnas71 Apr 21st, 2003 08:13 PM

St. Louis Zoo is very nice... and also free. I really want to visit the San Diego Zoo sometime. (Too many years of seeing Joan Embry on the Johnny Carson show growing up... just haven't made it there yet.) The Aquarium in Chicago is my favorite, mainly for the room with the glass wall that looks out into Lake Michigan... gives the appearance that the tank is never-ending.

rjw_lgb_ca Apr 21st, 2003 08:21 PM

Zoo: San Diego Zoo.<BR><BR>Aquarium: Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach CA.<BR><BR>Both in great locations, both well-done.

deirdres Apr 21st, 2003 08:44 PM

Also when in SD--visit the Wild Animal Park. Not quite like a regular zoo---you ride a monorail and observe the animals in their &quot;natural&quot; habitats. The only problem--it's really tough to spot the cool animals (the big cats) they're usually lounging in the shade.

LaurenSKahn Apr 21st, 2003 09:42 PM

I do have the San Diego Wild Animal Park and Zoo on my list for my next home exchange in Long Beach in Christmas. Unfortunately I ran out of time during my recent trip (for one week) and didn't get there. I will go down on one day, see one or the other, stay overnight and see the other the second day and then return to Long Beach.<BR><BR>I am also thinking of an overnight (1 night or 2) to Palm Springs. I will be back on these boards to ask questions just before I go--don't worry.

Travelnick Apr 22nd, 2003 12:06 AM

Second Chicago Aquarium - much better than Boston. Its a fantastic aquarium and the only problem is that subsequently everything else disappoints (e.g Sydney and more so Waikiki). Lincoln Park Zoo is nice to walk through as it is free and becomes part of a stroll north from the centre, but not one of the world's great zoos.

Stephanie Apr 22nd, 2003 12:24 AM

I use to live in Baltimore in late 1980s and went to the aquarium. Haven't seen many others, but this one has to be the most superior in the country. The view and size of the tanks is amazing. Definitely, definitely go to Inner Harbor and see this place.<BR><BR>

EmilyC Apr 22nd, 2003 04:43 AM

I think high marks should go to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson. While it may not be the largest zoo in the country, the information and exhibits for the southwest are outstanding. The number of &quot;hands on &quot; and docent lecturers are also impressive.

gmoney Apr 22nd, 2003 04:52 AM

I've always liked the Brookfield Zoo outside of Chicago. Much better than the National Zoo in DC. Also liked the New Orleans Zoo. Never been to San Diego's zoo so can not compare as that seems to be the gold standard.

Dick Apr 22nd, 2003 05:56 AM

Best Zoo San Diego.<BR><BR>Note to Rudy...The Baltimore Aquarium calls itself the NAtional Aquarium in Baltimore.<BR><BR>Most people don't realize that there is an aquarium in DC...although not a great one.<BR><BR>The National Aquarium <BR>http://www.nationalaquarium.com/

karenvk Apr 22nd, 2003 06:06 AM

Dick, as I was scrolling through and reading the posts, I too was going to tell Rudy about the National Aquarium in DC. We visited a few years ago and it was this dingy tiny aquarium in the basement of a federal building. You could almost feel the asbestos! The National Zoo is still great but I also liked the Phoenix zoo and although it's been over a decade since I&quot;ve been, the LA zoo was nice too.

ccolor Apr 22nd, 2003 06:14 AM

Columbus, Ohio - you just can't go wrong with Jack Hanna behind you.