Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where in the USA should I go in mid to late April...and why? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-in-the-usa-should-i-go-in-mid-to-late-april-and-why-770153/)

maggie21083 Feb 28th, 2009 07:44 PM

Where in the USA should I go in mid to late April...and why?

Ok here is the deal. I am going on a press trip in mid to late April. I have been told that I can go anywhere in the US as part of one of the many tourism boards and hotel companies we deal with. So...where to go and why? Does a certain city have a festival, big concert or other event happening in that time range. A few cities that I DO NOT want to visit due to, well living in them or visiting them on my own this year include New York, Boston and Chicago.

So feel free to post...I need some good ideas! Thanks.

Also if you have time head on over to my blog: www.nomadicandy.blogspot.com

Happy travels people!

maggie21083 Feb 28th, 2009 07:45 PM

Ugh...I apologize...I was signed in under my wife's screen name. It is ok though, just reply here and I will check. Thanks and again apologize for that.

Andy

NorCalif Mar 1st, 2009 02:47 AM

Hey Andy (known as Maggie) ;->

Can you tell us a little more about your interests? Places you've already been? How long you will be able to be ... wherever? Are you looking only for some special event, concert, etc. or would you consider someplace that is interesting itself?

gail Mar 1st, 2009 04:17 AM

While not event-specific, the southeast US is beautiful that time of year - Charleston, Savannah. Also thought of Washington - but I think that is late for cherry blossoms.

Remember Easter is mid-April (4/12) - so festivals and events may be somewhat limited around that date. Also, a number of public schools scedule a school vacation around Easter - much of New England gets week after 3rd Monday in April - don't know if that makes a difference, but just something to be aware of.

HKP Mar 1st, 2009 06:32 AM

Andy - you've posted under your wife's name, asked us to do some homework for your job for you, and invited us to your blog before. You could spend a little time on various cities' C of C webpages and get the answers yourself, but we Fodorites sometimes can't resist being helpful, so ...

I notice you tagged the northwest plus California, Texas (and NY, but why? You've already ruled it out).

Seattle - no, I don't know if they have a festival then, but don't most cities have something going on all the time? Seattle's beginning to come out of its winter gloom then, for one thing. And it's a very youthful city, which should appeal to you.

San Diego - always good stuff.

Gail's right about blooming coastal southeast, too. I would assume some cities near spring-skiing might also work for you.

HKP Mar 1st, 2009 06:33 AM

PS: When you come here for material, do you quote us?

GoTravel Mar 1st, 2009 06:42 AM

I second the suggestion for Charleston South CArolina.

Cringo Mar 2nd, 2009 04:33 AM

I agree -- Charleston. I visited in April. The weather was perfect. I plan to go back!

Wayne Mar 2nd, 2009 03:23 PM

Just one question: How much homework and research have YOU done to narrow your choices?

pocohontas3 Mar 2nd, 2009 03:50 PM

Williamsburg, VA area

Rich Mar 2nd, 2009 03:56 PM

How could anyone not come to Texas???

bkluvsNola Mar 3rd, 2009 11:35 AM

April 17-19 is the French Quarter Fest in New Orleans. http://www.fqfi.org/

April 24-26 is the New Orleans Jazz Festival. www.nojazzfest.com

Both events I would highly recommend.

bkluvsNola Mar 3rd, 2009 11:35 AM

Forgot to mention that the weather in April in New Orleans is fantastic.

SAnParis2 Mar 3rd, 2009 12:11 PM

All great suggestions so far, but I would recommend the SW. Rent a convertible, lots of things will be blooming & the weather will likely be perfect. NM or Az. Hard to beat Jazz Fest though.

SAnParis2 Mar 3rd, 2009 12:11 PM

Key West would be pretty nice as well.