Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where is the best Conch Chowder, Conch Salad, Conch Fritters...? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-is-the-best-conch-chowder-conch-salad-conch-fritters-29269/)

Owen O'Neill Jul 24th, 1998 06:05 AM

Where is the best Conch Chowder, Conch Salad, Conch Fritters...?

I recently returned from Key West and was psyched (prior to arriving there) to have conch in every imaginable form. The fritters were good (in 2 out of 3 locations), but the chowder and particularly the salad were disappointing. If I'm traveling in Florida and/or the Carribean in the future, where should I try these delectable items? <BR>

bob Jul 26th, 1998 02:01 PM

Conch Chowder- World best is at Manny and Isus at Oslamorada, Flo located S. of Key Largo and N. of Marathon Key. May have the best key liome pie too. <BR>

Kyle Jul 26th, 1998 10:55 PM

Try the "Turks & Caicos" island of "Provodenciales" (Provo). Conch is farmed there so you won't find it any fresher. YUMMY <BR>

Susie Jul 31st, 1998 09:57 PM

I had the best conch fritters in Paradise Island, Nassau. It was in this little Bahamian restaurant, that I can't remember the name. It will be easy to find, it's the only inexpensive restaurant on the island! It was the sauce the made it so good. A spicy mustard concoction. Most places use a type of cocktail sauce. <BR>

Iriss deVocht Aug 1st, 1998 03:41 AM

Last year I went to the Bahamas. We joined a bus tour and we drove to a little market. The people sold conch Salad. And it was delicieus. If you want some information about the Bahamas, Florida , Arizona, california, Nevada,just mail me.

soccergirl Aug 17th, 2004 12:25 PM

The Turks and Caicos! And in particular at Bugaloos on the beach in Blue Hills. It's nothing more than a native/local shack on the beach and they (Bugaloo and assistant) literally pull the conch from the shell and prepare it right there.Best conch fritters ever. Great conch salad and other fish too - depending on what's been caught that day. A fantastic 'bring your own cooler' kind of place.

GoTravel Aug 17th, 2004 12:27 PM

Fried conch in the Abacos!

Yes, I know this thread is six years old.

Statia Aug 17th, 2004 12:42 PM

I've had my best friend conch at a little Chinese restaurant around the corner from me. Go figure. :)

Scarlett Aug 17th, 2004 12:47 PM

On the Nassau side of the bridge going over to Paradise Island. A little neighborhood lunch place. The Best Conch chowder I have ever had.

the thread might be old but the food is still good :D

Shane Aug 17th, 2004 01:08 PM

Bimini. I've also had the tastiest bread in Bimini.

JeanH Aug 17th, 2004 02:21 PM

Best conch ceviche is on Ambergris Caye, Belize.

OO Aug 17th, 2004 03:23 PM

Nassau...it used to be the Sonesta Hotel, don't know what it is now. Conch salad, oh yum!

TxTravelPro Aug 17th, 2004 03:36 PM

Kyle, I am with you on this one!
T&amp;C is just an awesome place... WITH excellent food!

dcespedes Aug 17th, 2004 03:39 PM

Scarlett took the conch...I mean, words right out of my mouth! It's been years but, yes, I remember it well ;;)

Gene Aug 17th, 2004 09:09 PM

Can someone explain what a conch is? It certainly does not sound appetizing? Is a conch like a clam, or is it like some other mutant Florida seafood?

makai1 Aug 17th, 2004 09:28 PM

&quot;mutant Florida seafood?&quot;

LOL Gene! :D

Conch is the little critter that lives in the beautiful pink conch shell...

Ya, they're kind of like a clam... very tasty.

The best fresh conch salad I've had was whipped up before my very eyes on Great Abaco Island, Bahamas... at a streetside stand by a guy named George.
Great stuff.

ccolor Aug 18th, 2004 02:23 AM

Conch Chowder - Tugboats in Key Largo. They've won the chowder cook-off for many years now.

Callaloo Aug 18th, 2004 03:18 AM

Conch chowder -- the old Le Deck restaurant on Providenciales, T&amp;C.

Conch salad/ceviche -- Grand Turk. We took a trip to Gibbs Cay with Oasis Divers, snorkeled for conch, and then watched the salad being made right in front of our eyes.

Conch fritters -- so many fritters, so little time.... Some contenders:
- B.O.'s Fish Wagon in Key West
- De Loose Mongoose on Tortola
- The Sand Box, Caye Caulker, Belize
- The Banana Boat, Providenciales
- Sappodilly's, Great Abaco
Etc.

Marianna Aug 18th, 2004 03:21 AM

Scarlett, it's been years for me also, but that's the place that came to mind when I read this. I wonder if it is still there?

JackOneill Aug 18th, 2004 04:04 AM

A conch is a big slug that lives in s shell. It tastes about as good as it sounds. In 40 years of travelling to the Keys, I have never, ever acquired a taste for conch. It's tough, rubbery and has no taste. Then again, I don't like clams, so what do I know.

I always thought it was one of those tourist foods. Kind of like Key Lime pie. Everyone who goes to the Keys feels obligated to eat conch and Key Lime pie. Of course, I like Key Lime pie. Then again, I like just about any kind of pie.

But I loathe conch.