Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where do you put the money or personal belongings when you play the water sports (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-do-you-put-the-money-or-personal-belongings-when-you-play-the-water-sports-523451/)

etalk888 Apr 22nd, 2005 09:59 PM

Where do you put the money or personal belongings when you play the water sports

Hello:
I have never been to Hawaii and will be on my first trip the coming week. I was very excited about it! However, I am wondering where do you put money or other personal belongs before you get in to water (swiming or snorkling, etc.) Do they have a locker on the beach? I will not have a car in Oahu and I am planning to go to Hanauma Bay for snorkling the first morning. I will be stay at Waikiki (Ilikai Renassions). What bus should I catch in order to get to Hanauma Bay? Also, I was reading a lots of reviews about Hanauma Bay, and almost every reviewed mentioned to get there EARLY! How early is early? What time will the place open in the morning? Will there be public transportation available early in the morning? I think that we need to bring some cash in order to pay for the ticket and other expenses (snacks or lunch) before and after snorkling. How do you usually keep your cash while in the water? Any suggestions? Greatly appriciated!

Thanks

dusty56438 Apr 23rd, 2005 12:50 AM

It opens at 6 am. It's closed on Tuesdays. No need to go that early, but 8-10 am is fine. They will close the parking lot often around 9 am for those driving in.

The bus system here is very efficient. I'm sure it starts 5 am or sooner. www.thebus.org

This is the official Hanauma Bay Website:

http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/f...ay/welcome.htm

Click on: Information. It will tell you what bus to take (#22), info about lockers & gear to rent, etc. When you rent a locker, you can put everything valuable in it.

Entrance is $5.

You may want to take an underwater camera with you.

You can also book a trip (rather inexpensive) through a number of tour companies. I think they have better equipment than what you will find at the park. The tour will only charge a few bucks more to get there and back than The Bus costs.

iamq Apr 23rd, 2005 06:44 AM

Scuba stores and outdoor outfitters sell little plastic sleeves or containers that can be clipped to your bathing suit.
-Bill

suze Apr 23rd, 2005 07:43 AM

The bus you need to Hanauma Bay is marked "Beach Bus" or something like that on the front, I ended up on it by accident just going across town.

But as mentioned you can book a van tour that picks you up from your hotel, includes a lesson and decent equipment for $12-15. A family from the hotel I was staying at did this (Feb '05) and liked it alot.

There are different methods for underwater - tube type things that hang around your neck, wallets that clip on your suit, etc. I would try not to have anything of much valuable on me, leave your room key at the hotel desk, take just a small amount of cash for that day, etc. A beach bag with a towel, sunscreen, sunglasses that aren't of great value should something happen.

ipod_robbie Apr 23rd, 2005 09:35 AM

I think Papillon had a good system for keeping money safe.

jpiwaron Apr 23rd, 2005 06:27 PM

ipod robbie, I'm sure most people won't be keeping their money safe that way. I know I won't.

There is a small waterproof box (otterbox) that I'm interested in though for this purpose. I think the website is www.otterbox.com

No, I have absolutely no affiliation with them, and actually, I don't have one yet. I'm just intrigued.

bart Apr 25th, 2005 05:28 AM

Not sure what the reference to Papillon means??

However, when we visited Oahu, we were concerned about the same thing. We got two containers. One was hard plastic, just smaller than a wallet to hold the hotel key card, a credit card, drivers license and some cash - we got it at one of those luggage stores in a mall. The other was soft plastic and a bit larger, it was designed for a cell phone, but we used it for the same as above, but also for the "safe key" for the safe in our hotel room, key for the Jeep we rented.

Both are fully waterproof and float. They both had straps around them that you could put around your neck.

They came in useful at Hanauma Bay and also when we were driving to different beaches. I often put the smaller one in the pocket of my surf shorts and tied the neck strap to a loop on the pocket.

They also had them for sale (the hard plastic type) in the hotel snack shop and in the minibar in the hotel room (Waikiki Sheraton) and also saw them in the ABC stores.

BigJim Apr 25th, 2005 06:25 AM

I just keep everything in my pocket, but that's if you have pockets in your shorts. Some people just leave their stuff in their bags, but it's going to be insanely crowded, so you definitely don't want to do that, especially if you're by yourself.
Bart has a good idea as well.

Yes, you definitely have to go early. For one thing, so it won't be as crowded. One time we got there at 9:00 AM and they stopped letting people in. But we drove. If you go by bus, you'll have no trouble getting in no matter what time of the day you go.

Wednesday Apr 25th, 2005 06:46 AM

I always wore a board short type bottom that had a velcro pocket...luckliy my ID, credit card, and room "key" was all plastic, so I just put them in there...tried not to bring anything else if I couldn't help it...

OldSouthernBelle Apr 25th, 2005 07:09 AM

....and then there are eyeglasses...so you leave them ashore or put them in your water proof box?

It would really hinder my enjoyment of the islands if something happened to them! Not that anyone would want them, but if left in the bag ashore, may get taken up with the rest of the stuff?

I did buy one of the water boxes, but am debating with myself whether the glasses should be in there!...or whether I want to lug it! Maybe just leave them in a plastic bag or wrapped in a towel (sand scratches), separated from the rest of the stuff? :-B Belle

Johnwaron Apr 26th, 2005 06:02 AM

I wear glasses too. Right now, I use a hard carrier with a spring loaded lid that snaps shut. The carrier has either my sunglasses (prescription) or clear lenses. So if it were me, I'd get a waterproof carrier for those glasses and keep 'em with me.

In fact, since I too will be there, I'm getting a case like that. Without my glasses, the trip would be a bit spoiled.

j_999_9 Apr 26th, 2005 07:41 AM

Help with the Papillion reference: Look at your keyboard. Now look at the key to the right of the "L." Now uppercase that key.