Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where in the US to live? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-in-the-us-to-live-94017/)

eva Nov 17th, 2000 05:30 AM

Where in the US to live?

I am a Canadian from Toronto marrying an American from Seattle and we are planning to live in the States (he can't work here)...what in your opinion is the best city to live in and why?

S Nov 17th, 2000 05:43 AM

That would depend GREATLY on what you do professionally; like to do in your free time; whether you prefer urban, suburban, or country life; where family is located; whether you like to deal with snow in the winter; etc. Seriously ask yourself how important is it to live "close" to family. (I live 300 miles from my parents and 700 from my in-laws. There are advantages and disadvantages to being close and far away.) <BR> <BR>There's an old adage that if you like where you came from, you'll like where you're going. With that in mind, a number one priority is where ya'll can get a job.

Ceecee Nov 17th, 2000 05:47 AM

Too bad you can't live in my favorite city, Toronto, but Seattle is right up there! It's one of the few cities still reasonably sized, physically beautiful without suffering severe weather usually, moderately cosmopolitan without being crushingly hypercultured, and welcoming to newcomers for the most part, although your husband would not be one. <BR> <BR>Depending on your own priorities, which you don't list (size, culture, social profile, accessibility, mass transit, jobs, climate, etc. etc. etc.), I would recommend also San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston, largely because most other cities in between and south may seem very parochial after Seattle and Toronto. <BR> <BR>I didn't mention the obvious, New York, because you have to join the religion of New-York-lovers to live there and be willing to change your entire lifestyle -- including paying a huge percent of your income for housing that will be so small that you'll have to get rid of most of what you own and specialize in furnishings designed for small boats. For some people, the culture, sophistication, and resources are worth it. <BR> <BR>Another also-ran is Wash. DC -- it is an odd mix of internationalism and very self-absorbed parochialism about US politics. An exciting and pretty place to live, but traffic and political nonsense might do you in.

eva Nov 17th, 2000 05:48 AM

I would definitely prefer an urban City. He is graduating from law school so would also like a City and I am just looking for administrativve work.

Vanessa Nov 17th, 2000 06:07 AM

Eva, <BR>I'm going to endorse my own city of Chicago because it's what I know best. Sure, it's 30 degrees out right now, and snow flakes are falling, but when I was walking to work this morning (downtown), I was thinking I've never seen anyplace so beautiful. Do you love Christmas? It is my absolute favorite holiday, and there is nothing like walking down Michigan Avenue in December when snow is falling. It's amazing. <BR> You sure wouldn't be bored in chicago. Plus our three months of summer can't be topped. Everything revolves around the lake, and it's beautiful. Plus, the job market is booming right now in Chicago. <BR>So, why not give Chicago a try???

X Nov 17th, 2000 06:41 AM

Just what we need in this country another vulture lawyer. Why don't ya move to Palm Beach County, Florida, I hear the lawyers are making a killing.

Daniel Williams Nov 17th, 2000 08:57 AM

Hi Eva, <BR> <BR>Having lived in Montreal for 5 years and visited Toronto on a number of occasions, I think Ceecee has a very valid point about parochialism and Boston, Chicago, DC or San Francisco are great suggestions. I think you might also want to check out Philadelphia as well. Living in Baltimore now, I found I missed the vibrancy, diversity, excellent public transit, cultural opportunities, fantastic restaurants and convenience of Montreal. Philadelphia I found fulfilled all my requirements, but with less of a price tag than the cities that Ceecee mentioned. Philly (and Montreal) are my top 2 choices for my next job (once my 2-year fellowship ends here). <BR> <BR>Good luck! Dan.

Ceecee Nov 19th, 2000 01:00 PM

Daniel's right about Philadelphia, although I'm a little surprised at his comments about Baltimore. Re: prices, if you can afford housing in Toronto ro Seattle, I'm not sure you'll find Boston a lot more expensive, and Chicago will seem very affordable. Washington will get expensive with a change in administration, because there will be a lot of buying and selling. Happens every 4 or 8 years.

charles Nov 20th, 2000 10:38 AM

Boston is a wonderful city to live in. Vibrant downtown, lots of culture, lots of recreation, very pretty. I love it. <BR> <BR>Downside? Everyone loves it - its the third most expensive city in the US after New York and San Francisco. Also, winter (though its warm by Toronto standards). Summer and Fall are gorgeous though.

