Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where is Duke's in Waikiki? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-is-dukes-in-waikiki-475675/)

Nancy03 Sep 21st, 2004 12:26 PM

Where is Duke's in Waikiki?

Is there more than one? I'm staying at the Halekulani - can we easily walk there?

beachgirl86 Sep 21st, 2004 12:30 PM

As far as I know, there is only one Duke's in Waikiki. We were there last month, and it is in the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. The Outrigger is between the Royal Hawaiian the the Sheraton Moana. I'm not sure if the Halekulani is within walking distance. Duke's is great!

Suzie Sep 21st, 2004 12:31 PM

Only one Dukes in Waikiki:At The Outrigger Waikiki Hotel
2335 Kalakaua Ave., Suite 116
Honolulu, Oahu, HI
tel. (808) 922-2268
fax. (808) 923-4204

Another Dukes very near the Marriott on Kauai.

kamahinaohoku Sep 21st, 2004 01:24 PM

Yes, you can walk there.

Rusty Sep 21st, 2004 02:42 PM

According to MapQuest:
Start out going Northwest on KALIA RD toward BEACH WALK.
Turn RIGHT onto SARATOGA RD.
Turn RIGHT onto KALAKAUA AVE.
End at 2335 KALAKAUA AVE (Dukes's)

Total Est. Time: 2 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 0.70 miles

Schildc1 Sep 21st, 2004 05:26 PM

We stayed in the Outrigger Waikiki last month. Duke's is part of its complex. Make sure you have a reservation for dinner there! Even with one, it wasn't one of our best dinners in Honolulu. Try House Without a Key in your own hotel. The view was great and so was the food. Don't know about La Mer and Orchids because they were a bit too pricey for us. Enjoy your stay!

luv2go Sep 22nd, 2004 05:46 AM

From the Halekulani, it is a short walk along the beach to Dukes. Not a gourmet meal, but one of our favorite restaurants anywhere!

BTW, the Dukes website now lists a Hula Grill in Waikiki as well, and it gives the same address as Dukes. Not sure if they have split the restaurant up or what. Maybe someone who has been to Waikiki recently can advise.

Dukes is owned by TS restaurants, and they own The Dukes in Kauai and Waikiki, the Hula Grill and Leilanis,and Kimos in Maui, plus some others in California.

Schildc1 Sep 22nd, 2004 06:23 AM

One evening when, without a reservation, we tried to get into Duke's but couldn't, we went upstairs to the Hula Grill(with a 40 min. wait). The service was wretched, but the food was so-so. It was opened in April, I believe, so they still have a few things to work on. The menu is a bit more casual than Duke's, but not so laid back as the Barefoot Bar. We wanted to get into the latter that evening, but it was jam-packed with 20 somethings desperately trying to "hook up." The people at the desk suggested we try the Hula Grill because there was "no waiting."(See the truth above.)

anna_k Sep 22nd, 2004 06:02 PM

If you're there on a Sunday, be sure to check out the band that plays outside of Duke's by the beach, they were a lot of fun. I think they play from 4-6pm.