Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where in USA, after the most famous destinations

Old Oct 18th, 2019, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi all
I have been lucky to have found this forum to plan my trips to USA twice in the last 3 years or so.

I assume that i have visited few of the top most famous destinations in USA in both East & West Coast and both done on separate visits and i think this was a good good decision.

In East coast i have visited New York, Washington DC, Niagara, Shenadoah NP, Miami, Orlando and few close by cities/towns

In West, i followed the most talked about and beautiful circuit in California from LA to SF and touching and exploring few near by towns and cities.

Note : We mostly would NOT like to re-visit a particular destination, especially that we have seen it in the nearby past

Again, i wouldn't want to do both East and West either and therefore trying to find another circuit which i could follow for my next trip in either June 2020 (we may go to Europe) or 2021 for 25 days. At the moment trying to figure out what can be the best of choice for us.

We love big cities, shopping(which i think can be found anywhere in US), high tech theme parks and always want to include small towns and National parks which are scenic and beautiful. For us, scenic beauty is non-dessert(for example we wont like Nevada Np) and rough mountains, rather we love green and scenic ones, lakes, rivers, glaciers, waterfalls etc etc.

Noted : tagged destinations is only random

Hoping to get best of the Advises from you all

Thank you
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 03:28 AM

On your last trip, you debated Yosemite vs. Yellowstone. Since you did not visit either, I would suggest you plan a trip to Yellowstone. This might include flying into Jackson. WY and going to Grand Teton NP then Yellowstone and depending on your time, interest, etc. going to another area in the northwest, either by returning the car and flying or driving perhaps going to Glacier NP or to Seattle, WA, or Portland, OR
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Forum Moderator

We have deleted some of your 25 state tags because they throw off the page formatting.
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 07:31 AM

Washington State, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver and Alaska...
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 08:19 AM

For the east coast, Boston up to Maine. For the middle of the country anything between Chicago and New Orleans. The Pacific Northwest also includes Alaska.
As a geocacher for the past 14 years I have found at least one cache in each of the 50 states. I found a lot of places that I would never have discovered without my GPS and the geocaching website.
The world HQ of geocaching is in the Fremont section of Seattle.
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 09:09 AM

I can say from recent experience that both Great Smokies NP and Acadia meet your criteria. You could do a Mew England loop that includes Boston (for the big city part) small coastal towns, and Acadia. You could even continue to Quebec and Montreal should you have enough time.

For Great Smokies, you could visit Asheville, Savannah, Charleston, Nashville and hit the beach, too. Just skip Gatlinburg - itís really awful (unless you like a tourist-made destination full of wax museums, escape rooms, chain restaurants and the like). You could also visit Atlanta - Iím not a fan but others are.
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by asimm View Post
We love big cities, shopping(which i think can be found anywhere in US), high tech theme parks and always want to include small towns and National parks which are scenic and beautiful. For us, scenic beauty is non-dessert(for example we wont like Nevada Np) and rough mountains, rather we love green and scenic ones, lakes, rivers, glaciers, waterfalls etc etc.
I think a big loop around the Pacific Northwest would help you meet most of the above objectives. Specifically...

- Big cities, shopping: Seattle, Portland and Vancouver BC are three of the most beautiful and exciting cities in North America. Oregon has no sales tax, which, combined with several big "outlet" shopping centers, makes it something of a shopping destination even for people from other parts of the region.

- High tech theme parks: Aside from the obvious Florida and California destinations, you're not going to find large "high tech" theme parks in most of the US. However, in June, a one way ticket from, say, Seattle to LAX or SNA (Orange County airport) is under $90, so it needn't be a deal-breaker. On the other hand, you could visit places like the Museum of Flight in Seattle, second only to the Smithsonian for air and space exhibits, or visit the Boeing Everett factory, half an hour north of Seattle, home of the big jets and the biggest building in the world.