Daniel Williams Nov 21st, 2000 08:47 AM

Hi <BR> <BR>In response to Ceecee's surprise about my comments about Baltimore: certainly, compared to many places in the country, Baltimore has a fair amount of diversity, cultural opportunities and restaurants. And the public transit, while not as good as in the other northeast cities, IS better than in most of the South, West and Midwest. A few parts of the city ARE vibrant, such as the revitalized Inner Harbor, but in a more touristy/suburban/conventioneer sort of way. <BR> <BR>Culturally, there are two outstanding art museums and the Baltimore Symphony and Opera can put on quite a good show. There is also an alternative cinema and a few theater places. <BR> <BR>That being said, Baltimore has no Chinatown (no place to get dim sum), a very small Latino community, the metro does not even RUN on Sundays, there are very few fashion boutiques and only a handful of truly top-notch restaurants. The city in most sections (even many of the more lively ones) feels like a ghost town on weekends, with the exception of touristy Inner Harbor and sorority/fraternity-dominated Fells Point. There's a very suburban mentality here which takes away from real city culture. I end up watching movies on many weekend evenings. <BR> <BR>As I always tell people, you can do a lot better, but you can also do a LOT worse. I also must add that I believe the city is on a real upswing, given its fantastically central location. Its proximity to Philadelphia, DC and New York City are a real plus, for those who want the occasional cosmopolitan fix (and also bring these same people to live in Baltimore). Maybe later I'd want to come back but right now, I'm ready to move on. <BR> <BR>

Jeannie Nov 21st, 2000 01:26 PM

What states does your boyfriend wish to apply for admission to practice law? A lawyer cannot just pick up and practice in any state in the U.S. Each and every state has its own admission requirements, which include an exam, a very lengthy application, and a fee of around $1000. For example, here in Florida, it now costs over $900. just to APPLY to to take the Florida Bar exam. The exam is given in Tampa, only in Feb. and July. The application itself is several pages long, asks for very personal info, including every job and address the applicant has ever had, mental health records, arrest records, divorce and custody records, bankruptcy records, etc. The review process can take up to six months. A legal intern in my office took the Florida Bar in May. She found out she passed in September, but the review of her application is not yet complete. So, she cannot practice law yet. <BR>I am certain that almost every state has the same type of stringent requirements.

City Nov 22nd, 2000 07:00 AM

I have lived im any places including Seattle, Vancouver, Florida, California, etc. <BR> <BR>I personally far prefer the San Francisco Bay area with San Diego a very close second. One big facto ir the weather. The Pacific Northwest is much too rainy and dismal for my liking. The SF Bay area is very diverse culturally end ethnically with a lot to do and see. San Diego has the best weather and is a very liveable city. Both areas are booming economically. The SF Bay area is very expensive to live but the opportunities here are unmatched anywhere elee in the country.

Jason Nov 22nd, 2000 02:36 PM

I live in D.C. and love it. But I have one word of caution if you do consider moving here. Your husband-to-be could have trouble landing a job with a firm here unless he was in the top 25% of his class at one of the top tier law schools. D.C. firms tend to be pretty choosy, even in this job market. I've had several friends who have had to leave the area to get jobs with firms. The ones who have landed jobs had pretty hot credentials. <BR> <BR>If you do choose D.C., live in the city, not in the burbs. If you don't have to commute, D.C. is the best place on the planet to live.

Gee Nov 24th, 2000 07:12 AM

Gee, Eva, why don't you let your boyfriend decide where he wants to take the bar. Sounds to me like you are a control freak.

Marlena Nov 25th, 2000 09:44 AM

The latest issue of Money magazine has a feature on the best places to live in the US and they said: <BR>- Portland <BR>- Chicago <BR>- Providence <BR>- Raliegh/Durham/Chapel Hill <BR>- Salt Lake City <BR>- Sarasota <BR> <BR>Marlena