Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where in Southern California to visit between Christmas and New Year's?

Jun 30th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

DH and I would like to visit some part of Southern California from December 26 to Jan 1 or 2. We would have to fly in to either San Diego or LAX.

DH has never been to California. I have been a few times. I want him to get to see and do as much as possible in a 5 or 6 night stay.

We are in our late 50's, can walk but are not in great shape. I know he wants to tour a studio, see the ocean, Hollywood, Sea World.

I am thinking 3 nights in San Diego and 3 nights somewhere near LA.

I was just in San Diego in April, and loved it. However, we would not be able to stay where I stayed then, which was near Claremont Mesa. (Home of nephew's friend.)

We don't want to spend more tha $150. per night on a hotel. We like HIlton properties, especially, Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, and Hampton Inns.

We are not foodies and are not interested in wineries.

Suggestions on location, activities, accommodations are welcome.

And no, we cannot go at any other time of the year. That is the ONLY week DH is off.
Jun 30th, 2014, 11:41 AM

We've seen all of the movie studios and found Warner Brothers to be the most satisfying. Good luck finding hotels of the kind you like (in desirable locations) for the amount you have budgeted.

HTtY
Jun 30th, 2014, 12:00 PM

I think it will be difficult to find hotels at that price over the holidays but my favorite spot is Carlsbad which is just north of San Diego -

I there is a Hampton Inn in Del Mar- not walking distance to beach or town but not a long drive-
Del Mar is also a charming little town and a great beach
Jun 30th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Your budget is pretty low for LA, keep in mind hotel tax is 15% per night. You are not going to find an Embassy Suites in that price range.
You might find something in that price range in Hollywood (kind of gritty).
Jun 30th, 2014, 01:50 PM

Suggest you spend 4 nites in SD and 2 in LA. Easier to get around in SD (much less traffic) and less expensive.
Jul 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM

My suggestion is to be a commuter like most of us Angelenos. There is a Hampton Inn in Sherman Oaks that looks to be in your budget. And Sherman Oaks is not a dump, it's a well-to-do suburb of LA in the San Fernando Valley. Driving time is right now 26 minutes to Hollywood and in light traffic 17 minutes.

What about the San Fernando Valley? Check out this web site.

http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/bl...o-valley-guide
Jul 2nd, 2014, 08:49 PM

Disneyland is amazing during The Holidays.
Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:02 AM

There's a Hampton Inn on PacifiC Hwy across from the bay in Downtown. Downtown the street closer to the USS Midway is an Embassy Suites. Whether or not they are in your budget.

Same for the very well located Homewood Suites Liberty Station.

There are hotels on Hotel Circle which I imagine you will find within your budget. So, I'm sure you'll find something.
Jul 3rd, 2014, 07:55 AM

Traffic is lighter on Saturdays and Sundays in LA, so I would fly into LAX and start your trip there. Check the one-way car rates dropping San Diego, and you can probably fly home from San Diego unless there is some high holiday one-way car charge.

Hilton Glendale is just under your budget, an easy drive to Warner Brothers and since you're east coasters and will probably wake up early, also an easy drive into Hollywood on Saturday morning or over to Huntington Gardens in Pasadena. The drive to Santa Monica/beaches would be your longest but on Sunday morning it should be fine, maybe 30-35 mins. On Monday, watch your drive time down to San Diego, you don't want to hit the freeway until 9:45am, nor after 3:00pm.

The Empress Hotel in La Jolla comes in a bit over your budget with the $18 parking charge, but it's very nice. Best Western Island Palms at Point Loma would be under budget.

Since it's a Friday, watch your arrival times into LAX. Something between 11am and 2pm would be best. Otherwise consider a connecting flight into Burbank airport which is much easier to get in and out of...especially if you decide to stay in Glendale...it would be worth dealing with the connection probably, if the airfare is comparable which it may well be if you are flying Southwest or United.
Jul 3rd, 2014, 07:59 AM

...forgot about the Rose Parade. If trekking into Pasadena to see that is something you'd want to undertake, then I would start the trip in San Diego and end it in Los Angeles. Hotel rates will be high anywhere near Pasadena, however, and many places are already sold out. But advice for that will depend on whether or not you decide you want to try it.
Jul 14th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the relies thus far. I am also considering San Francisco as well as Southern California. DH has never been to either, so I will probably go with the location that offers the best air fare. (I am not trying to do both SF and SO CAL in one six day trip.)