- Small towns, national parks, scenic beauty, lakes, rivers, glaciers, waterfalls etc.: More options than one could list in a year. For example, Google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/uGoAZ8o7SBNML81s8 or this one - https://goo.gl/maps/EQwVNTirDVqMWKr67 or this one - https://goo.gl/maps/3QvKnAnS8KsWhe3G8

(Pictures, mostly not mine)

Columbia River Gorge

Multnomah Falls

Hood River Valley and Mount Hood

Wallowa mountains near Joseph, Oregon

Hoh rain forest, Olympic National Park

Victoria, BC

BC Gulf Islands

Mount Rainier from Vashon Island (near Seattle)

Snoqualmie Falls, 30 min. from Seattle

Old Oct 18th, 2019, 03:26 PM

I'd concentrate on many of our National Parks (don't overlook State Parks), maybe some of the Utah and Arizona parks plus Yellowstone and the Tetons although a few at the lower elevations could be a little warm in summer. We have some interesting cities but I would emphasize the European cities over US ones since they tend to have more history just due to their age among other reasons.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emalloy View Post
On your last trip, you debated Yosemite vs. Yellowstone. Since you did not visit either, I would suggest you plan a trip to Yellowstone. This might include flying into Jackson. WY and going to Grand Teton NP then Yellowstone and depending on your time, interest, etc. going to another area in the northwest, either by returning the car and flying or driving perhaps going to Glacier NP or to Seattle, WA, or Portland, OR
Yosemite and Yellowstone, requite too much early planning and especially bookings
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 05:11 AM

Hawaii is one of the best state to visit in USA and Haleakala crater is the best place to visit.....
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 07:11 AM

New England is a very beautiful part of the country with a lot to see. You could start in Boston, a lively and historic city, then explore the Maine coast up to Acadia national park, then over to New Hampshir'e White Mountains, and west into Vermont. You could even spend a night or two in Montreal, a very fun city just an hour from Vermont. You could also visit Newport Rhode Island, Cape Cod, Martha's Vinyard, Mystic Seaport,, etc.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 09:16 AM

Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington)

or Hawaii!
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 02:28 PM

I'd also vote for the NW part of the US, Oregon and Washington states, given where you've been already. In 3 weeks, I suppose you could even drive all the way down to San Francisco for a departure city. That's probably a bit much, though, if you include Vancouver or something, but I could do it.. It's certainly closer than Alaska, though, that's for sure. That would have to be a flight, I presumed you meant road trip but maybe not. Plenty of parks in Pacific NW like Columbia Gorge area and Mt Raineier. There's a very nice park area near Tacoma WA also. I went to the Mt Rainier area for just a couple days once, other than booking a hotel in advance, which I always do anyway, it wasn't any special trouble because I just went there for day hiking. It was summer, I stayed in Ashford which isn't too far from the park. You can stay in the park lodge if you want, I didn't.

this was where i stayed near Mt Rainier.
https://visitrainier.com/nisqually-lodge/

I don't know of any high tech theme parks up that way, but that's not my thing so I wouldn't.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by asimm View Post
Yosemite and Yellowstone, requite too much early planning and especially bookings
Not really. To stay in Yosemite Valley does require booking far in advance. But because people book so far in advance there are also lots of cancellations. The Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal, or cabins or condos in Yosemite West and Foresta are just outside the Valley, so people will reserve there and continue trying fior an opening in the Valley. They will usually be succesful. And if they aren't, El Portal and Yosemite West are absolutely fine. Except for over Christmas and the Bracebridge dinner or special vintners dinners, I never book in Yosemite more than a month or two in advance.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 10:33 PM

Along the Eastern Seaboard, New York and Washington, D.C. offers two uniquely different city experiences. Along the West Coast, San Francisco and Los Angeles are both hot spots for tourists. In the Southwest, Las Vegas brings the desert to life, and the Grand Canyon shows off one of nature's greatest creations. Beyond the mainland are the beaches of Waikiki and the tropical Hawaiian Islands. These are just a few key locations, but wonderful destinations for any type of traveller can be found all over the country.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 06:27 AM
mms

The PNW is great (born and raised here), but Rainier is not a viable option for most visitors in June. It is still covered in many feet of snow and so the hiking trails are not accessible if you are in regular boots. You would need micro spikes or possibly snowshoes, depending the trails. The gorge, ONP and the coasts of both OR and WA are great in June though.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 05:03 PM

Chicago, New Orleans, Santa Fe?
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 01:49 AM

I'd suggest New England as a potential option, we loved our trip there, the route of which is here

goo.gl/maps/qcaZtCbceziV1inG8

We loved the mix between city (Boston), lovely small towns cities (drive from Boston to Acadia), scenery/mountains (Acadia, White Mountains, etc) and then a bit of R&R (Cape Cod)
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 02:35 PM

My vote remains the same... Hawaii or the PNW
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Hello all
Thank all for your suggestions but we have now changed our plans and would now be traveling to Australia and New Zealand. This would be our 2nd trip to Australia and 1st ever trip to the beautiful Nz and we are soo looking forward to this trip

Thank you, again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO