Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where in FL for first family trip (April 2011)? Orlando? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-in-fl-for-first-family-trip-april-2011-orlando-861105/)

Miss_DC Sep 28th, 2010 10:58 AM

Where in FL for first family trip (April 2011)? Orlando?

I apologize in advance for my long, two-part question.

After having two kids two years apart, I am finally feeling ready to tackle travel again. My little ones will be 3 and about 16 mos next April. We'll be flying from DC, and are OK to rent a car. We also need suite accomodations - it's just easier to deal with the afternoon naps and early bedtimes than a single room. Where can we go in FL that will be warm enough for beach or the pool, and has some non-water based activities that are family friendly? I've been to Miami millions of times, and would consider that, but also would be interested in going to the Gulf beaches (oil spill permitting).

Here's the second part of my question: I've done some looking, and of course, that time of year, suite accomodations are expensive. The one cheap (relatively) area that keeps popping up is Orlando. I guess with all those hotels, the rates are pretty low, and there are plenty of family-friendly suite accomodations with toddler-friendly pools. My hesitation is that I never imagined doing Disney with kids quite this young. I know people do it, but I'm looking for a very laid-back sort of vacation - is this possible at Disney? Will it be so crowded in April that people ambivalent about Disney (me and DH) will be totally turned off and stressed out?

vjpblovesitaly Sep 28th, 2010 12:48 PM

Isn't everywhere in FL warm enough for beach or pool in April?

Have you thought about Siesta Key? There are some nonwater (I take this to mean non-swimming) things in that area. Jungle Gardens and Mote Marina are two I can think of

gail Sep 28th, 2010 01:40 PM

With kids that age I would plan a beach vacation rather than Orlando. If you go to the east coast of Florida and want to save some money, there are quite a few newer hotels right off I-95 - my brother lives in the West Palm Beach area, I visit him every late winter/early spring and just can't afford a beach front hotel. It is usually a 10-15 minute drive to a beach and such hotels usually have pools, many include breakfast - so many major chains to pick from - I would go to Trip Advisor and shop around.

I like the west coast of Florida better. Check out what is available in Fort Myers Beach area - although you will likely have fewer inexpensive options there.

Easter is late this spring - so try for earlier in the month - might be a bit less expensive

kmt0778 Sep 28th, 2010 03:16 PM

Have you considered St. Augustine... or the Panhandle area... Destin, FL?

travelbug2000 Sep 28th, 2010 05:02 PM

Siesta Key is a very mellow beach destination on the west coast. I wouldn't go to Orlando for the parks with kids that young.

Miss_DC Sep 28th, 2010 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions - I've looked into the ft. myers area, and it's too pricy for a one-week condo rental in april. i will check out siesta key though - a quick search on vrbo showed prices generally lower than ft. myers. Would we fly into Tampa to get to siesta key?

As for Orlando, what about not doing the parks (or at most, one day at the parks)? Has anyone ever just spent their vacation hanging out by the pool and doing other non-park activities?

kmt0778 Sep 29th, 2010 09:25 AM

Tampa International (TPA) is the closest airport to Siesta Key (around 50 miles away).

I have gone on vacation in the Orlando area and not gone to the parks, but I live in Florida.

tchoiniere Sep 29th, 2010 09:26 AM

Sarasota Airport is closer than Tampa but prices are generally higher. That being said, I have been seeing cheaper flights into Sarasota lately. May be worth checking out.

kmt0778 Sep 29th, 2010 09:43 AM

Oops... SRQ is closest. : )

Taking a quick look at Hotwire, TPA does not look substantially cheaper than SRQ. Depending on when you go in April, the rates are mid- $200 to mid- $300 per ticket.

persimmondeb Sep 29th, 2010 11:47 AM

April is going to be pretty crowded for Disney, but probably worse towards the end of the month, since Easter is late. You could do an "Orlando Lite" kind of trip that wouldn't make you crazy with very small ones, and would keep costs down. I am always astounded by how much free or low-cost amusement there is to be had on Disney property (Downtown Disney is really great for young children), and you could do a day trip to the beach. You might think a day at Sea World was worthwhile for very little ones, or maybe a water park. And with so many values in accomodation, you could get something with a really good pool.

MollyinFL Oct 12th, 2010 09:51 AM

You might want to check out Sanibel Island, you can fly into Ft. Myers. I spend every vacation chillin on the beach or by the pool.

L_Garabito Oct 21st, 2010 01:23 PM

Siesta Key offers plenty of quiet 2 bedroom condos with fully equipped kitchen- right on the beach. And the beach is soooooooooo nice and warm there. Also, i've found the beaches on the west coast of FL to be more calmer and therefore toddler-friendly. I spent a week in a little condo on the beach there with another couple who had a 16 month old and it was wonderful. Whenever the baby wanted her nap- my friend would just go back to the room while the rest of the gang hung out at the beach until the wee hours. Siesta Key is really a gem and i highly recommend it if you're looking for tranquility. Plus its more economical than Disney. As much as i looooove Disney and i think its GREAT for kids of any age- Disney gets jam packed beginning April and starts to calm down around September.

Good luck and Have fun on your trip!