Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where is the best blue collar town in America?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Blue

I am tired of hearing about visiting cities in America that are more suited for elites and snobs tahn real Americans. The typical blue collar American is more interested in ribs than french food, monster trucks than classical ballet, professional wresling than opera and fishing over museums.

Where can a real red blooded blue collar American have a good time!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Guy

Buffalo New York, that is a real mans town!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:43 AM
meatand potatoes

Oakland, California. Where a man can still be found doing an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:01 AM
ga

Worcester, MA.

The home of Dr. Robert Goddard, inventor of the liquid fueled rocket, father of modern rocketry.

The home of Bob Cousy, surpassed only by Michael Jordan.

The home of Abbie Hoffman, founder of the 60's Yippie movement.

The home of the smiley face

Where the best restaurant in town, Mac's Diner, has a machine gun turret for a skylight.

Where the hospital lobby is nicer than any local hotel.

Where the birth control pill was invented at the Worcester Foundation for Experimental Biology.

In Paris, they planted trees along the river running through the city...in Worcester, we paved it over.

Also, affectionately known as Wormtown.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Eric

I have to agree that the travel press and the people on this board are always hyping elite places for highly educated people. Have you really looked at the census recently. The average person makes $25,000 a year, drives a truck and has a high school degree at best.

They are interested in blue collar activities!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:37 AM
lucy

The difference being, you can find Budweiser, trailer trash and trucks in any city in the country. You cannot always find class and sophistication.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:27 AM
x

.....Pittsburgh,Pa.-----for blue collar and elite types..the melting pot..a good shot and a beer town...love our Steelers,Pens and Pirates.and also the ballet,symphony,and museums...and high balls and micro brew...oh ,and yes our Iron City Beer....a diverse town.I love this town....

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Bill

X is correct! Pittsburgh is the place to be! And the 3 Rivers Arts Festival opens this weekend in Gateway Center. You can peruse the outdoor artwork and crafts booths while slurping down a Pepsi and chomping on a pierogie and then head to Market Square for a great fish sandwich and an Iron City beer at the Oyster House!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:58 AM
sandra

Right on ga - Wuster was the first city that came to my mind. Your description hit the mark but I still like it. The new Massachusetts Viet Nam Memorial is in Green Hill Park - everyone should visit it sometime it's really moving and very well done.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 01:04 PM
beersy

100% Milwaukee. If you like beer and sausage and walking by a beautiful lake with the sun shining on your belly, is there any other option?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Luvitall

I don't think there is any such thing as a "blue collar town". I think there are both "blue collar" and "blue blood" things to do in every town. Take New York for example: you can do cultural things such as the Guggenheim Museum or visit ultra gourmet restaurants and stay at the Ritz. You can also do blue collar activities like going to a baseball game or coney Island, eating at Pizza Hut and staying at the Holiday Inn Holidome. Rarely will you find a city these days that "only" has blue collar activities. For example Milwaukee was previously mentioned, I happen to know there are plenty of gourmet restaurants and a very nice art museum. Any city that doesn't have a mixture of both is probably not big enough to be a tourist destination.

I personally like a little of both. Our family never eats at fancy restaurants, rarely stays anywhere nicer than a Hampton Inn, but sometimes on vacation we go to pu-put golf and go-karts, other times we tour museums or see broadway shows. Not everyone on this board is an elitist or snob as you put it.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:15 PM
jason

Luvitall

Very well said.

Interesting how quickly the notes on these boards promote stereotypes.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 04:21 PM
will

That's because it is much easier to embrace a stereotype than it is to actually learn or know something about people or anything for that matter. I have always found that young people and ignorant people embrace stereotypes more quickly than any other group. A classic example is racism. Rarely do you see an intelligent person embrace racism, the poster child of prejudice and stereotyping. Just watch any negative responses to this post and you will see an example of youthful ignorance.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Barry

Streotypes are true 90% of the time. Blue collar towns have a distinct feel to them and that feel makes a blue collar person comfortable!

A blue collar will not feel comfortable in Beverly Hills or Palm Beach, or will a professional well educated person feel comfortable in a neighborhood where everyone drives a truck or works on an assembly line.

That is the truth!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:34 AM
nomad

The only thing one needs to be "comfortable" in any place or town is to be comfortable with themselves. Embracing stereotypes only makes one feel better about themselves at someone else's expense. Whether they are true or not, stereotypes promote division and segregation which, in my humble opinion, is destructive. People are not so simple as to be classified that easily. Signed: a "highly educated" person from a "working class" background who loves to travel everywhere!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:46 AM
gc

Worcester, MA...a blue collar town...

A steel cutting town
An abrasives factory town
An old mill town at the head of the Blackstone Valley, birthplace of the American industrial revolution
Population, 105,000 +/-
Home of the Worcester Symphony Orchestra, as good as any in the country for a city of this size
Home of Mechanics Hall, a Victorian concert hall with unmatched acoustics...it is not uncommon to see Yo Yo Ma (sp?) in town recording there.
Home of the Worcester Art Museum, a world renowned institution
Home of Higgins Armory, the largest prrivate collection of Medieval armor in the world
Home of the American Antiquarian Society, one of the leading primary research institutions for American History
Home of Strand's ski shop, simply the best in the country

This message is not brought to you by the Worcester Chamber of Commerce. This message indicates that a blue collar town need not be bereft of culture.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Hank

I doubt the true blue collar people (assembly line, garbage truck triver, fork lift operator, etc) are going to these cultural activities talked about above. At least not in great numbers.

They are at the monster truck races and WWF pro wresling next town over!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:39 AM
gc

Worcester, MA...a blue collar town...

Monster truck races and WWF(E) at the Centrum center
Home of the first Dunkin Donuts franchise
Home of the Summer Nationals, a custom hot rod free for all
Where Candlepin Bowling was invented in 1880 by Justin P. White
Home of Wormtown Rugby, The 2001 Division I New England Rugby Football Union Cup Champions

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:52 AM
TT

Why is it that when people can only afford Budweiser, living in a trailer, or buying a truck that they are considered white trash? I have met trash that live in million dollar homes in Bev Hills and drink Dom. Let's not categorize people based on what they can afford and base it on what type of person they are.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:53 AM
xxx

So what you are really saying is that the average American is:

Uneducated
A Slob
White-Trash or Black-Trash as it is suited
No interest in trying different things
No interest in being educated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -